Need help! stinky yard!

tinamarie1

This is going to sound so weird....we bought some sand (in bags) from a hardware store about a month ago to level out our yard to put an above ground pool in. Well, it didn't work so well, so we took the pool down and when we pulled it and the liner up, this HORRIBLE smell was there. It is coming from the sand we layed down. It is so bad we can't go outside and Im sure my neighbors are not pleased. Also, every time I let my dog out, she goes and rolls in it...bringing the nasty smell back inside with her.
Is there something I can buy or do to help take that smell out?
It smells like straight up manure. It didn't smell when we spread it out....so I am confused. But really need that smell gone. Help!

witzend

It's more likely that water and some other contaminate seeped into the sand and is making it stink. I think you might have to dig up the sand.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Mold and mildew is my bet.

Play sand has been treated, regular hasn't. Then you add some moisture and cover it over with vinyl/plastic - instant greenhouse.

And this stuff STINKS.

You can try spraying bleach on it - half and half with water, do NOT use ammonia...

Dog won't like it as well, but it will help.

Or dig up the sand, which you may have to do anyway.

Lothlorien

I agree with what the others have said, but the other thing that comes to mind is that if you have stray cats, it's an instant litter box and could be contributing from the smell.

susiestar

Roll With It
I know we had a leak under my parents house that started to stink and we used lime to mix in it and deodorize it. But for the health of the lawn you may have to dig it out and then put sod down, or put grass seed down.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Did you buy a pool from General Foam in Virginia?

I did - and NEVER wanted to STRANGLE anyone single company as bad as I did them. I got a 12' round 3 1/2' high pool and did not see on the box that I had to kill and dig out all that sod - then drag in sand and bank it to a 45 degree angle - thank goodness I live on a sand road and had Dude haul it in - it took me three days and I finally called a professional and no one in my family would talk to me for 2 days.

I'm betting fresh sand and cats and opossums -

You're going to have to dig it out I would imagine.

susiestar

Roll With It
How do golf courses handle the sand traps? NO way could they keep cats and other animals out.

Maybe you could call the groundskeeper for a local golf course for some help?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hence the word sand TRAPS - every time a critter comes into a golf course sand TRAP it is swallowed up and taken hostage into a cage below the course. Then a man goes into a secret underground maze of tunnels and collects all the animals and releases them into the wild miles away.

Gosh Susie * - didn't you see Ground Hog Day? lol. I wanted that groundskeeper job forever. lol

nvts

Tina! Am on the way to take the difficult child's to a family party, but thought you might want to take a look at this website:

http://www.noodor.biz/

I couldn't buzz through too much, but it looked interesting!

Beth