Need help! What kind of laptop/tablet should I get?

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I am in the market for a new laptop or tablet, but I'm not sure what to get. I need something very lightweight so I can take it with me, it'll primarily be used for writing, email, research on the internet, occasional video or movie watching............no gaming. I prefer a keyboard but having a touchscreen would be okay too. Should I get an ipad, the new Microsoft Surface as someone suggested, a Toshiba...? I am not a techie so it can get overwhelming. I could use your advice. What do you recommend? Thanks so much!

Nancy

I got the iPad mini for Christmas and love it for reading, checking the board, facebook, etc. But I don't like typing on it and prefer a keyboard. I also do not like web browsing on the iPad, it's just me, I don't like the apple system. There are also some things you cannot watch on the iPad because of flash. I know there is an app you can download but I tried and just can't figure out how it works and besides it costs money. I don't like that apple charges you for everything that is free on windows. And if you download something you don't like or doesn't work it's nearly impossible to get your money back. Give me windows and google and I'm happy. I would love to know what others thought about the surface or galaxy.

DammitJanet

I answered this before but I would suggest something like the Surface or the HP Envy. Or you can now get small, thin laptops. Im sure there are more tablets like the Surface and Envy out there now. Go to Best Buy and look. Get a feel for them.

nerfherder

I am using an older Dell Latitude Duo XT, converts from tablet to clamshell laptop. I'm running Ubuntu on it, I really like the new Unity desktop layout. And Ubuntu is not difficult to install these days, there's a "build" (meaning installable version) for almost everything reasonable on the market. Not like years ago when I first did a *nix install, and needed lots of help.

I'm twitchy about Windows, and ditched the Windows Vista this unit came with.

Go to the store, handle and look at everything on display. How is the screen size? The text size? How does the screen size handle the window for all the things you like to do? Figure out what you like, write down all the specs (including the numbers and words you don't understand) then go home and read at least five reviews for each machine. What's the most common complaint? The most common positive comment? Then look on-line, see how the prices for Amazon, Newegg, and every other large-name vendor compare. Avoid the smaller and rebuilt-only vendors - if you're not expert in handling slightly tweaky machines, you want to stick with new or a manufacturer's rebuild.

FYI, for all the problems Apple has, its remanufactured prices and quality are excellent, often when you order one the one you receive is actually upgraded from what the web page described, and they hold their resale value better than any other non-customized make on the market. On the other hand, with Apple there is their well known dislike of supporting Flash.

I'm no geek, this is all stuff I've learned on my own. Always buy the largest screen you can afford, always check reviews, always ask yourself is the negative reviewer has a clue of what they're complaining about, always ask yourself if the positive review is someone glad-handing him/herself because they wanted the hottest machine advertized and are going to like it no matter how cr4ppy it is.

DDD

:) This is the blind leading the blind, lol. There is a column called "Savvy Senior" written by Jim Miller. I read it today in the paper because I'm due to trade in my flip top cell for something more sophisticated next month or so. He says one of the best and most affordable smartphones is the Pantech Flex. He also says to check out Galaxy note II which has additional benefits. I'm not sure but I think if you access his column he may have more specific suggestions for meeting your goal. For me, lol, I think pantech will be plenty sophisticated. Good luck. DDD

DammitJanet

DDD, I beg of you, get the galaxy note II rather than the Pantech. Please. You will be much happier. Take it from a phone geek.

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
RE, I agree with avoiding the iPads. My son has a tablet and browsing is a pain because it has such a slow processing speed. The on-screen keyboard can be very touchy so he only games on it now. What I look for first in any computer is the fastest processing speed and most memory I can afford. Second in line is the operating system and last is brand name (there are some brands I just won't ever buy). There ARE some very thin laptops out there.

witzend

I just got the Galaxy 10.1. It's quite nice, but it's going to take a while or a trip for me to give up my laptop. I think that in the long run I will end up using the laptop more as a storage device and for more sensitive banking things. The Galaxy works great for email and surfing and has a .doctor type program.