Need help with eye drops PLEASE!

buddy

If they are available, then go for it. I mean if there is ever a question in the results then obviously you will have to do more but with how frequently you have her examined you will probably get enough info. Hope it works for you.

DammitJanet

Well they had to dilate Cory's eyes when he got the metal in them but that was an injury. And if they have to actually hold her down, why are they not using a papoose board? I have never had anyone attempt to hold one of my kids down when they were under a teen without being on a papoose board. When that is used, parents arent even close to the action.

My boys were magnets for needing stitches so they ended up in the papoose board quite often when they were young.

susiestar

Roll With It
Kiesta, given that you don't have help from anyone you and difficult child know very well, and ESPECALLY that it has had bad results in the past, I totally agree you are on the right course. I didn't realize those two things.

I have talked to a TON of parents here who say their child "can't" have vaccinations or eye exams or strep tests or other problems because the child protests too much or fights or cries. These are NOT in the situation that you are in, they are parents who want to be their child's bff and don't want the poor baby to cry because she gets a headache because her nose gets all stuffy and ehr eyes get all "ugly looking" when she cries. I have heard those 2 things as reasons why the parent MUST do all that is possible to make sure the poor baby never cries again so often that I would be richer than Bill Gates if I had a dime for each time I heard it.

Those parents all say I am a horrible parent and that CPS should take my kids because I will not let them out of shots or having a qtip touch the back of their throat or anything else just because they cry. The idea that the procedure is more necessary than avoiding a momentary headache is seen as being a horrible parent around here. It just astounds me because these are people with kids who are totally easy child and these kids don't protest AT ALL if the parent goes to the bathroom and the nurse does the test when they are not there. I am friends with several people who work at the pediatricians office in our town and they are all just sick to death of it. They have seen kids end up in the hospital and/or have serious long term problems or complications that could have been avoided 100% if the idiot parent just ignored the child's protests and did what was medically necessary. I am not talking about doing things that are not truly necessary, I am talking about basic medical care that many of us would be charged with abuse or neglect for not providing.

So I was responding from a different place, and I support your approach on this given the things you have already tried.

What about hypnosis? Around here there are quite a few tdocs who practice it and several dentists offices who use it instead of medications. husband had a tooth pulled as a teen and the dentist hypnotized him instead of using sedation. husband said it was the easiest dental procedure he ever had done, the dentist gave some suggestion that kept it from being super painful afterword and the healing was much much faster than the ones where they sedated him. So I wonder if you could find someone who could hypnotize her into allowing this?

Given her determination and desire, she seems like an ideal candidate for biofeedback also. It is amazingly effective for anxiety problems, an it might be really helpful to her if you could find a therapist who could teach her to do this. I know one parent (I think Andy) here had a gizmo called a "stress eraser" that her child used for headaches. it just measured the pulse through the index finger but it gave a way to learn to calm yourself. difficult child seems motivated enough that this might help her. Maybe not with the eye drops, but with other things.

I am sorry that it is so tough and that you have no one to help you with this.

Janet, many doctors think the papoose board is 'barbaric' and they want the child's cooperation rahter than to 'traumatize' them with the papoose board. Around here only the ER's have them, and it may be state law here that says that only ER/hospital use is legal. I know most dentists and eye docs don't have them in my area.