Need help with locating candlesticks...

LittleDudesMom

Need some help.

I have a pretty formal home. My living, dining, and foyer are very federal - heavily inlaid furniture and lots of silver in the dining room. I am having a dinner party on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Rather than use my formal china, crystal and silver, I want to set my dining table with all my color-ful fiesta ware. I have a myriad of different color colonial candles and want to find some colorful candlesticks rather than using my silver candelabras.

I have searched here in town at places like Home Goods, Marshalls, etc. But can't seem to find any. I am looking for different sizes and styles and would like about 8 - I'm putting the two leaves in the table!

Anyone have any other suggestions? I wanted to do this last year and looked a little online but couldn't find any. Help....

Thanks!
Sharon

InsaneCdn

Second hand - get creative.
I've used... old tea-cups (use wax to seal the cup to the saucer so it doesn't tip, then wax to seal the candle in...), wooden salad bowls, festive mugs...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well dang it. The factory where Nichole used to work just had their yearly sale. If I'd known I could've picked you up a bunch for a steal and mailed them.

Dollar store, dollar tree, Dollar General, and Odd Lots (if you have one). Odd Lots often has a wide variety due to close outs. Have you checked walmart or kmart?

LittleDudesMom

Lisa, I checked walmart but not kmart - I didn't think about the dollar store or big lots - great idea! Wish I had posted this a while back and we could have done some business together!

Insanecdn, good ideas, but I'm going for a particular look - I want ceramic to match the fiesta ware, want solid colors, and want some good height.

S

Signorina

Will any of these work? Fiesta ware makes candleholders (link 1), World Market has some variety of color in glass or painted ceramic (link 2), Z Gallerie (link 3) has some in white and aquamarine

Do you have a "paint your own pottery" place nearby? Maybe you could go there and choose a variety of sizes and colors and paint them yourself (or w your kids) or ask if someone there could paint them for you?

KTMom91

I thought Fiesta made candle holders, but after checking the website, I found out they don't. They do, however, have vases and too many other cute things!

S

Signorina

dishesfast.com has the candleholders - I don't think my links worked :-( They're Difficult Child'd but still available in many colors. Replacements.com may also have them - my china has been Difficult Child'd for 15 years - but I can always find it at replacements!

susiestar

Roll With It
Pier 1, www.uncommongoods.com, overstock.com, amazon, belk, Ross, TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning (esp them - might check a couple different ones if there are any near you as each store has different stuff to some extent because they do closeouts)

Also get creative. If you have glasses or fiesta mugs you like, fill them with marbles, pebbles, dry beans, rice, whatver and put the candles in there. Or use mason jars - try filling them with unwrapped red and white mints, or butterscotch hard candies, or other hard candies. Or sand, aquarium gravel, whatever.

search amazon, but don't use "colorful candleholders as almost nothing comes up. try fiesta candleholder, candleholder, even put a specific color in the search if you want a certain color.

Also check Michaels and Hobby Lobby type stores.

If you get colorful candles, you can put them on plates or even on tiles from Home Despot/Lowes/etc.... Glue a bit of felt or fun foam to each corner of the tile to keep them from scratching the table, then send them home with guests (candle and tile) as a nice gift. You can even use a sharpie or paint pen to write on the back of many tiles and say "Happy Thanksgiving 2011 from the LittleDudesMom family".

Or get some of the glass tiles that are actually a webbed backing connecting smaller tiles and clue those to the outside of a votive candle holder or straight-sided glass.

Consider using clay pots filled with marbles, etc.

LittleDudesMom

Janet, tried ALL those before - no such luck. Thanks.

Signorina, the fiesta ware pillars are more than I want to spend - I know about those as I am a collector of fiesta ware and $40 a pair prohibits 4 or 5 pair (which is the look I want)! Love Replacements! Actually stop there whenever I'm heading south on 95! They have a great "museum" in the back section of the store - most interesting thing I have seen there are a pair of Wedgwood shoes!

Susie, tired most of your suggestions already with the exception of Tuesday Morning! I will head there today along with Big Lots. I appreciate all the creative ideas, but I have a particular look I'm going for and I need colorful taper candlestick holders.

I can find many pillar holders, but not taper holders.

I'm actually going to hit a couple of the retailers today then go the ceramic route. I did ceramics years ago (talking back when I first got married in the mid-80's) and still have many holiday pieces I use every year! That might be fun.....

Thanks ladies!

Sharon

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Wish I would have known earlier - I cannot tell you how many ceramic taper holders SO has gotten out of storage, and I put in our shop for sale. If you can send me a photo of approximately what you are looking for, I will be down there today and will see if I have any left-Candle holders for some reason really sell out fast. I can check the other stalls (they have about 150 of them) to see if I can find anything.

And if any of you are looking for pieces to your China or tableware, let me know what the pattern is. I have soooo many one or two pieces to various patterns that we come across. I love fine China and silver, so I never toss them (you should see my garage LOL) Will send them to you free of charge - I just hate to dump that stuff-some of the older china is just so beautiful its hard not to keep them. I started a collection of Fiestaware years ago, along with Depression Glass. Had to make a decision to do just one, so gave the Fiesta to a friend who uses it daily. I think I still have a few pieces left somewhere.

Marcie

KTMom91

I'm interested in any of the Fiesta accessories - salt and pepper shakers, sugar and cream holders, pitchers, stuff like that. My house was built in 1918 and I'm trying to get the kitchen accessorized the way it might have been back in the 1920's and 30's. Of course, we have the place half torn up, so it's definitely a work in progress (for nearly ten years...because I can't decide or afford what I decide on, and the process starts again...)

LittleDudesMom

Mary, are you collecting the vintage or the new? You do have to be careful with some of the vintage colors because of the lead content. If you like the new, Macy's has some really good prices when they put it on sale - I've also gotten most of my vintage off ebay and most of my new from a company called Mega China (who I shop with online). They usually have some great pieces of retired colors.

Sharon

KTMom91

Sharon, we eat off the new ones, and look at the vintage ones! I also have antique kitchen utensils hanging from the horribly ugly light fixture in the middle of the kitchen. If I could just decide on a color...and a floor...and a light fixture...and whether or not to tile half the walls...

I'll check out MegaChina - thanks for the info!

InsaneCdn

If I could just decide on a color...and a floor...and a light fixture...and whether or not to tile half the walls...

This is off-thread, so won't post here.
If you want feedback on flooring and lighting and tiling walls and kitchen colors, PM me.
We just went through that last year.

LittleDudesMom

Suz, I never thought about using wood and spray painting!!!!!! Fabulous idea! And the colonial candles that "Martha" has on her project page are the same ones I am using (different colors, but same brand). The wood ones are really affordable. I will probably end up getting eight - four different sizes!

Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions.

Sharon

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Great! I thought the shape was right for your Federal style and I thought the spray paint would be a fun way to accomplish your colorful goal.

by the way, I painted farm/pasture/home scenes and Santas/Angels on this same kind of wooden candlestick for years and always sold out. They are great quality. I didn't watch the Martha video so I don't know if she mentioned sealing/priming first. In case she didn't mention it, I would recommend you do so- it makes for better coverage when you get around to the painting part.

Suz