Need ideas: How to tell your spouse about an unplanned pregnancy?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I know, I know. I’ve been absent for a while. More on that later…

I’d like some feedback from the collective wisdom here on some creative ways to tell one’s spouse that they are facing a very unexpected pregnancy at a very inopportune time.

Thoughts? Experiences? Humorous anecdotes?

Many thanks in advance!

M

ML

Oh my. Congratulations (I think). No experiences but I would just come out and say it and keep expectations LOW in terms of a response as it will be one of shock and likely not what you want to hear. Later will come the joy I'm sure.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh wow. Congrats, and OMG!

I would say... Don't make a big deal out of it, just sit him down and say something like, "Hon, we seem to have a rather unexpected surprise coming..."

And do not not NOT expect him to be happy! That, and the love, will come later... For now...

How are YOU dealing?!

tawnya

When you are opening the mail and talking about it, mention oh by the way.....

It will take him a couple of days to even register that you said anything!

((HUGS))

Okay, since it's April Fool's day just tell him "Guess what? I'm pregnant"....then add in "April Fools"....then say,"April Fools" again. Just to lighten up the situation. Congratulations!!!!! My sister bought a baby onsie and some baby socks for her husband the first time she was pregnant. She didn'y know how to tell him so she wrapped them up in a box and gave him the present.

J

joneshockey

Just being through this myself... I agree about keeping your expectations LOW. My husband was well, less than thrilled when finding out about baby #3 back in August. I must say we had the roughist 3 or 4 months of our 10 year marriage around this time. I can honestly say that my husband enven mentioned to me that he may leave me prior to the birth of the baby. I would say the turniong point for him was my 20 week ultrasound when we found out we were having a girl - Things have been much better since then, however he still doesn't attend doctors. appointments (even the really important ones like having an amino or seeing the pediatric urologist) and hasn't attempted to bond with the baby at this point. I guess my true test will be when she arrive in just a short ocuple of weeks. All I can say is keep your chin up no matter now he reacts things will be ok... I tell you this group of women on this board really have helped me thorough the roughest of times. DON'T be afraid to lean on us!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Congratulations!

And well, though I'd love to give you advice on breaking the news gently....you know your husband best.

If it were me? I might start with: Well, I've found out why I haven't been feeling well lately.... mention something about "test results"....let that sink in for a minute...let him start to worry....THEN tell him you're pregnant. It will be a relief at first...and then a What? Are you sure? How could...? I mean....?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I'm going to put in my prediction now........

It's a BOY.......and Janet will ask you to make part of his name.....Scott. I actually think this will be great. Look how much patience and knowledge you already have!!! Just let me know what color you want for the shower. OMW - It's going to be chick themed. Tastefully done - but little chickies!

Congratulations GCV! This will be just another 'feather' in your cap! lol!

Jena

wow!!! Take a deep breath and just tell him. star's right look how much wisdom you have gained, insight your going to be awesome...... he'll adjust just give him sometime.

((((hugs))))

Andy

"Dear, Remember a while back when you insisted and I said no but you just had too so we did?" It does takes two! Always has, always will!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I tried calling you - your line is steady busy!!!! This must be good news!!!!!! I'm guessing the news was WELL received?

Sooooo SOoooooo HAPPY!!!!!!! :Grouphug::congratualtions:

busywend

I think I would start with a few drinks...for him of course. You don't even have to tell him then, you can just say - remember I told you - it was the night you have a few too many - don't you remember??? Then you can make him feel guilty for not remembering and many presents will ensue!

klmno

Set out a menagerie of chickens- or get some stuffed chickens of different sizes, setting them out like Mamma and Pappa Chicken, little chickens representing the kids you already have, and one tiny extra newborn and see how long it takes for him to figure it out. But I kind of like TM's suggestion- throw a dish towel at him when he comes thru the door and yell "How dare you do this to me again!"

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks so much, ladies. Those are some really good ideas. I'm still undecided about which I like best.