JJJ

I need some medication suggestions that treat depression and anxiety in a teen girl who suffers from hallucinations.

diagnosis: schitzoaffective, PTSD, attachment disorder, borderline mentally retarded, emerging personality disorder

current medications: Vyvanse, Abilify, Thorazine

I know you are not doctors, I am just looking for ideas of what worked for others.

H

HaoZi

The Latuda I'm on is actually for schizophrenia, the PTSD is off-label use.

crazymama30

Seroquel......good for depression and hallucinations. Maybe a mood stabilizer? Not sure why but I am thinking of depakote

StressedM0mma

I was going to mention Abilify, but I see that she is already on it. I am guessing ti si not working all that well since you are asking for suggestions for something else?

susiestar

Roll With It
This website has a list of medications and how they work and what they are designed to do as they treat PTSD. I was looking for the name prazosin and found this site. Totoro's daughter was on prazosin and I looked it up a while back because it was a medication I hadn't heard of. I don't know if it would help or not, and I don't think it is a first line medication, but it mgiht help with specific problems. The site explains things fairly well, and lists a lot of different medications/medication types and how they work.

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/pages/clinicians-guide-to-medications-for-ptsd.asp

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No idea if this is an option, but difficult child 1 started taking Remeron for his anxiety and we added Tegretol XR and he is a much, much more even-keeled kid. All the SSRIs we tried made him disinhibited and did not touch his anxiety (and he ended up doing some wacked out self-harming behaviors) and they did not do enough for his depression. We don't have the other issues, so I can't speak to how it might or might not affect them.

well, since schitzoaffective involves a mood component, i'd add another mood stablizer. lamictal has been a good choice for us, trileptal might be a decent option too.

thorazine is an odd choice, unless she's tried everything else with no relief. sometimes it takes two ms on board to treat the different angles of moods before you see good stability. often a single ms targets a specific set of symptoms and misses others, so you need the second to address the leftover koi.

you dont mention what dose of abilify she is on, but its conceivable she could increase that--its generally accepted that max dose is at 30mg with no real benefit above that, but everyone is different. our experience was that there was short term relief (6-8 wks) at each dose on the way up...then the honeymoon was over and we were back on the hamster wheel of another increase. its part of the reason why, for mine, it hasnt been the greatest option, but i will say in that class, its probably the least of all evils, Know what I mean?? so they could consider adjusting her dose upward and see if that makes any difference.

just a thought.

DDD

No advice from me, sorry. We have ADHD, SA, BiPolar (BP) and use Vyvance, risperdal and an additional medication for sleep. We did have hallucinations following a trial on one medication some years ago. I can't remember which one but difficult child#2 stayed up all night watching television..with the set turned off. Do any of the medications show hallucinations as a possible side effect? DDD

flutterby

Fly away!
difficult child is on Seroquel for hallucinations, depression, and anxiety. Our psychiatrist prescribed it because studies have shown that it works well for anxiety in kids/teenagers and has the mood stabilizing component, in addition to getting rid of the voices.

JJJ

Thanks all -- she is on the max for Abilify, we are trying to get a waiver for Seroquel. She has trialed MANY medications without success. The Thorazine is the first medication that helped at all and the &^%* psychiatrist is refusing to increase it at all.