Need prayers for tomorrow

Andy

Tomorrow is difficult child's 1st day of 6th grade. We visited with his teacher on Friday and I stated that I hope the kids will give difficult child another chance, that he is healthier now than he was last Spring.

This morning he called and told me he didn't feel well. Our house is empty of food (haven't been home for much of the last two weeks and I cleaned out the fridge last night. I told him to drink his gaterade, take a spoonful of peanut butter (protien), use the stress eraser, and call me later. He did call back about 1/2 hr later - "Hello, this is me, difficult child. Sorry I didn't call earlier. I feel much better." "did you have peanut butter?" "No, I want to clean out the game room". So, I don't know if he did ever have the protein or not but he felt better.

Tonight, we went grocery shopping. On the way there, difficult child said he was sad because he is not ready for school. I sent him to get whatever he wanted for lunches this week and snacks (fruit). In the meantime, I ran into a friend and we were talking as difficult child did the shopping. After awhile
he said he felt weird. I told him to slow down and do his breathing. I finished visiting my friend and difficult child decided he felt too weird to continue going off on his own for items. I headed to the restroom and he said that we needed to go as soon as I came out. :sick: Dejavu big time from last year! My heart dropped a little but I stayed strong and didn't let on my fears. We did get a few more things and headed to the checkout. difficult child was very involved in how to put items in the bags. He would do the auto check out based on what needed to go in the bag we were working on (Abbey would be so proud!).

On the way home, I told him that he needs to start on trying to be asleep by 8:00. He was going to set up some more items in the game room (he and the babysitter cleaned out the room and set it up for a Wii room so I bought a t.v. this afternoon and difficult child is still setting up the room.), let the puppy out, eat, take a shower, and do the stress eraser.

There was a message on the phone that the neighbor boy wanted to play (we weren't home this weekend). difficult child wanted to show him the game room so I told the mom that difficult child had about 20 minutes so the boy came over while I made supper. difficult child then put puppy downstairs and took a shower. He is working on his stress eraser and probably will be asleep by 8:30. (I can hope can't I?)

difficult child is very anxious about tomorrow. He showed me a bruise on his side - we don't know what happened - I will look closer tomorrow. He just came out and said he is afraid he came down with some disease from the puppy. I told him he is just nervous about tomorrow and to go throw those feelings away.

I am trying really hard not to show my uncertainty and fears of his school behavior. He has come so far this summer outside the structure and social needs of school. I need to keep postitive and upbeat. He can do this - yes, he can!

Please send positive vibes as difficult child faces another major step tomorrow.
I know many of you are going through the same thing. I send strength to you and your difficult children also.

nvts

I'm so praying for him! I really hope things go really smoothly!

Let us know how it goes!

Beth

susiestar

Roll With It
You certainly have my prayers.

What is a stress eraser? I think the technique of "throwing those feelings away" is pretty cool when used for feelings that clearly are holding you back. What a neat way to phrase it!

I hope the kids give him a chance adn that he has a wonderful day.

Hugs to nervous mommy too!

We do find that making SURE that the kids have protein makes everything in the day go better. Will he eat the balance bars or power bars? Those really make a difference in my kids.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Adrianne,
I'm certainly adding in my prayers that your difficult child has a successful transition into middle school.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Adrianne, sending difficult child positive thoughts for tomorrow. Mum as well.

I also missed the stress eraser (sorry).

janebrain

Adrianne,
kudos to you for keeping it together when you were so nervous at the grocery store! I was feeling those feelings right along with you as I read your post! Will be thinking of you guys today, please let us know how it goes.
Jane

TerryJ2

Andy, the best thing you can do is take it all in stride and just keep him going with-o a fuss. It's hard to find the perfect "place" acknowledge his concerns but not be overly concerned. No easy feat.
He'll do fine. Just one day at a time.
I've got my fingers crossed for both of you.

LittleDudesMom

Adrianne,

I know it's today already, but I didn't get on the board last night. I am sending some prayers up for difficult child today. I know how anxious I was last year when my difficult child began 6th grade - not to even mention how he was feeling! Please update us this afternoon/evening.

Sharon

Andy

Thank you all - your thoughts have helped.

difficult child said he felt weird during chapel which was right away in the morning but felt better after that. He did not call me during break as he used to and I am taking that as a good sign.

I received a phone call from the school at 11:15. "The kids were on the playground......" (OMG did my imagination start - I thought for sure there was a problem) "....difficult child slid down the slide and got his pants wet - very wet - can you bring a change of clothes?" (Big relief) So I ran home and got a change of clothes. He admitted that it was more than the slide but did not want that embarassment on the 1st day of school and was able to convince the kids that it was just the wet slide. Teachers figured it out but they played along with him - he doesn't know the teachers know. He did not feel the need to go ahead of time but said he drank a lot of gaterade at one time before that - so, we go back to the "When Orion needs to go, he goes, no waiting for permission" - the teachers are fine with that.

There is a new boy at school so 4 boys and 4 girls in his classroom. difficult child likes the new boy. It sounds like everyone played well together and accepted difficult child's presence (big YEAH!!!).

difficult child said it was a good day - he forgot to do the stress eraser because he was having too much fun. So, he will only use it as needed.

A very successful day indeed! YEAH!!!

The web site for the stress eraser is www.stresseraser.com. It is a handheld devise that detects how calm you are. The more calm you are, the more points you earn. It teaches difficult child how to breath to calm down. He has been falling asleep with it so I have started to tell him that when he gets sleepy to put the device away and then continue the breathing as if he was working the device.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Adrianne,
I'm glad it was a first good day:) It's great the teachers went along and that difficult child doesn't know they know.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
Glad he had a good day!

How long have you had the stress eraser? Do you feel it was a good investment, did your psychiatrist suggest it, I am curious about it for difficult child II, he is also starting 6th grade

Andy

We just got the stress eraser last Monday night. Our psychiatrist showed it to us a few months ago - because of the cost, he stated he would not ask that we get one, however, if it was something we could fit into our budget, he felt it would help. He did say that it helps lots of people in relaxing.

I think that it will teach difficult child how to calm down - you don't need it if you can be disciplined enough to do the breathing on your own. It is fun to use so keeps difficult child focused on the breathing.

Check out the web site www.stresseraser.com. It has a tutorial on how to use it as well as testamonials. You can also ask difficult child's docs if they have input on it.

I don't know yet if it was a good investment, but I believe any time difficult child spends on focusing to calm down is time well spent.

Andy

We figured out tonight that difficult child forgot to take his morning medications.

He did get very ornery after school. I needed to meet easy child at Wal-Mart where her godchild's grandparents were going to give the godchild to her to watch for the evening. They were late in dropping the baby off and easy child had shopping to do. She then was working with her college advisor to get books for on-line classes. We had to go to the college to get some of the books. difficult child was a pest while shopping. The baby was sleeping so easy child was carrying her. difficult child was holding the baby's fingers and walking alongside easy child who had no patience for him. As we go to leave, difficult child declares that he is going to ride to the college with easy child - Wrong! I had to pull him out of her car and listen to him telling me how no one likes me and that I need help - that his sessions with psychiatrist are not to help him because he has nothing wrong but to help me because I need help. I stated that psychiatrist was a child psychiatrist to which he replied that I act like a child so I need a child psychiatric. :)

I did tell him that easy child used to also tell me that no one liked me and that I was fine with that because I like myself and that is all that matters.