Need prayers please

KTMom91

My stepmother has been battling various forms of cancer for the last ten years - started as kidney, moved to lung, then to brain, and is now in her spine. The doctors have told her she has 4 -6 months left. I just talked to my dad, and she's in horrible pain today; two Oxycontins haven't touched it. She starts her 8th round of chemo with radiation tomorrow.

We aren't terribly close, and we don't see them often, since they're several states away, but I'd appreciate it if you send some prayers and good thoughts to Mary Ann.

Thanks, ladies.

DDD

You've got them coming. I'm sorry for her pain. Thankfully I haven't faced those circumstances yet but a number of people have told me that in home hospice care is available for up to a year. More importantly, they tell me that their pain medications are not restricted as much as hospitals or MD's which leads to more patient comfort. Hugs. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Prayers for her and the whole family.

But I have to say it, and it's out of concern for you mother in law........ 8th round of chemo? Perhaps the time has come to stop and just focus instead on improving the quality of life she has left so she can simply enjoy it. I wouldn't be a good nurse if I didn't speak up and put this out there for you and the family to consider.

(((hugs)))

InsaneCdn

Sometimes the chemo and/or radiation is to take the pressure off some particular point to reduce the pain - my grandmother had this, a good family friend just went that route - the cancer in the lungs and bone was killing him, but the pain in his back was beyond pain-medications-control... radiation set that issue back far enough that he could be made comfortable.

Not sure if this is the same in the US as Canada, but here - hospitals and MDs can give same pain control as palliative care... once you have been certified as "terminal". This means they will take no extraordinary measures to keep you alive, but will do whatever is possible to make you comfortable. They have to stop active treatment first. (Using radiation to kill pain is not active treatment.)

{{hugs}} and thoughts... for you too!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm so sorry to hear that Mary. I hate to say this, but I think Lisa brings up a good point. Sending prayers for her...