Need quick dog advice!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Stang -

IF there is an obstruction - (Casper had a HUGE one when he ate his leather collar with tags, buckle and all, a milk jug, and something unidentifiable) - his symptoms were - shaking, shivering, (like he was freezing) lethargic - going outside and acting like he was trying to poo but could not, refusing food and water. He also had a temperature.

If you see these signs? Get thee to a veterinarian for an Xray.

More than likely with a porkchop bone? It will disolve and pass, but....just to be on the safe side? I would limit or 1/2 his food intake for the next 24 hours. You can call the vet to back me up on this.

Chester - this is Auntie Star - BAD BEHAVIOR. BAD BEHAVIOR. NO STEAL!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Hope everything comes out all right in the end...

*Groan* That's baaaaaaad. LOL

So far, he's his normal bossy self. I got up early to use the bathroom. Chester was pacing on my side of the bed...impatient for me to come back to bed since I interrupted his sleep and forced him to move when I got up. I let him and Cloe out about 20 minutes ago and he's acting fine. He did poop and when I poked at it with a stick there was nothing there and no white "nuggets".

I will be going to the store later and plan on picking up a can of pumpkin to keep on hand.

Star....I told him what you said. He doesn't care.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I feed my dogs raw everything as their regular steady diet. All of their poop turns white and chalky within a day - it's easy clean up for sure and they never get sick of it, happy little doggies!

I just wanted to put this out there as well: If you choose to create your own palatable foods for your sick animals. NEVER ever mix cooked meats or packaged kibble with raw meats. The kibble and cooked foods take longer to move through the digestive tract, as opposed to raw foods, which move rather swiftly. If you mix the two, there is a chance the raw food will be slowed down by the cooked/kibble and reach a fermented stage, which could cause major discomfort for little fido. Raw veggies/fruits are fine anytime, but be aware that they can cause gas and some veggies should not be ingested by animals, such as onions, garlic, avacado.

Like I said, the pumpkin pak is something to keep in the freezer at all times should you need it in a pinch - good for constipation or the opposite. It's like a miracle food!

DammitJanet

You all talk about these things and I have to go save a winter coat from my dog...lol. He will literally chew up ANYTHING! Especially if it is Tony's or Keyana's. He is also fond of toilet paper.

mstang67chic

Going Green
been there done that Janet! LOL Only it was things and not clothes. Taz would chew up ANYTHING if it tasted like food. He even was known to chew up Pepsi cans to get that last little bit. And of course, his famous incident of eating mother in law's false teeth.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stang

Our pup Lil Bit (God rest her soul) did that to me. Now I do always give my dogs the bones to anything we eat. But the lil stinker got the one I was gonna toss out as I'd deamed it too sharp for any of them. Swallowed it whole just like Chester. sheesh So, if Chester has her luck, believe me you'll know beyond a doubt when it shows up out the other end. Lil Bit screamed her head off, poor baby. And sister in law (who just happened to be here at the time) had to aide her in passing the nasty bone cuz it got stuck on the way out.

I'd called the vet in a panic when she'd swallowed it and he'd told me there wasn't anything he could do until we knew if it would pass or not. Big help, huh?

Now Betsy grabbed one the other day........and since she was in a big hurry, got it lodged sideways at the back of her mouth. I was scared it was her throat. But was able to reach back and remove it despite her gagging the entire time. Gross! by the way it was a chicken bone she grabbed that time. She doesn't normally get them. But Molly eats them like their crackers. lol

Geez. The things our pets put us thru. :faint:

Hope it passes without trouble and your worry is for nothing.

Hugs

DammitJanet

A friend was here cutting our grass one day and came up to me and asked me if something had died in our yard. I said no...I didnt think so. He had found a bunch of bones. I laughed. It was the backbone of a deer that we had thrown out for Buddy to chomp on when he was outside! It was bigger than he was but he dragged that thing all over the yard!

mstang67chic

Going Green
He seems to be doing fine....pooping like normal. He did give me a scare this morning though. He was outside, I was inside and I suddenly heard him yelping like he was being skinned. By the time I got outside he had stopped and I had no idea what happened. I saw a bee flying around and thought he might have gotten stung but he wasn't pawing at his face or acting like he was still hurting anywhere. I did however, notice a torn open garbage bag but still didn't see anything that would have caused a reaction like that. Apparently I'm not too observant though because later when I told husband what happened (he wasn't home), he noticed a small blood spot on Chesters paw. We're guessing that the bag he got into was the one with some broken glass and he found it when he was digging in the bag. We cleaned it up and I didn't feel anything in the spot so I think he just somehow ran his paw against the glass. It's not bad at all though.....I think it just scared both me and Chester.

Daisy...I had to do that with a dog once when she got a small rawhide bone caught. Scared me to death especially since I was gone and came home to find her choking. Had no idea how long she had been trying to get it out. Fortunately she was still getting enough air to stay conscious but was making the most horrible noises.

Janet....before we bought our house, we lived across the street. The guy who lived here, J, had a dog too. Someone had field dressed a deer and for whatever reason dumped the remains out behind this house. J's dog of course found it and drug a bunch of it home. Well, seeing as how J was such a nice guy and all, he decided to share with Taz who was chained in our yard while we were at work. I came home to find Taz playing with something that I couldn't quite make out. He was throwing it in the air, pouncing on it....just having a ball. It was a DEER LEG!!!!!!! The entire durn thing!!! Fur, hoof, knee joint and all. Taz wasn't happy with me when I wouldn't let him bring it in the house.

DammitJanet

Oh deer legs make such fine toys! LOL. Now just why would a nice momma let him bring it inside? LMAO.

My animals get "parts" all the time. I soooo look forward to hunting season.