Need recommendations on books

busywend

I thought I saw a book recommendation recently in the being more assertive post, but I can not find it.

Anyone have any book recommendations on assertiveness, self-esteem, etc?

muttmeister

I'm sure all of these books are great for those of you who need them but I think maybe I need a book that tells me how to keep my mouth shut and be less assertive. :hammer:

busywend

Thanks Barb, I am heading to B&N tonight and wanted to suggested reading to check out while I am there.

Appreciate the input!

Congrats to everyone that is assertive. I do not think I have a real problem with assertiveness per se, it is something different than that. I like being nice and putting others first, I do not have a problem with that. I put myself first when I want to or need to.

So here is the real deal. I like myself. I like myself alot more when I am feeling good about myself. When I have the confidence and hold my head high. It comes and goes for me. When I am feeling good about me, I lose weight, I eat healthier, I go to the gym, I just generally enjoy life more.
The problem is that slips away from me at times. I hate it. I have to fight to not slip away from the confident busywend.
So, I am fighting it now. Because I recognize it. I used to not even be aware I was slipping or had slipped into not good busywend.

Now that I recognize it I can tell I am sliding toward the dark side and I am holding on for dear life not to go back there!
:smile:
So, I need something that will help me realize everyday that I love the confident, fun, looking good busywend and want her to stay.

Does that make sense? I do not know what that would be called.

ck1

A book that absolutely changed my life (self-esteem wise) is called, "What to Say When You Talk to Yourself" by Shad Helmstetter. At the time, I guess I thought I didn't "deserve" to be happy. I read the book just before I met my husband and I'm pretty sure our relationship would not have worked out if I didn't re-program my thinking beforehand. I've recommended it to several other people who also found it very helpful.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
In the group I belong to we are working on a book that might be up your alley on what you posted in your second book. We are only just beginning it but so far it is interesting so you might like it.

What Happy Women Know - Dan Baker and Cathy Greenburg

Now there are a few things I don't agree with but with everything I don't think things are going to be 100% but over all this seems like a really good book on how to be happy. Not the mood but the way of being happy.

Beth

tired Cheryl

Self-Assertion for Women by Pamela Butler (I think!!) :shocked: I am away from home and will verify title and author later.

Helped me a lot. I still try to read it from time to time. Not the newest book out there but still very appropriate I think.

Adult Children of Alcholics helped me too.