Need smothered chicken recipe

klmno

I just got back from the store. I bought the ready mix for peppered white gravy to mix with chicken broth. I also got a cream of chicken soup because at the last min, I wondered what would happen if I threw that in too. Would it taste bad to mix that in?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
husband does a fantastic chicken and rice bake (in the oven) with rice, asparagus, chicken breasts, lemon pepper and cream of chicken soup. Bet it would taste AWESOME, k.

klmno

We got asparagus for a side- I'm going to heat up some cheese fondue and drizzle it over it. (I love it that way!) E is going to make his potatoe casserole. We were going to have this later in the week so we could grill today but it's misty and possibly will rain and we went for stuffed fish instead of something for the grill. Then we decided to cook this chicken meal tonight because we have more time today then we'll have later on in the week. We'll do the fish tomorrow and alternate until I cook the pork chop meal-probably Thursday. Shewww.......am I getting back into Mommy mode or what? LOL!

buddy

I think I'll try that, Donna. Now, if I could just find the exact recipe for that potatoes/velveeta/bacos casserole E used to make we'll have our last meal for next week planned. LOL!
My cousin makes this and no one will eat it unless SHE makes it because she does it just right....I helped her a year ago....do you still need it? I can ask her for the recipe.

klmno

The potato cassarole was the right one but it takes longer to cook- funny how that came back to memory. (There's no way that raw potatoes are completely cooked after 35 mins on 350 but if you allow a longer time, it comes out good. We cut our's in chunks so maybe that's the difference.) The chicken came out ok- E ate it and said it was good but next time I think I'll stick to gravy mix only. The asparagus with fondue drizzled on it is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I wondered about that with the potatoes. Every time I've tried scalloped potatoes without parboiling them a little first they've not been done at the designated time. Good to know.

Suz

S

Signorina

Saw this on pinterest today and i thought of you guys - made with mashed potatoes s0 not a speedy dish, but I am thinking of making it ahead as a bbq side...
234_11-29-2006.nf_29cass.G1521E6MF.1.jpg
Photo:

Straight from Paula Deen: "This is such a great dish because you can make it the day ahead, and you've still got that delicious flavor of baked potatoes."

Paula Deen Celebrates! Best Dishes and Best Wishes for the Best Times of Your Life

[COLOR=#333333 !important]Published: 28 November 2010 12:16 AM

[/COLOR]

Ingredients
8 medium baking potatoes, about 4 pounds
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 pint sour cream
2 cups ( ½ pound) shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided use)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup chopped chives, for garnish
6 slices bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled, for garnish

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Pierce potatoes and place on baking pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until very soft.

Peel and mash potatoes in large bowl with potato masher or back of fork. Add cream cheese, butter, sour cream and 1 cup of cheddar. Stir well. Add garlic, salt and pepper, and stir again.

Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place potato mixture in dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate casserole until ready to bake.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 F, remove plastic wrap and bake casserole 30 to 35 minutes until hot. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheddar over casserole and return to oven for about 5 minutes, until cheese melts. Garnish with chopped chives and crumbled bacon before serving. Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Nutritional Facts Per Serving
Calories: 446.00, Total fat: 30.00g, Calories from Fat: 59.00%, Sodium: 615.00mg, Cholesterol: 81.00mg, Fiber: 3.00g, Carbohydrate: 36.00g, Protein: 111.00g, Saturated Fat: 18.00g

Paula Deen Celebrates! Best Dishes and Best Wishes for the Best Times of Your Life

Published in The Dallas Morning News on 2006-11-29

klmno

That does look like it, Sig- but the short version is the first recipe in Suz's links. It is tastey- or at least we think so but we do cook it longer, still at 350.

E is being great and it looks like the "bump" was a few days of waivering while being tempted to give up, but he made the right choice and now is motivated for several reasons. I think this is the stage he didn't make it thru when he was released the first time. I've learned a lot about how to parent him better, I think- not due to any "services" we're having but by reconnecting with him at a time period when he's really trying. It does no good to try this when they aren't really trying but now I'm not so sure we can know whether or not they are trying until/unless we give them a little chance. We, as parents, cannot label our kids as losers and think there'll have any chance of success, Know what I mean?? Then, the kids have to rise to the occasion. So far, so good over here. But as you ladies know, there have been a few big prices to pay for this lesson over the past few years.

Sorry- I think I'm Occupational Therapist (OT) because I'm getting into my other thread instead of sticking to this topic.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I think I gained 5 lbs reading this thread.........................

And I need to copy down some of these recipes!! YUM!

klmno

:rofl:

We're on the "eat whatever you want as long as it's healthy" diet, Lisa! We aren't skinny but we aren't too much overweight. LOL!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well............I don't "diet" per se either. I try to keep it healthy as much as I can. If I do an actual diet, I'm lucky if it lasts a week.........all I have to do is see what everyone else can eat and I can't, and poof, I'm done. So I do healthy, try to do portion control, instead. Thankfully.........I tend to enjoy healthier foods more than junk foods.

klmno

I grew up eating southern foods so to me, "healthy" means if it can be grown in a garden or raised on a farm, no problem. If it's manufactured, it's "not healthy", although we do eat beef bologna and processed sandwich ham. E likes chicken and pork more than beef so he's actually helped me break my habit of beef 90% of the time. Beef, turkey, potatoes, ham, bread, any fruit or green vegie....they are all "healthy" by our definition.

InsaneCdn

Well............I don't "diet" per se either. I try to keep it healthy as much as I can. If I do an actual diet, I'm lucky if it lasts a week.........all I have to do is see what everyone else can eat and I can't, and poof, I'm done. So I do healthy, try to do portion control, instead. Thankfully.........I tend to enjoy healthier foods more than junk foods.

Lisa... The only diet I can stand is the one SusieStar talks about - the Zone diet. Because... I can have absolutely anything I want... but I have to "balance" those carbs (yes, all the "good stuff" is usually high-carb) with protein and fat. Zone is 75% portion control - and there are simple eyeball rules on that. The rest of it is being aware of carb, protein and fat (and indirectly, fiber, because it affects the glycemic index).

LittleDudesMom

I actually have a great crock receipe that is healthy. Place vegetables of your choice (we do carrots, onions, and mushrooms) in the bottom of a crock pot, then place 4 peppered boneless skinless breasts (or 8 tenders) on top. Cover with two lite/low sodium cans of cream of whatever soup - I use celery since I have mushrooms in the dish. Add about 1/2 cup white wine. Shortly before you serve, add some fresh or dried tarragon.

My kids both love this dish - even difficult child - although he's been known to pick out the veggies! It makes a lot of "gravy" and I serve it on whole grain cous cous or whole grain flat noodles.

It's an old tried and true WW recipe.

K, another crock recipe that is good is a salt and peppered pork tenderloin covered with 2 cans of whole cranberry sauce and an envelope of beef cup of soup mix - cover and cook 6-8 hours in crock (often I will add a chopped onion). The cranberry looses all tartness and real distinct flavor, but the "gravy" is rich and plentiful. difficult child loves this one!

Sharon

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Sharon- I'm about to try your pork tenderloin/cranberry sauce recipe (which sound delicious by the way) and I have a question. Does the cranberry dissolve into a liquid or do I have to add water for the 'gravy?' Thanks!!

LittleDudesMom

Just the two cans of whole cranberry and no water. It breaks down along with the juices from the pork to form gravy. Sorry if this was too late - I'm not on during the day because of work....

Sharon