need some "ancient" recipes for bread and other things

InsaneCdn

I need some recipes from BEFORE the 1940s... absolutely anything older than that works.

What are the recipes our grandparents and great-grandparents used to make...
- while bread
- brown bread
- buns
- biscuits
- pancakes

and anything else you want to toss around.

I'm avoiding modern wheat. Most recipes now... assume modern wheat.

Even if these aren't "tried and true" family hand-me-down recipes. I'm prepared to experiment. I'm just... not finding the recipes!

Thanks in advance.

KTMom91

I have my great-grandmother's cookbook, that she brought to CA on the train from TN in the 1880's. Is that ancient enough?

InsaneCdn

Sig - how about a game plan?
I looked at the pics. The first one is the most clear.
From that, I can get a good sense of what the recipe is about, and tell if I'm interested in that one, or not.

The ones that look interesting, I'll try to type out, and PM you with them... and you can correct them, as and when you have time... if that would work?

S

Signorina

Sure thing! Let me try to take better pics tomorrow or Monday in the daylight- maybe with my real camera -- and we will take it from there! I'll photograph the chapter

KTMom91

Here's a recipe from my great-grandmother's book.

Baking Powder Biscuits

One quart of flour, three tablespoonsfuls of best baking powder, a teaspoonful of salt, one tablespoonful of sugar, one large spoon of butter, and one-half of a pint of sweet milk.

I love the measuring systems and the ingredient lists on these recipes...since we no longer have them available in many cases.

nerfherder

I would suggest you look up Shaker bread recipes. The Shakers (the Society of Believers in the Second Coming) were known for tremendously healthy, unvarnished and what today we call "natural" foods. Amy Bess Miller is one of the authors to search out.

DEX's maternal grandmother was raised in a Shaker orphanage, I have learned quite a bit second-hand through her daughter (my late ex-mother in law) While I could still tolerate wheat, I used many of their bread, quickbread and pie recipes. The Shaker Lemon Pie is... utterly unusual, and is like eating strong marmalade in custard. :)