Need some emergency dog help, please!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh I am so happy she is doing better. I hope you were able to get some rest last night.
Thanks for the update.

GuideMe

Oh no, she just threw up again. Just a little stomach acid, no blood or anything like that but she threw up again. She was fine for almost two days. What happened? Her stomach is definitely upset and I am def taking her to the vet on Monday no doubt, but I'm wondering what this could be? I have no idea about dog illnesses being this is my first dog. I have no idea what worms are, but does this sound like worms or something of the sort to anyone?

BusynMember

I have a small dog (see avator, both are small) who pukes sometimes. Every time it happens, I call the vet, like a nervous parent, just to make sure and I'm always told just to watch her. Nothing ever comes of it. I'm always asked if the dog is acting normally and eating, stuff like that. I'd take her to the vet though just as a precaution. I would NOT worry too much. Hard not to worry at all, if you are a nervous nellie, like me.

Confused

Im glad your dog is ok and overall doing well!!! :) Ughh tell me about what they eat!! My dogs have eaten dry wall, rocks, stick, found a nail from the dry wall,( vet trip but they didnt swallow the nail just chewed it) chairs, cabinets, blankets and dog beds, those kids balls with characters on it and chocolate :( The chocolate we rushed them up tho the vet and they got their stomach pumped, poor male was bloating up like a puffer fish and it turns out he ate all the brownie. Yup we have high vet bill! Hang in there!

donna723

Since she did chew up a toy, I would have the vet check her out. Have you seen any little pieces of the toy in her poop? Sometimes the vomiting can be from almost anything though. One of my Bostons will throw up some kind if bile-looking stuff if she doesn't eat in the mornings. Some dogs too are just very fond of eating anything within their reach. My daughter once had a beautiful but goofy Husky who would eat anything ... rocks, dirt, sticks, cloth, paper, cat litter, garbage ... anything! We pretty much had a standing appointment with the vet. The worst was when I was doing some work on the bathroom and she found and ate half a container of plumbers putty. It came in cartons like sour cream. And then she had the sense to hide the carton behind the sofa. She ate about half the carton and her tooth marks were still in it when I found it.

Lil

One of my Bostons will throw up some kind if bile-looking stuff if she doesn't eat in the mornings.

Ugh. Boston's are pukers! We have two and used to be forever cleaning up that lovely yellow-green bile. They've gotten much better over the last year or two (they're about 8 years old now) (knock wood!) Their food has to be nutro natural lite. Nothing else.

GM, try boiling some chicken breast and rice until it's mush and feeding her that. Like a kid, a bland diet does wonders for upset tummies in dogs. Pumpkin is the best thing I've found for runny poo...but I'd hesitate to give her the veggie on an upset stomach.

Keep us posted!

witzend

Watch her and if she becomes listless take her to the emergency vet. A dog with a blocked gut can die in a day. Try to keep her hydrated, but if she has the vomits and the runs she needs to see the vet.

donna723

Lil, Ragan is my little morning puker, but only if she doesn't eat in the morning. She's 12-1/2 and I wouldn't exactly say she's spoiled but she makes me beg her to eat. When I feed the cats, I hold out a bit of the canned cat food and put it in a bowl for Ragan. Of course she won't eat it out of the bowl though. We sit on the sofa and I feed it to her with a spoon. But sometimes she will turn her head and refuse to eat it. So I have to put a tiny bit of it on my finger and then she will consent to try it, then she will start eating it off the spoon. Her brother, Trace, will eat dry dog food till he's ready to pop, then he runs frantic laps through the house till he pukes. Mine eat Taste of The Wild, a good grain free food, because my little pukers also have allergies.

Lil

Ragan is my little morning puker, but only if she doesn't eat in the morning. She's 12-1/2 and I wouldn't exactly say she's spoiled but she makes me beg her to eat. When I feed the cats, I hold out a bit of the canned cat food and put it in a bowl for Ragan. Of course she won't eat it out of the bowl though. We sit on the sofa and I feed it to her with a spoon. But sometimes she will turn her head and refuse to eat it. So I have to put a tiny bit of it on my finger and then she will consent to try it, then she will start eating it off the spoon.

Wow.

Our Mac and Suzie will eat anything that isn't tied down and always have. I mean that literally. Dog food, lettuce, cheese, any people food at all really, leaves, sticks, dirt, the grout from the kitchen floor, any food or drinks we're foolish enough to leave where they can get to them. Coffee is a favorite and the other day Mac spilled an entire large glass of OJ he decided I didn't need when I went to the bathroom. That was fun. The were a little fussy as puppies, had to have their food on the floor instead of a bowl. We graduated to plates, then pie-plate type bowls then bowls. But they ate...and they still eat...every chance they get. lol

Ours get Zyrtek twice a day. We spend a lot on Zyrtek and they still are paw lickers.

GM, I agree a vet visit is in order. You can wait until tomorrow if she's not listless. let us know what the vet says.