Need the Power of the Board Please!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Katie, her husband, grandkids Kayla, Alex, and Evan have made the move to ohio.

So far things (difficult child wise ect) are going wonderfully. See posts in PE cuz honestly I just don't have the energy to repeat it here.:tongue: That is not the problem.

The problem is that I have a family of 5 who are jobless and homeless, and after 2 nights sleeping in a motel......penniless.:(

Katie and her husband have been working their tails off since literally the moment they arrived attempting to find an opening in a shelter. Katie has called every shelter we've found in all of southern ohio, including cincy and dayton. (we were getting desperate) She has called every church in the phone book asking for help. She's called every community agency known to mankind asking for help.

Shelters are full. All shelters are full.

BUT 1 shelter in wilmington about 20 mins away has an opening coming up in a few days. They're going to hold it for Katie because she was persistant in her calling and explaining the situation. It's going to make helping her harder on the family because of distance but like I said, we're desperate at this point.

One church paster offered to pay their motel weekly until they can get into a shelter. katie's been playing phone tag with him every since. Then this morning when she called the church again she got the secretary who was a bit snotty and said she didn't think there were any funds for that since they just paid for another family. I'm hoping the woman doesn't have a clue what she's talking about.....she did admit she hasn't spoken to the paster.

There is no money for the kids to stay in the motel even 1 more night. I had husband give them 10.00 to help them cover the cost for tonight. A gift, not a loan.

Katie and her husband are really putting forth the effort. I have to give them credit......I expected nothing.........and I'm seriously both shocked and very pleased by both their attitudes and their actions.

But while I love them, while they're really working hard to both find jobs and a place to stay, while they're actively parenting and the grandkids are doing their utter best to be good, while they're grateful and appreciative of what little we've done for them so far..........

Folks, I just don't know how they can stay here with husband and I. :( We're struggling to survive on husband's unemployment ourselves and it's not much. While my house is fairly large there are only 2 bedrooms and I've discovered over the past 2 days with 5 extra people.......2 of them autistic boys with an awful lot of energy........my house seems awful small.

Then there is the food issue which is already becoming a problem. I do have food.......bought to feed 3, not 8. I don't know how long it's going to hold out. And we don't have much money to buy more. (yes tomorrow we're hitting food pantries and praying they have something)

But a place for them to live is 1st priority and it's not looking that hot except for the one with the opening in a few days. I'm not so sure we can survive a few days food wise with them here.

Plus, I've discovered I'm older than I thought.:tongue: Ok, so I raised Travis. Well with Alex and Evan I now have 2 of Travis.........only Evan is far worse........not bad I mean difficult child wise. By the time they leave for the motel after supper I'm totally wiped. I'm ready and needing the peace and quiet. If they wind up needing to stay here.......I won't have even that few hours to regroup for the next day. And no the teeth thing isn't helping either. I'm in pain and can't eat, yet there is only so much husband can do and he IS doing it. Much to my amazement.

While I will let them stay here a couple of days until that shelter spot opens if I have no choice........because they truly are trying hard.........It will be very hard on both husband and I to do it.

So could we please put the power of the board into motion to get this family into a shelter as quickly as possible? Prayers, body part crossing, good thoughts, mega juju, chicken dance......all will be greatly appreciated. We've seen what the power of the board can do, and I'm hoping it won't let me down this time too.

Thanks

DammitJanet

I hope they can get in. I really do. If not, you and Katie go down to FS tomorrow and explain the situation. See if she can get emergency stamps ASAP. See if they did close out that other card or if there are any on it. See what can be done on that end. There may be some sort of emergency fund or aid available to her right away until she gets something else going. Not sure since I know nothing about your state. I dont know if you and husband would be eligible for FS or not but you should probably try...especially right now...especially since Travis is going for his disability too. If nothing else...you can get a few months worth which would help right now. Since travis has no income...he should be able to get emergency stamps. Have him go apply. All he has to do is say he eats separately from you. Magic words ok? Remember that if he goes alone. You are on a special diet so he has to eat separately from you...that is the special rule. Just trust me there.

LittleDudesMom

Hound Dog,

I will add my prayers and positive thoughts that something opens up soon and the family can begin to get on the road to recovery.

Sharon

trinityroyal

Saying many prayers for all of you, crossing body parts, and dancing in the hopes that K and family find somewhere to live very soon.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
{{{{{{{{{{{LISA}}}}}}}}}}}Sending hugs & positive juju, crossing body parts, saying prayers!!!

I second Janet's suggestions. Something WILL open up and everything WILL be provided for!

nvts

Sending the vibes and rattling beads! I've got you all in my heart and mind!

1. You should both be eligible for food stamps even with the unemployment.
2. Look into HEAP for your electric, heat and phone.
3. There are free cell phones available - she should look into that - the fact that she's homeless will set her up immediately.
4. She's also eligible for emergency welfare funds (ask while at unemployment).
5. Go to this link for the Federation of Children and Families for Mental Health (just found out about this parent advocacy group at a meeting yesterday - I spent a lot of time with the woman that helped start it up in our area YEARS ago so I could let the CD Board know about it - she was WONDERFUL!). http://www.ffcmh.org/. On the contact list there are a few different ones listed for Ohio, geographically.
6. Also try Facts For Families (another one she recommended). http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families...spx?hkey=c2dc89fb-aac1-4308-9297-eedfe7755b92 I haven't had time to buzz this one, but there might be some info to help.

Many prayers headed your way!

Beth

Fran

Former desparate mom
Scary situation but not unexpected as I have followed your threads.
Maybe k and husband can apply for jobs as well as emergency aid. This was all explained to them by you before they decided to do what they wanted and now you are using all your energy getting them settled instead of healing from surgery and looking for your own job.
I'm sure with the holidays Toys R Us are hiring temp positions. Maybe even warehouse jobs. Getting the kids into school will help free them up to continue to find a way
to support themselves and feed the family.
Not much planning on their part but that's the way of difficult child's. Hopefully, your experience with planning and practical reality will help them to grow up and take responsibility for putting their kids in such a serious situation and putting such a load on your shoulders.
I'll send good thoughts that they figure out what it will take to change their situation. You know the old saying "if you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got". Nothing new there. Good luck.

Mattsmom277

Adding more to the power of the board ... I do hope that either this pastor comes through or the shelter opening is swift and remains available. The food stamps and emergency welfare route sound like good options too. I definitely hope some funds for food comes through soon. I hate to think of them all going hungry, I hate to think of you 3 doing without by scrimping to stretch food to feed 8.

Please take care of you as you are healing etc. As moms I am sure we can all understand you wanting them settled etc. Just don't want you to forget yourself in all of this. (((hugs))) Keep us posted!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Adding what husband and I have termed the "Turtle Shuffle" and lots of prayers, bead rattling and anything else we can think of.

I'm reasonably close... If you need help with finding out stuff in my area, let me know. I'll ask around, too.

everywoman

Prayers being said. HOpe they find jobs and shelter soon and can land on their feet without stepping on your toes too much.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Keep those prayers coming please. We have 2 prospects for funds for the motel. And a shelter spot is supposed to be opening for them on thurs. Katie has to call everyday just in case it opens sooner.

Got to say katie and family has impressed the family quite a lot.

And I went to show easy child the new thrift store in another town today because she needs new dressers.....was gone about 4 hrs. (because easy child picked up a few things for katies kids in clothing) Came home to a CLEAN house!!! Katie and her husband had cleaned it as a surprise for me while I was gone. :D

Thanks so much for the prayers, good thoughts ect......we need each and every one.

Hugs

tiredmommy

Sending prayers. I want to add that Fran makes an excellent point about the kids getting into school. Another advantage is that they will qualify for a free breakfast and lunch. That's 30 meals a week right there.