Need tips for ED classroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some tips for evaluating an ED classroom for our difficult child.

Last month, we had an IEP meeting for difficult child, after extensive testing by the school. He was declared ineligible for any services. No surprise there, even though everyone agrees he's got major issues. Totally ineffective plans for how we can prevent the next incident (usually whacking another kid, but also defies playground monitors), which then occurred in short order. When I was a kid, his behaviors would be the cause for parent-teacher conferences; however, for his last incident, they have slapped him with a five-day suspension and have us scheduled to go in Wednesday for a placement review. husband was told that difficult child will be expelled or moved to an ED classroom. I think they really meant "moved from his current school" rather than "kicked out of school forever" but husband wasn't picky with the language. At any rate, it's not working where he is and his problems will not be less in another school.

His psychiatric agrees with us that he really needs an aide in the classroom, rather than being put into an ED classroom. Apparently, our school district likes to sweep up the "problem" kids into an ED classroom rather than assign aides and considers the ED classroom to be the least restrictive environment. I don't agree, but don't have an advocate yet. [Yes, we're getting one but can't pull it together before Wednesday.]

doctor says we should check out the ED classroom before we agree to put difficult child there; personally, I don't see a lot of options. These suspensions hurt us financially and do nothing positive for difficult child; only the teacher benefits. At any rate, I'll send husband to look at the classroom, but have no idea what to be looking for. Can folks give me some tips on what is good or what should make us run for the hills? Thanks.

JJJ

Evaluating an ED/BD classroom:

(My personal opinion as a former ED/BD teacher and parent of two children in ED/BD placement.)

1. How many children in a room? It should be no more than 15 with at least 1 staff per 5 kids.
2. Are the staff CPI trained? (crisis prevention and intervention)
3. In an average month, how many times are children physically restrained? (look for a very low number 3-4 times per classroom per month)
4. Take a teacher report from one of your son's incidents and show them just her description of his behaviors (not her response) and see what their response would be.
5. Ask to see their behavior system (point sheets? etc.)
6. Ask if they have a standard BIP (its okay if they have a standard one as long as they are willing to modify for individual needs).
7. Ask what certifications the teachers and paras have. (some special schools can have lower certification requirements than would be required in a public school).
8. Ask to see the textbooks they use (they should be copyrighted in the last 10 years minimally).
9. If the classroom is in a public school building, ask what mainstreaming is done. Ask if lunch/recess can be done without mainstream involvement if that is the main problem.

Currently my 11-year old is in an outstanding ED classroom; my 15-year old is in a TDS for ED/BD and it is fine but doens't meet all of her needs. The teacher is 90% of the room so you would definetly want to meet him/her in advance of making a decision.

JJJ:

Thank you very much for your input. I am keeping your response in my "difficult child file" for reference. Yes, one member of the placement committee did push the ED classroom concept, but the committee's ultimate decision was to move him to a regular classroom in another school. It's actually a better school, but with no supports in place, what are his odds of success? [No answer required; we all know it!] I felt much better having your list in my folder for guidance and I am definitely keeping it. I suspect I haven't heard the last of the ED classroom option. Again, thank you so much for your help.

Sheila

They are giving you the run around big time. If ED is the answer, your difficult child qualifies for an IEP.

I hope you are documenting all this nonsense.

To protect your child, send a letter via certified mail to evaluate for an IEP under fed regs. There are samples in the Sp Ed 101 Archives. The minute it hits the sd, your child is protected under Protection for Children Not Yet Eligible for Special Education. It's in the Archives also.

Fax the letter also.

You're going to have to walk softly but carry a BIG Stick!

Sheila

Forgot about your original question. lol

try iep4u.com
get input from difficult child's medical and/or psychological professionals
require highly qualified teachers and aides in the ED model

Status
Not open for further replies.