Need to unload my worries

Ktllc

Yes, it is official: I am worried about Sweet Pea.
Her very limited speech seems to be regressing again. And I'm not the one that said it, her therapist did. :(
She barely tries to imitate anymore. When we first started therapy, she was really trying to imitate a lot (although it only souds lika a, e, u vowels).
She imitates body language, is engaged with eye contacts and laughs but barely vocalizes.
When we are outside of the house (restaurants, friends or whatever) she is pretty much mute but social. If that makes any sense.
In the house: screams mainly.
Are we really looking at an other regression?? (6 clear words at around 9 and 10 months, imitating between 10 and 16 months but no words, now screaming or mute...).
I am so afraid of somehow loosing her. I know her gross motor is still going strong... but it is hard to not worry now.
Therapist wants to have Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) and psychologist for next month evaluation.
Thanks for letting me unload!

InsaneCdn

Therapist wants to have Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) and psychologist for next month evaluation.
I'd say this therapist is on top of things fairly well. Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) can cover off basic auditology screening, as well.
Sometimes, all us warrior moms can do is keep digging...
Need to borrow a shovel?

BusynMember

Again, sounds a lot like regressive autism. I'd take her to a neuropsychologist or a developmental pediatrician so you can perhaps start to reverse it. I would also have an CAT scan done too, just to be sure it's nothing else. There are other things that may be causing this. You may want to have her get a genetics test as well as an CAT to rule out more obvious and clearcut medical causes.

buddy

please video tape her weekly.... it will help them to see what is going on..... any other regression besides speech??? that you want to get recorded too. how is the signing going??? you sure her hearing is ok??

yes yes yes to the mri.... that is what happened to Q... I have video they gave me of him taking keys to a door and pretending to unlock it then saying keys...keys keys....

shortly after the regression started and our current neuro said THAT was a huge reason to do an mri.... his CA could have been caught much earlier.

Ktllc

Thanks for your support.
I will start video taping, that is a very good idea. I tend to take pictures but no videos.
She will have her well-child visit soon (18momths) and will defenitely talk to her pediatrician about possible medical (vs. developmental) explanations.
I do not see any other regressions besides speech. We are so used to her and understand her so well, it is hard to analyze the situation.
My parents will be visiting in a couple months, it will be good to see how she reacts to them and see if my parents are "surprised" by anything. I will not share the regression with them. They would not understand it and would only give me a "don't worry speech".
She already is in Early Intervention, so whatever it is, I'm sure she will get the best care.

C

Confused

Ktllc,
I'm sorry to hear this! I agree with the rest here to tape, and get more tests done to rule out anythings else. I think your right not to share her regression, this way your parents or others can realize what has or hasn't changed with her. Hugs.