Need to vent............new here

Lind85

Hi all. I am new to the forum. Hoping to find others out there like me. Reading through the posts-it is nice to know I am not alone! I have one difficult child who is 12 and is diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), ADD and Depression. Honestly though, I sometimes don't know what is going on with him. School has been an absolute nightmare. We tried private school and he ended up bullied into depression. We tried public school and they just don't get it. He has a 504 but it does not meet his needs. He misses school due to anxiety and cried almost every day of last year. Their response was that he would get over it. The main problem is that he is "academically successful". Actually, he qualifies for the gifted program which makes it all crazier because they do not have a proper placement for him. Sooooo.........we started middle school this year with the dram of a new school and a new start. It worked for about three weeks and then it just all went down the tubes. The school went against his 504 plan several times and he was completely humiliated in front of the other children. We are fighting for an IEP and are in the middle of an evaluation. While that is happening, we have him attending a virtual school which he seems to like. My concern is the amount of medication he is taking: Zoloft 200mg, Seroquel 50mg, Strattera 40mg and his lack of socialization. I am stressed to the max and just needed to say it!

BusynMember

Has he ever been evaluated completely by a neuropsychologist?

Have you considered that perhaps he could have Aspergers Syndrome, especially if he is socially unaware/clueless, but very smart? I have a son with this, and it's very subtle and puzzling, but the kids are definantely different. Take a look and see if this is something you may want to pursue. If so, then a neuropsychologist is definitely the best way to go. Psychiatrists often miss it because it's a neurological difference that masks as a psychiatric problem. Untreated, the child CAN develop big problems!! Although they have average or above average intelligence, many have trouble fitting into the workplace or meeting a SO, if they even want to. It really DOES require special handling.

Ok, give a whirl and see what you think.

HERE IS A BLURB ABOUT BOY TEENS WITH ASPERGERS:

Adolescence is one of the most painful periods of life for young people with Asperger's, because social interactions are more complex in this age group and require more subtle social skills. Some boys with AS become frustrated trying to relate to their peers and may become aggressive. Both boys and girls with the disorder are often quite naive for their age and easily manipulated by "street-wise" classmates. They are also more vulnerable than most youngsters to peer pressure.
Little research has been done regarding adults with AS. Some have serious difficulties with social and occupational functioning, but others are able to finish their schooling, join the workforce, and marry and have families.

Here is part on an article I found and further down I posted a few links:

Signs and Symptoms

Because the symptoms of AS are often hard to differentiate from other behavioral problems, it's best to let a doctor or other health professional evaluate your child's symptoms. It's not uncommon for a child to be diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) before a diagnosis of AS is made later.
These signs and symptoms might be present in a child with AS:

• inappropriate or minimal social interactions
  • conversations almost always revolving around self rather than others
  • "scripted," "robotic," or repetitive speech
  • lack of "common sense"
  • problems with reading, math, or writing skills
  • obsession with complex topics such as patterns or music
  • average to below-average nonverbal cognitive abilities, though verbal cognitive abilities are usually average to above-average
  • awkward movements
  • odd behaviors or mannerisms
It's important to note that, unlike kids with autism, those with AS might show no delays in language development; they usually have good grammatical skills and an advanced vocabulary at an early age. However, they typically do exhibit a language disorder — they might be very literal and have trouble using language in a social context.
Often there are no obvious delays in cognitive development or in age-appropriate self-help skills such as feeding and dressing themselves. Although kids with AS can have problems with attention span and organization, and have skills that seem well developed in some areas and lacking in others, they usually have average and sometimes above-average intelligence.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/asperger.html#

http://www.minddisorders.com/A-Br/Asperger-s-disorder.html

• For College Students

Last edited:

Marguerite

MWM, I'm glad you posted that info. I agree, it needs to be considered. It would also explain the academically gifted tag.

What you describe, Lind, with the anxiety etc sounds very much like difficult child 3 at that age.

Once you can understand what is wrong and you can make changes to how you manage him, it can greatly reduce the problems. You need to be a facilitator for him instead of an obstacle course. Reading 'The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene can help.

Marg

TPaul

Idecor8
Dear Lind,
Wanted to welcome you to the board here and hope that you will find it a home away from home. Vent away any time. All of us at one time or another, or sometimes 2 or 3 times or another, ;) have to vent. Just letting it out as we type away can be very therapeutic.

You will find a wealth of knowledge, experience, kindness, compassion and understanding here on the board.

Welcome again
Tpaul

Andy

Welcome Lind85! One thing we learn here is to follow our instincts (as well as gain new knowledge of things we may not have been aware of).

You mentioned your slight concern over the medication dosages. That is your instinct talking. Keep in mind that all kids are different and it is a very rare kid that the correct medication and dosage is found first time around. And if it is, just as rare that that child stays on the same dosage for forever. If you are uncomfortable with what is given, please talk to the doctor who is prescribing it.

Are you working with a psychiatrist or a family doctor? I would suggest switching to a psychiatrist for this issue if you do not have one. They are trained to understand the different medications out there and work so much more on a daily basis with the medications many of our difficult child's need.

Be aware, that medications may need to be tweeked or changed as your child grows. That can mean increasing OR decreasing dosages. We recently took my difficult child off Flouxetine which was a miracle drug for him and switched to Citralpram because there was a possibility that a rash he was developing came from the Flouxetine. Our psychiatrist told us that if Citralpram did not work, there were others we could try.

So, consider the input you receive here and also follow your instinct.