Need urgent prayers

BusynMember

A friend i know who is a teacher was told to make a FB with fake name and no pictures by a school administrator who was a friend and didn't want her to get into trouble.

I don't and never have lived in CA but never found it easy to get unemployment after being fired (which happened a lot). The company always came up with reasons, true or not, and In Illinois and Wisconsin they favor the employer who has good lawyers and resources. Both are "at will" states, which means, as a lawyer told me, that they can legally fire me for any or no reason except for my race, gender or disability...then it is on the fired person to p prove that this is why he/she was fired. In other words, they can do whatever they want.

It is getting harder and harder to collect UNEMPLOYMENT. I'd get another job if you really feel they want to fire you. it's the best way to make sure you keep getting a paycheck. It's a tough working life for the little guy with no special skills. i am one. Be smart and protect yourself. Take the classes you think will help you.

On the up side, I do know of a bus driver from the preschool I worked at who got fired and the company wanted to deny her unemployment, but she fought them and won. So you never know. If you quit, you won't get unemployment. Hang in there until you have something else.

I'm truly sorry. Been harassed from companies wanting to get me to quit and I know how it feels. Sometimes I did just quit...of course then I got no unemployment...

Wishing you good luck. I know how horrible this feels.

Last edited:

BusynMember

One last thing. I would not get a one day job then say you were laid off. The unemployment office WILL call and find out you lied. Not a good idea. The unemployment office checks...it doesn't just believe us. From what I know, again at least in WI and IL the company who fires you pays the unemployment if it is granted. No one day job will get stuck with that.

Check CA unemployment laws. I'm guessing states differ. Call an un employment attorney...I did twice...no dice for me. Maybe CA is better.

Hugs and cheering for ya.

AppleCori

SWOT--

It's possible that your term of employment didn't meet the base period eligibility requirements to receive unemployment.

My daughter's job is, in part, helping businesses legally fire employees in a Right-To-Work state, and the bar is very high. You can't just fire someone for no reason, unless you want to be sued and loose. Maybe in the past you could but not anymore.

Some employers will contest an ex-employee's unemployment claims and some rarely do.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, there's NO reason for social media to be accessible during the work day anyway. In my last years of management, I blocked social media on corporate networks. I also blocked instant messaging. Had overall outside of company internet usage gotten out of hand, I would've blocked all but work-related sites as well. I'm paying you to work for the company.

That said, CB, they've got good grounds to terminate you that have nothing to do with FB or the internet. They have to do with your skillset: you aren't fluent in Spanish. Right now the union is protecting you because at the time you were hired the job description didn't include a requirement that the hire be fluent in Spanish. You are grandfathered. They are trying to come up with other ways to get rid of you that won't cost them money.

I'll lay you odds that when they do terminate you, and when your job is reposted, the ad will clearly state that Spanish language fluency is required.

Also, proficiency in MS Office is more than beginner skills. It means being able to make formulas, design spreadsheets and charts, etc. For MS Word, it means being able to make simple flyers and do mail merges (for printing envelopes and labels)

"Microsoft" means being able to navigate the Windows operating system, most likely Windows 7,8, or 10, with 8 being the least likely. You would be expected to attach and detach printers and scanners, start and stop them, use a corporate email system, including mass mailing and inserting pictures and videos.

That's basic competency. Figure a 3-6 mos class on the MS Office stuff. The windows stuff you can pick up in a couple of weeks if not including MS Outlook. If including outlook, figure a month.

I get the feeling you aren't a reader,, or I'd recommend some books to study called "Dummies" books. Don't be offended. I swear by them and not just for beginners. I have Windows 10 for Dummies sitting next to m y laptop because I still get WTF moments with W10.

Get started on the classes ASAP. You'll need the skills for any type of secretarial and even many receptionist positions.

It's a pity you've got the "phone issue" because call center jobs are really taking off. Get some basic tech savvy, work on the phone stuff, get on with a call center, and if you can get into Tier I tech su pport you can make yourself a neat 45K a year, probably higher in CA.

Copabanana

It was like they were speaking Chinese.
You are talking about the computer courses sent to you by your ex. (I did not know you broke up. I am sorry.) CB. What about going to the Department of Rehabilitation with the State of California. They work with people with disabilities that affect their ability to work. I feel very confident that you would qualify. They evaluate, counsel and train you as needed and they help you find work. They will even give employers incentives, like tax credits as incentives, to maximize the opportunities for their clients. It is completely free. I would go TOMORROW.

State of California, Department of Rehabilitation
This person did not have to try and ruin me.
Does your supervisor have access to your Facebook?
CB. Many people are not nice, ethical or responsible. You know this.

We have to learn how to protect ourselves and not rely on other people to protect us.

That said, this may be a blessing in disguise--to get you out of a situation that you have hated and which made you sick. You may well find work that you love.

Copabanana

I am wondering if it is legal to terminate somebody for after the fact reasons. Like deciding they need a Spanish Speaking Person 5 years later. And to go after somebody to try to fire them for cause, when the real reason is far different, is really skirting the law.

I would say them are pretty stupid, because CB may be a protected class of workers. But at the end of the day, what really can she do, except find other work.

I would go to the Department of Rehabilitation and get trained, if she can. The training could possibly be in another field altogether. You should get a stipend. Would you be eligible for AFDC for your son and yourself, to tide you over?

CB? Are you a tomboy at all? If you are you could try to get into a apprenticeship program through a Unionized Field. Depending upon the field you could make fantastic money, get paid while you learn, great benefits.

Even if you got the assessment (aptitude for different work, what kind of accommodations, assistance you need, and the job finding assistance, it would be a big help, I think.

Nomad

Staff member
I'm rushing due to craziness going on here and didn't read all the posts.
I hope you took down your post and I would consider disabling your FB account for a short while. I don't think it is necessary to take it down permanently. When you come back, make sure you never say anything about work again.
I would consider VERY quietly looking for another job. However, I wouldn't apply or even think about applying unless it was something that looked very good. Why take a risk of stressing yoruself out or having someone find out for a job that is "iffy?" I do NOT consider this an emergency situation.
Re the person that reported this situation. Well, that is hard to get over, but you must try very hard to do so.
99.99999 percent of the time, such people who do such things have some personal thing bothering them that you have nothing to do with.
I heard something the other day that was mind boggling: "Offense is taken, not given." It might even be on this site, I'm not sure (that I read this).
I think this quote applies, again, 99.99999 per cent of the time. It might be very hard, but you can make a decision not to take offense to something that could be looked at that way. But, if you chose NOT to look at it that way, you will be FREE from pain/discomfort/stress/depression etc. Don't take offense. Make the personal decision to understand what occurred, but to file it away and not take offense.

AppleCori

I am wondering if it is legal to terminate somebody for after the fact reasons. Like deciding they need a Spanish Speaking Person 5 years later. And to go after somebody to try to fire them for cause, when the real reason is far different, is really skirting the law.

They could theoretically fire someone for not being bilingual, but they would need to demonstrate why it was OK to have a non-Spanish speaker five years ago, but not OK now. What has demonstratively changed in the five years?

Even if they could demonstrate this, they should offer the employee the chance to keep their job by providing or paying for some type of class and give the person a reasonable amount of time to comply.

This is the reason I encourage Cali not to complain or call attention to the fact that she doesn't speak Spanish. No need to give them a reason to think this is a problem.

Californiablonde

Actually, there's NO reason for social media to be accessible during the work day anyway. In my last years of management, I blocked social media on corporate networks. I also blocked instant messaging. Had overall outside of company internet usage gotten out of hand, I would've blocked all but work-related sites as well. I'm paying you to work for the company.

That said, CB, they've got good grounds to terminate you that have nothing to do with FB or the internet. They have to do with your skillset: you aren't fluent in Spanish. Right now the union is protecting you because at the time you were hired the job description didn't include a requirement that the hire be fluent in Spanish. You are grandfathered. They are trying to come up with other ways to get rid of you that won't cost them money.

I'll lay you odds that when they do terminate you, and when your job is reposted, the ad will clearly state that Spanish language fluency is required.

Also, proficiency in MS Office is more than beginner skills. It means being able to make formulas, design spreadsheets and charts, etc. For MS Word, it means being able to make simple flyers and do mail merges (for printing envelopes and labels)

"Microsoft" means being able to navigate the Windows operating system, most likely Windows 7,8, or 10, with 8 being the least likely. You would be expected to attach and detach printers and scanners, start and stop them, use a corporate email system, including mass mailing and inserting pictures and videos.

That's basic competency. Figure a 3-6 mos class on the MS Office stuff. The windows stuff you can pick up in a couple of weeks if not including MS Outlook. If including outlook, figure a month.

I get the feeling you aren't a reader,, or I'd recommend some books to study called "Dummies" books. Don't be offended. I swear by them and not just for beginners. I have Windows 10 for Dummies sitting next to m y laptop because I still get WTF moments with W10.

Get started on the classes ASAP. You'll need the skills for any type of secretarial and even many receptionist positions.

It's a pity you've got the "phone issue" because call center jobs are really taking off. Get some basic tech savvy, work on the phone stuff, get on with a call center, and if you can get into Tier I tech su pport you can make yourself a neat 45K a year, probably higher in CA.
I love to read. Absoulutely love love love books. I don't know what gave you the impression I don't like to read. Just wanted to let you know that is off base.

Californiablonde

You are talking about the computer courses sent to you by your ex. (I did not know you broke up. I am sorry.) CB. What about going to the Department of Rehabilitation with the State of California. They work with people with disabilities that affect their ability to work. I feel very confident that you would qualify. They evaluate, counsel and train you as needed and they help you find work. They will even give employers incentives, like tax credits as incentives, to maximize the opportunities for their clients. It is completely free. I would go TOMORROW.

State of California, Department of Rehabilitation
Does your supervisor have access to your Facebook?
CB. Many people are not nice, ethical or responsible. You know this.

We have to learn how to protect ourselves and not rely on other people to protect us.

That said, this may be a blessing in disguise--to get you out of a situation that you have hated and which made you sick. You may well find work that you love.
My supervisor does not have access to my Facebook. She actually blocked me a few years ago over a silly little incident, and I checked again and I am still blocked. At least I know it wasn't HER.

ksm

Check your privacy settings. I stalk my kids friends...especially if my daughter wants to spend the night at a new friends house. I am amazed how much I can find out. Even if you block someone, they can have someone else look at your page.

I don't even have to be friends with them...many kids set their privacy so that friends of friends can see their page...

KSM

BusynMember

Appl, I didn't explain correctly what kind of states Illinois and Wisconsin are. I said "right to work" and that was incorrect termonology. Right to work pertains to unions. Illinois and Wisconsin are "at will" states.

This is way different. It means that when you are hired, the company can terminate you at any time for any reason. It also means the employee can leave at any time for any reason. Nobody is penalized unless, say, you can prove with actual evidence that you were fired because you are a certain race, a certain gender or specifically due to a person's disability. And, trust me, co workers even that see things, are afraid to step up for fear of their own jobs.

Any other reason than race, gender and disability firings are fine, but the company may or may not have to dole out unemployment. I feel they always should since we pay for it. But...if pigs could fly...

I consulted one recommended employment lawyer in Illinois after being fired following maltreatment, but was told I had no case. The lawyer was regretful. The same thing happened in Wisconsin with the same response.

"They can fire you for any reason except the three exceptions."

In Wisconsin I DID get unemployment, but not due to the lawyer.

There is little you can do at an "at will" state if people are trying force you to quit by being intolerable. No laws against that...unless you can prove the boss said he'd force you out if you didn't sleep with him.

I have no idea if there are guidelines for states that are not "at will." Never worked in one. But "at will" states give the employee no rights. Been there/done that/have the tee shirt!!!

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I love to read. Absoulutely love love love books. I don't know what gave you the impression I don't like to read. Just wanted to let you know that is off base.

CB, I'm sorry. I'm not sure where I got the impression either. However, the fact that you do love to read is great. Pick up whatever "Dummies" books pertain to your situation and to things you want to learn. (there are hundreds). They are very readable. Not only that, the ones I have at least (computer stuff) are amusing in spots: not the usual dry as dust computer manuals.

Unfortunately, the way they teach and write manuals for computer stuff is just plain booooring a lot of the time and it doesn;t have to be. I've done a bit of technical writing, and it is possible to make the stuff interesting and approachable. (And oh, the arguments I've had with mgmt over this.)

ctmom05

I posted on Facebook last week about some students coming to school drunk. I didn't name any names. I thought it was okay. My boss called me into his office and chewed me out royally. Anyway, I am scared for my job .. .. ..

Don't put the cart before the horse ~ by attacking this issue with an attorney or based on unemployment facts you may appear to be antagonistic, which could be enough to push things over the edge & cause your administrator to let you go

Take a deep breath. Social media and your job do not mix in any form or fashion, When in doubt, leave it out

If you find that you're having trouble distinguishing the fine points of a privacy issue lean towards being super cautious, rather than simply thinking something is ok to discuss

Californiablonde

CB, I'm sorry. I'm not sure where I got the impression either. However, the fact that you do love to read is great. Pick up whatever "Dummies" books pertain to your situation and to things you want to learn. (there are hundreds). They are very readable. Not only that, the ones I have at least (computer stuff) are amusing in spots: not the usual dry as dust computer manuals.

Unfortunately, the way they teach and write manuals for computer stuff is just plain booooring a lot of the time and it doesn;t have to be. I've done a bit of technical writing, and it is possible to make the stuff interesting and approachable. (And oh, the arguments I've had with mgmt over this.)
The jobs I am looking at say they want Word, Advanced Exel, Microsoft Office, Microsoft 365, and SharePoint experience. I don't even know what 365 and SharePoint are! I am very lucky to have gotten this job when I did. Back then, I only had to pass a written essay, a Math test, a filing test, and 3 interviews. I actually thought I wouldn't get the job because there were about 50 applicants, and only the top 3 scores got an interview. I thought it was hard to get into the school district then, it's much harder now. I guess I should be grateful I have this job. If only my new boss didn't come in and make this job intolerable.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, I quit using MS Office about 5 years ago and went to a free ware "office" package. Microsoft Office 365 is basically MS Office but instead of buying the software, you subscribe to it<!> I have no idea what SharePoint is unless it is a web-based version of PowerPoint.

Excels the gonad-buster. I know it, but I'm not by any means an advanced user. Probably don't even really know it any more as I haven't used it in about 5 years.

Same with MS Word, of which I was at one time a power user.

But yeah, you NEED those skills these days to work as an admin, so i'd suggest getting whatever work you can, and get with whatever is out there to help workers and get those skills asap. You will be tested.

susiestar

Roll With It
sign up for khan academy. It is a totally free online school that will let you take classes to learn these things on your own time. The lessons are geared toward novices and you should be able to handle them. It is time to be proactive rather than reactive with the job market. Learning new skills is ALWAYS a good thing, and these skills will help you learn to get a job you don't hate.

svengandhi

Can you work with people? My oldest son is Aspie-lite. When he turned 25, I told him he needed to line up health insurance for when he turned 26 and got kicked off my policy. He took an online test for the Post Office and 3 months before he turned 26, he began working as CCA or city carrier assistant. He has 14 college credits, is making about $40K/year, has medical and dental, is in a union and will soon be eligible to contribute to retirement, plus he is working towards a pension. He is thinking of taking the online test for postal clerk, as it is apparently easier to advance into management from that position. He is also going to apply for driver, which pays $21/hr, at least here.

As for FB, I echo what the others say. I am not even on FB at all or Linked in.