Need words of wisdom/advice

shellyd67

difficult child has a video report due tomorrow on a book of his choice. As usual he puts everything off until the last minute. He has had the book an ample amount of time and husband and I even helped him break the book down and make notes so he will be able to recall all the information he needs to recite in the video. We cut our Memorial Day vacation in the mountains short so he could complete his project but here we are a few hours before bedtime and NOTHING is done. I know some of you may say he shouldn't have been able to go on vaca but as some of you may know it is impossible to find someone to watch a difficult child for a weekend and we did not want to punish easy child. Anyhow, he is having huge meltdowns over this project and I am ready to throw the towel in and let him suffer the consequence at school. How would anyone handle this situation? Thank you and I hope everyone is enjoying Memorial Day ! :confused::confused:

L

lovingmum96

Just curious... did he read the book or is that not done either? can you divide the report into chunks and have him tape a segment or two (is there a rubric or some guidance on grading?)? perhaps if he sees some success (in recording a segment or two at a time) it will give him some confidence and stop the melt down. Or perhaps you could ask him what will happen if he doesn't get it done and if those consequences are ok with him? (make him think he is choosing/ in charge?) It's hard when the consequences may punish other kids (easy child) too --

shellyd67

I had to leave the room before filming the video. He just refuses to practice or read his notes. He is graded on a scale from 1 to 4 ... 4 being the top score, fluency, expression, knowledge of material, etc. This makes me realize more and more that he may be aspergers. Over the summer I am having another neuropsychologist evaluate him. husband and I are arguing and that is making things more stressful. husband is saying I am arguing with difficult child but I was just telling difficult child calmly to read thru his notes so he is prepared. difficult child does not know the meaning of prepared. I think it's best if he doesn't do this project at all ! He doesn't want anyone in the class to view it either (my gut keeps telling me aspergers) I cannot wait until summer ! This is just stress for all of us !

Wiped Out

Staff member
I think I would just let him do it how he is doing it-even if it means he isn't reading or practicing his notes. If he doesn't get it done or it's poorly done he suffers the consequences at school. Hugs and I hope the rest of the school year flies by.

L

lovingmum96

I agree that he should just do it his way at this point. Apparently he's getting so stressed by the idea and even if he read his notes would not do a better job. My suggestion would be to go over it later, after it's been graded, so he can learn for next time. And/or, maybe he could film it a couple of times and pick the best.

shellyd67

Well the video project is complete ! It is missing some key information and there was quite a bit of fidgeting but difficult child feels so much better now that he was able to complete it. His whole disposition has changed. A weight has definetly been lifted off his shoulders ( mine and husband's too for that fact) Thanx again for all the advice. You ladies ROCK ! :D One more project due on 6-14-2010 difficult child has to demonstrate something in front of his classmates and explain all directions in detailed order. So one more stressed out week or two .... He chose to make a bottle orchestra ( it is quite easy but very interesting and it requires class participation so hopefully it will be a little less awkward for him )

L

lovingmum96

for the 6/14 project, maybe it may work if he has a visual, like a graphic organizer, to work with, or some visual props to help him remember the steps in order. May reduce the stress (on all of you! :) ) Or, maybe he could use powerpoint to make a handout with the directions in order, and then talk about them. Just a couple of thoughts. Take care.

shellyd67

We are going to do many, many run throughs for this project. It will be very interesting to him so he may do quite well .... The written and reciting parts he may flub but the actual demonstration hopefully will go well.