Need your help figuring this out test data and IEP

Masta

difficult child has been in English resource (reading comprehension, written expression) for the last 2yrs… 6th and 7th grade, only because i pushed for a Independent evaluation. difficult child does suffer from slight c.a.p.d auditory figure ground problems. This yr difficult child started 8th grade Aug 2007.

difficult child 7th grade teacher thought difficult child was ready to move into a regular English class. So she performed the WIAT II test on him before the end of the 2006 school yr (4/16/07). Before the end of the school year he was placed in a regular English class on a trial basis. He seemed to do ok. Now he is struggling with his spelling tests.

difficult child is also ADHD, has a hard time doing projects that require him to work at home. The school hasn’t bothered to get a new health plan in order. They just administer his medications.

Last yr difficult child received an “F” after school was out. School procedure is that the school notifies the parent of the “F” by mail. We never received any letter. We were not notified about it before the end of the school year, we were just sent out his end of yr school report early June when school was out, so therefore couldn’t fix the problem. I went to the school the start of this yr. Spoke to the new Principal, he said he couldn’t change difficult child’s grade and the teacher wasn’t willing to do so either. difficult child’s “F” was due to him having a problem with wearing his PE uniform. difficult child has a sensory problem. .

I know my difficult child is still struggling with spelling and writing. His teacher believes he is doing well. The school wants to hold an IEP meeting to get rid of his IEP based on the WIAT II test scores.

I am so drained with my 18yr difficult child at the moment; I have no energy to fight with the school over difficult child 2. Can someone advise me of what I should do? Should my son still have an IEP? If so what should I address in the IEP? My main concern is English. The sensory thing is something I will work on with difficult child at home. difficult child is in 8th grade now and he cannot afford be be several grades behind in written expression.

Back in 2004
He was tested 3/25/04 WISC III
Full Scale IQ: 102
Age 10.3yrs old

He was tested 4/16/07 WIAT II
Scale Written Expression Standard Score
Score: 89 (SEM = 6.000)
93% Cutoff Score: 82
Lowest Possible Score: 60

Looking at the test scores:
Spelling
Standard score: 87
Confidence Interval 95%: 80-94
Percentile: 19
Age Equivalent: 10.4
Grade Equivalent: 5.2
Other NCE: 32

Written Expression:
Standard score: 89
Confidence Interval 95%: 78-100
Percentile: 23
Age Equivalent: 11.0
Grade Equivalent: 5.8
Other NCE: 35

Composite Score (Sum of Subtest Standard Scores):
Standard score: 176
Composite Standard score: 86
Confidence Interval 95%: 79-93
Percentile: 18
Other NCE: 30

Supplemental Scores
Written Expression
Word Fluency Raw Score: 4
Quartile 0
Word Count Raw Score: 78
Quartile 3

Based on test data entered the school team can be 83% confident that the difference between the students expected and obtained achievement scores represent a severe discrepancy.

In order to qualify a student, the school team should be at least 93% confident there is a severe discrepancy between the students expected achievement score and the obtained achievement score. Therefore, this student does not meet the severe discrepancy criteria for specific learning disabilities eligibility.

Sheila

I wouldn't agree to dismissal from Special Education without a proper evaluation being performed by an appropriately certified diagnostician (minimum requirement) -- period.

If the WIAT II constitutes their evaluation, I'd want an IEE.

FYI -- significant discrepancy formulas for SLD are out. https://web.archive.org/web/20080307141138/http://www.schwablearning.org/articles.aspx?r=1063 Even when they were supposedly the defining factor, the IEP committee could qualify if they felt the student warranted.

I'm assuming the 13.4 age reflected above is your child's actual/chronological age at the time the testing was done. Taken alone, it looks like difficult child is approx 2 - 3 years behind. I consider that "significant."

From http://idea.ed.gov/explore/view/p/,root,dynamic,TopicalBrief,4, :
8. Revise the provisions regarding the exception to requirements for evaluation before a change in eligibility.

Except as provided in 34 CFR 300.305(e)(2), a public agency must evaluate a child with a disability in accordance with 34 CFR 300.304-300.311 before determining that the child is no longer a child with a disability.
[34 CFR 300.305(e)(1)] [20 U.S.C. 1414(c)(5)]

The evaluation described in 34 CFR 300.305(e)(1) is not required before the termination of a child’s eligibility under Part 300 due to graduation from secondary school with a regular diploma, or due to exceeding the age eligibility for a free appropriate public education (FAPE) under State law.
[34 CFR 300.305(e)(2)] [20 U.S.C. 1414(c)(5)]

For a child whose eligibility terminates under circumstances described in 34 CFR 300.305(e)(2), a public agency must provide the child with a summary of the child’s academic achievement and functional performance, which shall include recommendations on how to assist the child in meeting the child’s postsecondary goals.
[34 CFR 300.305(e)(3)] [20 U.S.C. 1414(c)(5)]

Regulations: Part 300 / D / 300.305 / e
(e) Evaluations before change in eligibility.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, a public agency must evaluate a child with a disability in accordance with Sec. Sec. 300.304 through 300.311 before determining that the child is no longer a child with a disability.

See http://idea.ed.gov/explore/view/p/,root,regs,300,D, for 300.304 - 300.311 .

Your sd has a track record, Masta. I know it's not what you want to hear, but unless you are 100% comfortable with-having difficult child dismissed from special education, tread carefully.

svengandhi

My son's IQ is over 130 and he is still spelling exempted on his IEP because he just can't spell. He has a disorder of written expression and school anxiety. I think you should ask for him to be spelling exempted and perhaps to have access to a keyboard or alpha smart (although a/s does not have spell check I think)

Instead of pushing your son out of sped, they should be accommodating him better. His spelling is in the 19th percentile - that should tell them it is an issue for him! It does no harm to anyone to spelling exempt him and it might be helpful for him. My son has anxiety over school issues and removing the issue of "spelling counts" for inschool work and tests helped reduce his writing refusals overall. Because he doesn't like to be singled out, he took the spelling tests, they just weren't counted against him. My son's spelling percentile was around the range of your son's the last time they tested him as well.

Good luck.

Masta

Thanks ladies.

Can you ladies give me some examples of what schools can offer when it comes to helping kids with written expression disorders.

The school suggested i purchase a spell checker. other than that they believe its a waste of time for my difficult child to be in resource english with other kids who are worse off than him. They simply say the other kids in the resoource class are so challenged difficult child is wasting his time in there, the other students can barely read and write and difficult child can get by and looks smart compared to the other students.

His resource teacher had him write "A final writing sample" called "why i shouldnt be in english resource" to show me well he is doing. His writing sample doesnt look like the words he would use eg: i think the regular english is a good challenge for me and i should stay in it.
hmmm... im surprised he could spell challenged.

I have emailed difficult children teacher asking they do further testing and if its not possible i will be requesting another Independent evaluation.

Sheila

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you ladies give me some examples of what schools can offer when it comes to helping kids with written expression disorders. </div></div>

There's not a one-size fits all -- it depends on what your child's needs to remediate. A comprehensive evaluation should include the regular-type ability and achievement testing (psychoed evaluation) plus at the minimum an Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) evaluation in my opinion. These reports should include recommendations on how to remediate -- not just accommodate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The school suggested i purchase a spell checker. </div></div>

Actually, if the school thinks your child needs a spell checker, they should provide it as an accommodation. Same with-an alphasmart -- it's also an accommodation.

I think accommodations have an important place, and sometimes they have to be a permanent part of a school career. But accommodations should not be used to supplant appropriate treatment. As prevalent as word processing is these days, to rise above entry level positions in the workplace, many jobs require an employee to be able physically write and express thoughts via writing coherent sentences, paragraphs and reports.

You know your district best, but I suggest that parents deal with the District's special education department with-these type requests. That is the responsible department (right below the executive department). Certified Mail also....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They simply say the other kids in the resoource class are so challenged difficult child is wasting his time in there</div></div>

They told you flat out the IEP isn't helping. If the resource class isn't appropriate, they need to design an Individual Education Plan!

Masta

Sheila,

My school district and the teachers in it have no clue on how to handle kids with needs.

I know there is no one size fits all when it comes to remediate & accommodations, just wondering if you or others have some good ones to suggest for a child who is struggling in written expression & spelling.

As for designing an individual IEP... they have never come up with ideas. They want my difficult child not to have an IEP. (I wonder why they don’t want to help kids; don’t they get extra funds if they have sped kids in their school district?)

I have had to fight for yrs to get difficult child his IEP. I have no idea when it comes to personalizing one either. I just ask for accommodations, extended time on homework, sit in the front row of class, extra text books for home. The school wrote in his last IEP “parent may provide spell checker for difficult child to use in class”,

As for the school district providing a spell checker/alphasmart there is no way they will purchase one. The district always complains about having no money and I know for a fact they will not go out and get one for my difficult child since they think he doesn’t need an IEP. They have suggested I purchase one.

difficult child has been evaluated by an Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) previously. I have had a full Independent evaluation done in 2005. They found he doesn’t need help in any other area except written expression/spelling and noise desensitization (c.a.p.d related). They gave him 6 sessions of noise desensitization then referred me back to the SD Audiologist. The SD audiologist doesn’t like to test kids between 12-14yrs because their neurotransmitters are developing blah blah blah… and she doesn’t get an accurate result.

Masta

Just got off the phone with difficult children English resource teacher.

difficult child has an IEP based on him being eligible because of his written expression testing. Because he was tested on the WIAT II and it showed he doesn’t qualify he can no longer have an IEP. The resource English teacher (who tested him) says they are committing fraud by continuing to get funds for a child who doesn’t qualify. Teacher also said since difficult child qualified for an IEP based on written expression he does not need a full evaluation and the WIAT II can be used as his evaluation because that was the area he was struggling in.

She then wanted to hold a meeting at 7:30am next week. I said can we have it in the afternoon. She said she will come to work and not get paid and get a sitter (tried to make me feel guilty). I said that’s ok I’ll see you in the afternoon. She wants the SD representative there because the resource teacher doesn’t know all the laws.

She said difficult child is not a resource kid. It was a school goal to get kids on grade level. Most kids aren’t on grade level and that lots of kids are worse off than him. I told her I don’t care about most kids just my difficult child.

She said he passed the CRT test Criteria reference test he scored a 4. 2 and under show the child is struggling.

She since he doesn’t qualify for written expression anymore he cannot have an IEP.

I’m wondering can a child still have an IEP even though he can’t qualify for sped classes/resource?

Sheila

I'm surprised a private Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)'s evaluation report didn't include any treatment recommendations. I would not be a happy camper. (I hope this was a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) you selected rather one that the sd referred you to.)

Other than relaying our personal experience, I don't know what to tell you.

Our son has Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) also -- it involved all the APDs (auditory cohesion). He has oral and written expressive disorder. We've done home therapy such as Earobics and VV supplementing private language therapy; he's had very intensive language therapy over a +/-3 yr period (private and via the school district). The therapy has proved fruitful -- he's gone from failing our State's accountability testing to just short of "commended performance," e.g., an A.

difficult child's motor skill delays resulted in poor handwriting. He had private Occupational Therapist (OT) and we supplemented the Occupational Therapist (OT) with-home therapy. This therapy was also fruitful.

None of the therapy was a cure, but it was effective.

One of the accommodations difficult child had for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) was an auditory trainer.

With all my son's language-based learning problems, one thing he excelled at was spelling. Go figure.... But if I felt there was no possibility of remediating the problem, I'd go for the don't count off for poor spelling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SD audiologist doesn’t like to test kids between 12-14yrs because their neurotransmitters are developing blah blah blah… and she doesn’t get an accurate result. </div></div>

I'm not an audiologist, but I don't buy it. If she can't get accurate results, an IEE is in order.

As in the NYC case, I hope a Mr. Deep Pockets that's big on principal gets ahold to you sd and State Education Agency one day.