Need your kind input.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I get to order a new walker - you know one of those fancy ones with brakes, a seat & a basket. Yeehah!

So, I'm going to run some choices by you & I'd like your opinion. Keep in mind I can add streamers & decorate for holidays. Or I can go funeral black - that seems a tad - sad.

Can you think of a more depressing addition just before the holidays. Ladies, the prednisone is making me more than a little mood swingy so you can feel free to participate or just blow this off.

I struggle daily with this vasculitis & the length of time of proposed treatment. In the meantime, who knows what these medications are doing to my body; my cognition & memories are being wiped clean it seems.

So I practice my Nintendo DS - which scores my brain age at 72 tonight - I'm 50, for heaven's sake.

I'm off to paint - let me know what you think - will you. My sisters & SILs are hitting town this coming week & we would like to go out. I need a better walker than what I have.

husband is losing it - he's worried & I can't do anything to reassure him right now. I can, however, hit him with my cane. You'll all can come to my house & for a small fee you can take a swing at my husband. It will pay for the floors I'd like to have refinished. Sound like fun? Any takers?

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
You know in looking at those I sit here and shake my head a bit. I keep thinking what will the think of next. I guess you have to look at what you want in a walker. I saw the one that you could get the night light with and thought it nifty. But the last one seemed for taller folks. The seats seemed different on some. I am so confused. Do you get to test drive them? If you have buyers remorse can you send it back and get a refund?

The one that came with the night light available also looked a bit nifty with the arced front bar. See maybe I am looking at it wrong. I know that need to be useful but I thought wow that is kinda cool. Stylish even (I never would have thought to say that about a walker).

I guess if you are taking votes that one was my favorite after I read everything.

But I guess if it were me I would want to be able to test drive a few first. Do you have a medication supply place that will bring some to you to do that? I know some will.

Good luck.

Beth

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Linda, I vote for the one with all of the bells and whistles and the nice padded seats - definately in flashy red. And you just HAVE to have the cupholder. You can get some cool stickers on line to add a little pizazz to the frame - maybe even one of those little flags to attach to the side.

Am glad to read that your sense of humor and sarcasm is very much intact. Its a good sign. I find my sarcasm gets extremely sharp the more pained I get over my SO's illness. Right now if I could package those attributes I just know I could outsell ginsu knives on late night infomercials its been that sharp and honed this week

As far as husband, Linda, its really really hard to deal with a major illness when it is the love of your life that has it. We seem to have more intense discussions (wouldn't exactly call them arguments - if we were arguing then that would mean I would win) when he thinks I am nagging, or hovering or trying to stop him from doing something a normal 47 year old man on a good day can do.

Hang in there

Marcie

meowbunny

I would definitely skip the first one -- the basket is just too low but I guess it could be used to play drop and bounce and see if the object stays. The second one is just boring. I'm not sure if anything is affecting your hands. If it is, the third one might be a problem because it has standard bicycle grips for the brakes. The ones that your hands slip into are safer in that regard. However, if there is no issue with the hands, this is one that has my vote -- it looks the sturdiest and the most fun (if a walker can be fun). The fourth one looks okay just not very sturdy.

busywend

I like the 3rd one, but it is so similar to the 4th which is sooo much cheaper. You could probably strap on a nice cushy small pillow to the cheap one.

Smack husband once for me!

The check is in the mail!

F

flutterbee

I like the name of the first one. The 'Trail Buster'. It just sounds fun. But, it's pricey and it looks like the brakes would be hard to manage.

So, my vote is for the second one.

Like Beth asked, I wondered if there is a place where you can test them out. You don't want to end up with something that causes more pain or is just not easy to use. by the way, can you use those on stairs or do you have to have one for each floor?

If we smack husband with the cane, does candy come out? I understand he's worried and stressed, but I also know how hard it is for the patient (you) to try to reassure someone else when you're still struggling with the reality of your own limitations.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Beth's right- I sure hope you can test drive these things. There is such a huge disparity in price it would be good to know if paying extra is worth it.

That said, from a pure esthetic point of view, I vote for number 3. I like the curved handlebar and the fact that it's *burgundy* :wink: . And, if you are going to that expense then you definitely have to get the cup holder and night light.

And I think you need to get yourself a new outfit to match. :princess:

Suz

tiredmommy

I vote #2. Maybe you could swing by a bike shop to pick up a horn and one of those license plates with your name!

KFld

I liked the one with the arch that you can add the drink holder and flashlight to. Does't it come in different colors though?? You don't want it to clash with your outfits when your going out on the town. Of course Christmas would be no problem, but when it comes to say Easter, when you would want to be wearing some nice pinks and yellows, it might clash a little :smile:

I think you have to go with what you are most comfortable with. This is all for your physical comfort and I would never want to try and choose one for you and have it be the wrong one.

So much pressure on this board! :scared: Just Kidding of course.

TM is right, get a horn. An oogah horn. No, an AIR horn.

And turn signals. ANd a headlight!

And fringe hanging from the handle bars.

And curb feelers.

Get one with gears. 10 gears.

(Tim Taylor voice) auh auh AUH!!

DammitJanet

I just got one that is very similar to the number two. I cant remember who mine is made by and Im not running out to the car to see...lol.

Mine is maroon and has the basket but it is under the seat and I rarely use that because I have to remove it to fold the sucker up to put it in the car.

I have the brakes and the padded seat and the padded back roll bar. The main thing I can see is to make sure that you can make it as tall as you need to have it.

Honestly I should have had them order mine for a larger person because I am heavy but I just got the one off the floor. It is a tight fit for me to sit on the seat but I can do it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I like #2. It's the one mother in law has. She LOVES it. Although when she bought hers it didn't include a cup holder. (a necessity in her opinion)

You wouldn't believe how much that seat can hold when she's transporting something from one room to the other. :rofl:

susiestar

Roll With It
I vote for the 3rd one and of course you need all the bells and whistles.

From having helped great aunts adn grandmothers buy medical equip, DO NOT BUY THE LOWEST PRICE ITEM.

Don't make me say it again.

The extra expense for the better quality is well worth it.

If you can go try them out, do wha tyou can. Otherwise maybe you can get a 30 day trial?

I do think the 3rd one is snazzier. It seems more substantial.

Will you be keeping the cane to smack husband with? nDoes candy come out? Is kt trying to steal the cane to smack husband and get candy??

Anyway, you need to find Waiting for God on your tv. It is a British comedy where the main characters (Tom and Diana) live in a retirement home. Diana is a greatly sarcastic person who smakcs people with her cane when needed. I love the show, think you would too!

Susie

Star*

call 911........call 911
Timer,

Sorry you even have to consider this at this time, we're having to consider one for my Mom too. She's having hip surgery to reattach ligaments or tendons. She says she just wants the generic kind, but I was thinking about this kind - so when she is tired she can sit where she wants.

Thanks for bringing up the sites.

First off after reading the sites there are a few things to consider. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Where will you be using this mostly? How low can you sit and get back up unassisted? Which ones give you the best warranty? And I would think IF I have to lug this thing around how much does it weigh? I mean COULD I if I had to get it in and out, set up and roll with it?

SO here's what I found out for you

#1- Trail blazer (boldly go where no woman has gone before)

Lifetime warrany
Completely rounded back rest that are the handles
Convenient breaks that point forward
8" wheels for outdoor / indoor use
Seat is 22" off the ground
User height 5'4" - 5'8"
Holds up to 300# -(good to know if 2 of you are using it)
Easy folding (I'd want to see that and try it out

#2-Go Lite (nothing is ever lite when you are handicapped)

Warranty not mentioned
padded back rest is lower than the handles
breaks
6" wheels
Seat is 22" off the ground
User height 5'4" - 5'8"
Holds up to 400#s (bring 2 friends)
Easy folding
Weighs 12#'s

This is a mini walker

Warranty not mentioned
padded back rest is lower than handles
breaks
wheel height not found
Seat is lower than most
User height 5'2" AND UNDER
Holds up to 325"s
Doesn't talk about folding ease
Doesn't talk about weight

The economy - but is it a deal?

Warranty 3 yr. on frame and breaks 1 yr. components
padded lower back rest
6" wheels
breaks
Seat is 22" off ground
User height is 5'6" - 6'3" (good for tall people)
Doesn't say how much it will hold
Doesn't talk about folding ease
Weighs 13 lbs.

So with that info-mercial there, I would say it's probably going to be #1 or #2 and I'm leaning more towards #2 because it weighs 1/2 of the amount that #1 does. 24 lbs is a LOT to be trying to get trunk or door high when you are done with it.

ANd if you're worried about color - I know for a fact you paint - so you make something nice out of it. Walker art - then sell them.

I would imagine that if you went to a pharmacy STORE - they would have these in stock for you to try. You may have to find an actual compounding apothecary store where they sell stuff like the walkers and beds - but they really aren't scary and the people are usually very discrete and nice.

Just my take on your walker dilemma. Hope you feel better.

Hugs
Star

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Thanks for all your input - husband & I are going out Wednesday evening to a shop fairly close to home. husband is leaning toward the Trail Blazer even though I'm 5'2" at best right now. I am however under the 250 pounds.

I believe that we may find something that I didn't even bring up here. At my age if I have to use a walker I'd like something with a bit of style.

Both of our vehicles are mini vans - no real space problem. I haven't had issues with my current walker behind the driver's seat. However this is the basic walker. PT & doctor would like me to have the seat for resting when I'm out & about. My balance & gait are off just a bit too much to their liking.

I bet I'm going with a burgundy color though. kt noted a green plaid walker - sorry just can't seem to even consider it. I may need to be a bit more Irish.

husband would like to see a cane holder - hadn't thought of that. It's a good idea.

Ladies, as always, I appreciate your input - you're never ending good taste & your willingness to help.