Neuro-psychologist

Malika

There are two methods of seeing a neuro-psychologist here. One can either see one via the public health service (free), which involves a very long waiting list and also a measure of uncertainty about whether one will actually be chosen to see her - seems like you have to chase it up all the time - or a private practitioner (there is one advertising in my local town). I have spoken to her and she would do tests that she said would take two to two and a half hours, at a cost of the equivalent of about 300 dollars.
I am thinking to go with the latter option but also wonder how useful this test would be at the stage of a pre-schooler. What information might I expect it to give me (I imagine there is parity between European and American working methods)? Would it reveal anything in terms of ADHD?

BusynMember

To be honest, here the neuropsychs usually test 6-10 hours. I'm not sure what can be figured out in such a short period of time. If the public neuropsychologist does a more intensive work up, it may be worth the wait. The neuropsychologist tries to get a look at the whole child and I'm not sure that can happen with such a short evaluation. Most of us here, if not covered by insurance, pay about $1500. Our insurance covered the whole ten hours.

Also, even though we went private, there was a three month wait. NeuroPsychs are very popular in the US and you can't get in right away. If I could, I'd wonder if it was somebody competenet.

Just my .02.