neuropsychologist visit today-we have the report

Wiped Out

Staff member
Today husband and I had a visit with difficult child's neuropsychologist. We had a very good meeting and our going to have at least two more with him.

We recieved the full written report-17 pages long!-he did apologize for it being so long but wanted to make sure he was encompassing everything.

I mentioned that last time he doesn't have a cognitive disability but his executive reasoning and short term memory deficits are so sever and their impact in difficult child's life are so pervasive, as to warrant the diagnosis of Cognitive Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. He also has a pattern of deficits consistent with sever dyslexia.

He did a great job of writing up recommendations for his IEP-now hopefully they will follow them. He also wrote that he will probably need help with transitional services from high school into the world of work (still a long way off).

As I said it was a very good visit. For some reason the new diagnosis of Cognitive Disorder Not Otherwise Specified made me sad even though I know it doesn't change who difficult child is or what that we've already been dealing with just not having a name for it. When you speak with him you would never guess as his verbal skills are his strength.

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #663366"> sharon, it sound like the neuropsychologist was very thorough with-the evaluation. that's great!

hopefully the IEP team will agree with-the assessment & the need to get neuropsychologist's recommendations in place ASAP.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

Seeing it in writing always makes an impact. You're right difficult child is the same little person he was yesterday or even this morning. It's just hard to grasp "the finality", if you will, of something of this significance written on a formal report.

I've rec'd reports like these many times over - you'd think I'd be used to the harsh clinical terms applied to one tweedle or the other. Every single time it impacts me - makes me cry.

I'm glad that neuro psychiatric was so very thorough; that he worked up recommendations for difficult children IEP & other interventions. It's never too early to start planning for transitional care.

Don't be too sad tonight. This is a more detailed road map for your journey with difficult child.

(((hugs))) :flower:

MeadowLark

Sharon:) I'm glad that evaluation turned out so awesome! It will surely help in the long run for him. That wonderful papertrail will help when he is ready for the work world for sure. This doctor is thinking ahead and going to save you alot of footwork having it on paper now.

Since we've been down the road of getting diagnoses for my kids; the constant change of what the diagnosis is for the same kid still amazes me.
My son is the same, the problems are the same.. the diagnosis changes with the faces of different doctor's. I just have to agree with you. No matter what diagnosis is thrown on our kids.. it still feels aweful.
Huggles
MeadowLark

oceans

It is nice to know what is going on with him, so that you know how to better help him. It sounds like it was a great evaluation!

TerryJ2

Wow, that sounds very thorough. I can imagine the feeling of finality, too. Strange, isn't it?
Sounds like you are working well together with-the neuropsychologist and you've made some good progress. :smile:

F

flutterbee

Hearing those words and seeing them in print give it certain kind of definitiveness that somehow make it more real when really nothing has changed from yesterday. Something about seeing it in black and white and having proof. It is sad. {{{{HUGS}}}}

I'm glad that the neuropsychologist evaluation was so thorough and that he worked up recommendations for the IEP. That is very helpful.

BusynMember

I wouldn't worry about the label too much. Most here know my story---three exams--three different labels. The last one seems right--he was 11 and was tested as being on the autism spectrum. One of his early diagnoses, and I still have a copy, includes a diagnosis. of cognitive disorder not otherwise specified. I think he didn't realize the cognitive differences in my son stemmed from autism because that wasn't mentioned. Having said that, my son is certainly a bright kid, whose IQ has leaped forward. Although he'll need some help as an adult, due to some deficits in life skills, he is certainly going to live a much fuller, richer life than I ever expected. Take it easy and realize things do change over time. I have lived through many diagnosis. and their changes. Getting the right help is the most important thing, in my opinion. I love NeuroPsychs. They really take the time to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses. Not even psychiatrists test so thoroughly nor do regular psycologists. Look at this as something positive for your son, and don't focus on the labels; they will likely change. My son was drug affected too, and that threw a monkey wrench into the "what's wrong with him" question. They didn't know, early on, if he was alcohol affected or not. Now that he's older (big relief) he has no symptoms of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, although the drugs may have caused the autism...take care.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks All! I do so appreciate your responses. We are glad he was so thourough. We are also glad he wants to keep working with us to help difficult child. difficult child keeps getting added more dxs but none of the others have changed. At least we keep getting a more complete picture of what is going on.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sharon, having the label allows you to research, project into the future and understand the interventions necessary. It also allows you to plan for the future.
I know having those labels helped me even if they broke my heart. I pretty much knew when difficult child was about 13, if he didn't master some basics he would not be able to live independently. Seems I was right but it also meant I was better prepared to work on the transition.