Never had this problem before

BusynMember

When the lady came over hollering at me about my lawn I told her, "I just came home from the hospital maybe an hour ago. I had major surgery." She said, "I don't give a d!%&*. Then I said, "Well, if it bothers you that much, you can always mow it yourself. I give you permission." I was really tired and on drugs for pain (which I don't do well on) and was dizzy so I had no problem telling her off. She marched away in a huff and never did mow our lawn. She had a rider too.

The actual truth is, I never mowed my lawn. I had two healthy boys who could do it. But, through my foggy/drugged head, I was thinking, "I didn't have a chance to push the boys to go out and mow t he lawn yet. I have had this surgery on my mind..."

I vow to never be that senior who hides at home day and night, sitting on the patio with tight lips, and looking around for things and people to report. The lady had too much time on her hands. Seriously.

Homeowners associations blow unless you are seriously the type who is into your lawn and want to make sure all your neighbors take pristine care of their lawns. I'm not that person. I really don't care if you park your car on your lawn. It doesn't bother me at all. Your car/your lawn/none of my business, Know what I mean??

pasajes4

I am sandwiched between 2 people who always keep their yard beautifully manicured. I get dirty looks because I mow every two weeks.

L

Liahona

I should send difficult child 1 over to your house with the weedeater then! He pretends it is a sword or gun and swings it around cackling loudly and very very not normal. Then your neighbors will be relieved that you only have that wild child over every two weeks instead of every other day.;)

susiestar

Roll With It
Some cities have laws about how high the grass can be and about trash like mattresses and old appliances around. These laws are NOT for how it looks but are usually part of the sanitation or health dept because rodents, bugs and other vermin live in these things. Our old house was out in the country and theoretically we had a HOA but the developer ran of with the $$. We did get one guy who collected $ to keep the road grated on our street only (there were four streets in the development) because people on the other streets refused to contribute. They tried to sue the HOA to grade their roads but didn't want to contribute and the court refused to even let them file.

We never mowed our yard the last 2 yrs. A couple of times the preacher across the street got someone from his church to bring a giant tractor out to do our yard, which we truly appreciated. I am not allowed to mow due to health issues and neither is Jess. thank you and husband would have, but one of the neighbors (most likely Mr. Shoot a Mole iwth a Pistol) kept coming over and destroying our mower, among other things.

I have a real problem with lawn mowing. ethically, I mean. We spend hundreds of dollars and use a huge amount of water, fossil fuels, and chemicals all to make our grass grow and then to cut it when it does. The environmental impact of our lawns is HUGE and incredibly destructive. If I had my way, it would be illegal to use chemicals or to water a lawn. Yes, it would not look pretty, but it would be vastly better for the environment. Our city is looking into ways to reward homeowners and landlords for using environmentally friendly lawn management techniques. This includes planting grass or ground cover plants that don't need much water or mowing, using mowers that don't use as much fuel or use vegetable oil based fuel (biodiesel, etc) or are operated with man power instead of a motor, using organic pesticides like neem oil rather than the harsh chemicals that are more common, and even paving your yard with gravel.

The gravel reminded me of one of my grandpa's neighbors in Florida. The family had the entire yard covered iwth concrete. Not to drive on, they just hated mowing. One neighbor complained and sued them because the concrete was not green, so they painted it with fluorescent green paint. It was hilarious looking and the complaining neighbor was LIVID. The judge apparently made the paper because he laughed and told the neighbor that he asked for it to be green, and they did it, so he could not sue them for doing what he asked.

I am sorry that you got a letter from the city. Here they include a fifty dollar fine for writing the letter, and if you don't mow the city does and you pay upward of $150 for a small city yard. It is nuts and they give you under a week to get it done yourself.

L

Liahona

So glad I don't live in your city. Wow.

Watering and mowing lawns never made sense to me either. We live in a desert, and everyone worries every year about water. But, we all have to have lawns. New Mexico doesn't have lawns.

Dixies_fire

Lots of places where I live gravel over their lawns which I understand because there is a drought every year, nothing grows without a Ton of water and water is really expensive here also. They told us when we moved here that if we opted for off post a water bill is like 300 dollars a month if you garden. Also gardening here is kind of a joke I know a few people who garden here and they will be lucky if they have one small harvest at the end of the summer. It's July and no one has anything other then small green tomatoes on their plants.