Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Marguerite

We shop for what we can from op-shops. difficult child 3 would go through shirts andtrousers so easily. HE chewed his shirts, any hole in any of his clothes would get 'worried' at and would enlarge alarmingly through the day. I patched his clothes a lot (and difficult child 1 before him). I darn wool jumpers too, as much as I can. And when I was losing so much weight, I tried to buy stuff at op-shops because I knew I wouldn't stay that intermediate shape, but I needed SOMETHING to wear!

I remember waiting in the queue at an op-shop about six months ago, I wnrt in to buy a pair of black trousers that fit (all I could fins were sparkly things with sequins on the waistband) and while waiting there I saw a white blouse with a ruffle that looked nice, I liked the light cotton it was made from. It felt soft. I bought it, I didn't even have time to try it on so I had to hope it fitted - and it did! I was wearing it today, it's a shirt I wear for best because it looks so good and it's the only white button-up shirt I have that fits me these days. other shirts are like tents on me now.

easy child 2/difficult child 2 has a lot of clothes she's outgrown, we were passing them on to a young friend of ours - only this girl, aged 10, is a larger size than easy child 2/difficult child 2 (who is 22). Not that our young friend is fat in any way - she's not. She's just getting tall as well as broad across the shoulders and already is a larger bust size than easy child 2/difficult child 2. All in the last few months. We gave her some old clothes of easy child 2/difficult child 2's only a few months ago and they fitted her well.
Last weekend our young friend had her photo taken with easy child 2/difficult child 2 wearing her wedding dress, and our young friend wanted to dress up for the photos as well, so we had her try on some of easy child 2/difficult child 2's nicer clothes - and a lot of them were too small for her!

difficult child 3 wears clothes out fast. Jeans are always too short because he's so thin yet so long in th leg. The elastic that you can pull in is good, but sometimes even that just isn't enough.
The other problem I have is getting his old clothes away from him. He can have a shirt tat is falling apart and he refuses to partwith it. he will beg me to patch clothes that are more patch tan anything else. His last pair of good jeans with the elastic wasitband we could pull in - they cost me $60 and he wore them on a bushwalk which ripped out the knees. Not impressed with him!

Marg

DammitJanet

I went to Penny's and found some pants for 6 bucks and some summer shirts on clearance for 3 bucks. I also went to Walmart and got her a couple of dresses and a darling outfit that I just couldnt pass up that is a vest with a white tee and jeans with a red plaid handkerchief to use as a belt.

donna723

OMG, this brings back the memories! I absolutely LOVED the hand-me-downs when my kids were little! My daughter had the good forture to have a girl cousin 18 months older than she was. This cousin was the pampered only grandchild on her dads' side and the grandparents bought her so many expensive clothes, she outgrew some before she even had a chance to wear them! So about twice a year, we'd get a big bag of really nice clothes for Allison! Then when she outgrew them, they went to my niece who was a year younger! Also, when she was very little, she preferred to wear dresses. I sewed back then and I had a few little patterns that I practically wore out! There was one for a sun dress that had little strips that just tied at the shoulder. No buttons, no zippers, and I could get cute fabric remnants for 50 cts or a dollar and make her a dress! Or, I could make a shorter version that was a little top to wear with shorts or pants, longer it was a dress or jumper.

My son lucked out too because my older brother had three boys, all older than my son and he got lots of nice things from them. Even my kids first two-wheeler bike was a hand-me-down from their cousins!

tiredmommy

Yup! Hand-me-downs are great! :thumbsup:

I found an armoire/dresser on craigslight for Duckie's room yesterday; my neighbor took me in her van to get it today because it's pretty big: 5 feet tall by 35.5 inches wide by 17.5 inches deep. There are two huge drawers on the bottom and three shelves behind double doors on top. It's in really nice shape... solid wood. And only $90, which is significantly less than the retail value of all the clothes she's been gifted.

So I moved her room around this morning and gave it a thorough cleaning. I can actually find things in her closet! So she now has one 5 drawer chest for shorts/capris/pants/jeans/sweatpants, she has a six drawer dresser for socks/underwear/pajamas/accessories. And she has sweatshirts/sweaters/long-sleeved tops/short-sleeved tops/tank tops in the armoire.

She now has more furniture than I do! :hammer: