New and confused

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by missdot, Apr 23, 2007.

1. missdot

missdot New Member

My son has an IEP, diagnosis with ADD 4 yrs ago, and Bipolar less than a week ago. He is in a partial. Should I ask for FBA? Change in IEP? When he is re-established in school, will have a TSS in place. He has acted out (disrespect of teachers), does not complete homework, does not participate in class, thus he was sent to partial. Just want to know since I really don't believe anything the school ever says to me.

2. Martie

Martie Moderator

Hi and welcome,

If he has is going to have a behavioral plan (BIP) and he should, then the school must do an FBA. BIPs are required for any student whose behavior impacts their academic progress. That's about 99% of the kids represented on this board. Submit your request in writing and reiterate it by certified mail.

You are a full member of the IEP TEAM THAT DECIDES THESE THINGS, SO USE YOUR POWER.

Martie

3. missdot

missdot New Member

can he have both an IEP and BIP? He has never had a BIP. What exactly is a BIP?

4. Sheila

Sheila Moderator

BIP = Behavior Intervention Plan

There's info on FBAs and BIPs in the Sp Ed Archives forum.

5. Martie

Martie Moderator

A BIP is PART OF an IEP for a child who has interfering behavior--that's behavior that interferes with HIS learning or the learning of others.

He needs an FBA to get a BIP included in his IEP. Alphabet soup for lunch anyone?

Martie