new and looking for medication advice

BusynMember

My son started out with an ADHD diagnosis., but none of the stimulants worked. In fact they made him mean and aggressive. He is on the autism spectrum, high functioning. ADHD/ODD is often first diagnosis when it is really Asperger's syndrome (high functioning autism where there are no delays except for severe social delays and cluelessness about life skills). An example is, my son isn't interested in what other kids his age are...hanging at malls, hygiene, rock music, etc. Except for when he is at school, he often prefers to be alone and is painfully uncomfortable in groups of strangers. He is almost eighteen. He is bright. He also is different and it's not just ADHD. This is a big mimicker that is often missed and, yes, the kids often fidget all the time and can't sit still. My son STILL can't. He tries hard though. There is also, for kids who rage a lot, mood disorders in children.

These are the two biggest disorders that are almost always first diagnosed as ADHD or ADHD/ODD. Not saying he has either, but a neuropsychologist evluation, which is far more intensive than anything you get in school and which also has no bias (like in school) will give you a much clearer picture of what is going on and why he behaves like he does and how you can help him. A two hour evaluation isn't very intensivse. My son was tested for ten hours by one neuropsychologist and, just last mnth, six hours by another. To say the least, it was EXTREMELY helpful (both were).

You may want to give it a try. It can't hurt and may help a lot :)

grayday

Thanks so much for your feedback. It is not Aspergers. He is quite social (friends are the most important thing to him), just immature. I will look into the neuropsychologist and also mood disorders.

grayday

Good to know the mimickers. Thanks for the info! My husband and I both have anxiety issues and I (though not professionally diagnosed) am sure I have ADD, so I am assuming it has been inherited.