New and scared

Southern Girl

Hello everyone! I am so glad to have found this site. My son will be 4 next month. He has a speech delay and currently works with the school speech therapist once a week. He also attends a preschool through the school district. I'm concerned with some of his behaviors, so the therapist is going to set up a meeting with the school diagnostician and psychologist. I hope this is the right step, please share suggestions if not. The therapist asked that I take with his teachers to find out more information about my son in the school setting. I received an email from one of his teachers and I must say these were not a surprise and makes me more concerned. Here are some things from an email I received:

He seems to have a difficult time navigating social situations. He spends a lot of time playing by himself. He plays beside but not with the other boys. He does talk to the other boys but conversation does not ensue.It seems he makes statements such as "you did the well", "look, look", "see, it's moving". There seems to be lacking the natural ease of communication that older threes display. He seems to talk to people but not with them. I'm sorry I can't be more specific. I know that when he is in the home center he will again play beside but not with the girls. At times he does initiate conversation with the girls. When we are in circle time, I notice that he has a very short attention span except when we are doing a movement or song activity. He enjoys music time. He will participate and do the movements, most of the time. He has identified shapes, colors and numbers accurately to me. He can snip with scissors very intently. He enjoys painting at the easel. He covers the entire page. When he uses the crayons or markers, it is a scribble and not a representative picture that he produces. He can tell me a lot about Thomas the Train. He seeks out the train books from the book basket. He sits in his seat for lunchtime and eats the protein item first, as is our rule. He zips and unzips his own lunchbox. He takes care of his own potty needs and is resting with less movement on his mat much better than in the beginning of the year. He understands me when I speak to him or tell him to do something.

Please share your personal thoughts about this. I like that the teacher did include things that he does well along with those that he has issues with, but I'm frightened. :sad-very:

SRL

Hi Southern Girl--I'm glad that you found us.

It's indeed a scary time when you take the first steps of considering that something might be amiss. We've all been there and know exactly what you're going through.

We are only parents here--not diagnosticians--so take everything that we say in that light. Whenever we see kids with speech problems along with social delays we urge parents to consider having the child evaluated for Autistic Spectrum Disorders. There's a wide range on the spectrum, from what we think of as classic Autism all the way to kids who display some traits, but not enough to meet the clinical diagnostic criteria. It's often missed by pediatricians early on, especially if the child is atypical or borderline.

This will help give an idea of what types of evaluations might be helpful. We suggest a developmental pediatrician, Autism Clinic, or pediatric neuropsychologist if you decide to pursue any evaluation.
http://www.oreilly.com/medical/autism/news/getting_diag.html

Is he obsessive about trains? Fascination with trains is common in kids with this neurological makeup, but of course fascination with trains alone doesn't prove anything.

Does he line up toys or other household objects into straight lines or formations?

Again, I'm not telling you that your son falls under the umbrella of Autism but with a child fitting the description you gave above, that's where I'd suggest looking first.

Last edited:

tiredmommy

I agree with SRL on this, you should seek a private evaluation in addition to an academic-based evaluation. Try to remember that your son will still be the same child you love even if they receive a diagnosis.

BusynMember

Sounds like he is on the autism spectrum. I mean, I'm a mom--I can't diagnose, but he has almost all the red flags. I would see a neuropsychologist. He will need a full evaluation from somebody who will test him in all areas.

karif

crazymomof4
It sounds like you son has some significient delays. I would first consult your peditrician and see if she can refer you to a neurologist and or physcologist. You can usually also go through the school district for these evaluations. Not knowing is the scariest place to be. Just know that your son is still your son, labels don't change that. Early intervention is the key and it sounds like you are on the right path. Hang in there it can be a long process.:D