new and wanting to know more

Hi all first off phew that I found this site! just this week my 7 year old daughter has been diagnosed with adhd and odd
she started concerta today i feel angry lost confused sad i need as much advise as i can get websites behaviour tequniques anything would help..

Marguerite

G'day, welcome. You will get the help you need. Dump on us here, ask questions, pick brains and share.

Behaviour techniques - get hold of "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. It helped us a lot, it is recommended a lot on this site.

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
Hi! Welcome to our site. We have members from all over. We truly are a wonderful source of support and friendship here. Can you tell us a bit more about what behaviors you are seeing with your daughter? Who diagnosed her (what kind of doctor - psychiatrist is psychiatrist with the MD, therapist is psychologist because they often do therapy and can do no medications but therapist can be social worker who does therapy, pediatrician is pediatrician)? What kinds of treatment are you using now? Tried in past? Thinkning about? How is she with her peers?

Around here it is slow on weekends usually, but people will be around soon.

The book Marg recommended is highly advised, though it may sound like you are spoiling the child. It really isn't, and as you may have gathered from your daughter, the things that we were raised with and/or see others doing just don't work with our kids. Our kids have special needs and gifts, they were also given to special people. We have to use different methods, but it can work.

One thing to think about as you read here is that almost all of us were given adhd as a diagnosis first. ODD is more a pattern of behaviors, and is not usually a stand-alone diagnosis (diagnosis). It can be, but that is not very common. That is why we will ask a lot of questions, so that we can suggest things that might help. We are not docs, but we love our kids, and care about you and yours.

Have a good day!

Susie

busywend

Welcome! You are wise to seek us out.

First of all, I would be very watchful of your difficult child since starting the medication. Keep track of anything that changes. Behavior, attention, anger, hunger, sleep, etc.

Second, I have found that my traditional parenting techniques, the ones that were natural and comfortable for me, just did not work with my difficult child. So, I had to try some things that I never thought I would, like detaching and picking my battles.

Also, be sure you get some ME time for yourself as it is draining to parent a difficult child.