New article in Time on development ADHD brain

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Without reading your link yet, I did hear a blurb on the radio today that said the brains of kids with ADHD matured at a slower rate than non-ADHDers -- with as much as a 3-year lag. The study took actual measurements and the thickening process occured much later than in "normal" kids.

Also heard an amusing blurb that "curvy" women tended to be more intelligent and produced smarter babies -- that certainly made MY day (as she struggles again with that blasted zipper on her jeans)! Gee honey, you can thank my hips for your whiz kids... /

LittleDudesMom

Susie,

thanks for the link. I think most of parents with children with adhd could have told the scientists this years ago!! But it is good to see that they are studying and finding out more information about the brain. I found this to be the most interesting information in the article:

"As doctors continue learning about the ADHD brain, however, more and more alternative treatments, such as attention training and psychotherapy, are gaining traction. Research shows that the brain is not static — that it can physically change with experience. Studies reveal that the brains of some piano players, for instance, are more developed in the areas responsible for finger movement, while in the brains of people who have practiced meditation long-term, the attention centers are physically larger than average."

Sharon

Stella Johnson

Thanks for the link! I'm going to research the meditation the article mentioned. The article explains my difficult child quite well.

Steph

mum2JK&TH

I was just about to post this

I will remain hopeful that this is the case and these kids will not always have to be medicated

Sheila

The 2/3rds rule has been around for a good while, but it’s good there’s some supporting scientific evidence.

A 70% chance of ADHD being inherited I believe is a substantial percentage change. I don’t recall that the % of expectation has been that high in my prior readings – particularly considering just one parent, e.g., “What's clear, though, is that ADHD is highly heritable — if one parent has or had the condition, their child has about a 70% chance of inheriting it.”

I first misread, “Though most people outgrow the hyperactivity aspect — characterized by having trouble sitting still, moving around when others are seated, or talking while others are talking — about a quarter to a third of children and teenagers carry their ADHD into adulthood.” I interpreted it as all ADHD symptoms, and kind of dismissed the study – blew right through the hyperactivity aspect notation. lol Glad I reread it.

The CNN article states, “Dr. Louis J. Kraus, chief of child psychiatry at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois, said "what is really important about this study is it shows us there is clearly something biologically driven for children with ADHD." I’d like to package it and sent it to all the ignorant people that believe “ADHD does not exist.”

“Delayed in the ADHD children was development of the higher-order functions and areas which coordinate those with the motor areas.” And, “Slowest to mature in ADHD children were parts of the front and side of the brain that integrate information from the sensory areas with the higher-order functions. One area lagged five years in those with the disorder.” More scientific support regarding executive function, motor skill, and sensory issue problems experienced by our ADHD kids?

“It is important that parents don't immediately jump out and want to get some type of MRI of their child's brain, or functional study to support a diagnosis," Kraus added in a telephone interview.
Shaw agreed: "Brain imaging is still not ready for use as a diagnostic tool in ADHD. Although the delay in cortex development was marked, it could only be detected when a very large number of children with the disorder were included. It is not yet possible to detect such delay from the brain scans of just one individual. The diagnosis of ADHD remains clinical, based on taking a history from the child, the family and teachers."”
Hope they develop this technique very soon. Can you imagine the time and money that could be saved in getting a timely diagnosis and early interventions?

Thanks ladies.

Sheila

Gosh, had a horrible thought. For those that don't understand ADHD well, based on this study, there'll be those that take the position that "s/he'll grow out of it"