New at this--gift for the teen girlfriend

SRL

How does this sound to you? My oldest has been dating a girl (age 16) for over a year so I wanted to get her a Christmas gift. I went to Aeropastle and got a $ 25 gift card and fuzzy socks and added a glittery nail polish to it. I'm shooting for not too expensive, not too cheap, and likely to be used by most teen girls.

Malika

As long as the girl in question is not a quiet, bookish, conservative type (which, since she is dating, she presumably is not :)), your gifts sound most appropriate!

SRL

As long as the girl in question is not a quiet, bookish, conservative type (which, since she is dating, she presumably is not :)), your gifts sound most appropriate!

LOL. I'm bookish and conservative and she's not, which is partly why I'm asking!

That is a great gift! My 20-year-old easy child is dating a 19-year-old, they've been together for 2 years, both bookish, they met on the chess team. I bought her a black pair of Isotoner gloves and a black watch. She doesn't wear make-up, use shower gel......it's hard to come up with something. You're gift is perfect.

S

Signorina

Perfect gift! I am giving my 19 yos girlfriend of 3 years a pretty scarf & socks, 17 yo's girlfriend of 2 years is getting a set of lip glosses.
(last year it was vice versa-I'll need suggestions for Christmas 2012!)
$20- $25 seems just right.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Perfect! I have to get difficult child's boyfriend E a gift and I usually end up getting him a gift card. This year I'd like to get him something a tad more personal but haven't got a clue!

BusynMember

My daughter would have been thrilled with that!

Her boyfriend is very studious and quiet and practical and I got him a $50 gift certificate for gas for his new car...lol. He has to pay for everything himself and got a used car that gets like 40 mpg so I know gas is an issue. You have to go by the kid :) Good job!

susiestar

Roll With It
It is a great gift.

For a teen boy you can do headphones, movie tickets, gift cards to fast food places or music/book stores, that type of thing. If they drive, gift cards for gas are always appreciated. We gave husband's nephew giftcards to a bunch of different fast food places one year and he was thrilled.

Giftcards for gamestop are also pretty universally liked.

DammitJanet

Im still trying to figure out what to get Mandy for Xmas. Last year I got her some bath and body stuff because she goes through it like water. Oh plus last year I got her and Cory some pots and pans and glass bowls for the house. Thats what he specifically asked for. Yeah my difficult child wanted pots and pans...lol. This year I gave them the cell phone as a couple so I am thinking of adding a waffle maker and some make up for her. Cory has been begging me for my moms antique waffle maker but its about 60 years old and the cord is lost. It wouldnt be safe anyway.

SRL

Thanks for the input, everyone. I feel better about it now that I've run it through a few moms. TM, it's easy child and I'd say it's a dead heat right now. He's really laid back about holidays and gift giving.

It is a great gift.

For a teen boy you can do headphones, movie tickets, gift cards to fast food places or music/book stores, that type of thing. If they drive, gift cards for gas are always appreciated. We gave husband's nephew giftcards to a bunch of different fast food places one year and he was thrilled.

Giftcards for gamestop are also pretty universally liked.

I hear from my oldest teen guys that these magnets are popular and fun. They also go by the brand name Magnet Balls.

The video game loving teen guy at our house is getting a box with a Wii points card, gift cards for a couple of favorite pizzas, and a gift card to a nearby grocery store for snacks.

H

HaoZi

If you know what perfume she likes, a gift set is always useful (but you have to know for sure what she likes to wear). Pampering bath sets are good, too.

skeeter

I was lucky with my (now) daughter in law. As long as it was purple, it was good! This year I asked all kids (my two sons, my daughter in law and my two step daughters) one thing the NEEDED and one thing they WANTED. Oldest son got steel toed boots (needed) and it getting tools (somewhat needed but ones he wouldn't buy himself). daughter in law already has her needed gift - a new winter coat - and her wanted is I'm paying for her to have her hair cut and colored. Younger son it getting knives (he's a chef and these are EXPENSIVE). His girlfriend - I found a little silver flute necklace (she plays). SD 1 wanted a locket with her grandfather and dad's picture. SD 2 wanted a new camera lens. All get some stocking stuffers.

TerryJ2

Very thoughtful!

I bought a cpl things for my difficult child's girlfriend but he said she insisted she didn't want anything. I even ran it by her mother, to make sure it was okay. But difficult child insists that he is not going to give her anything if she doesn't want it.
I told him that she's only 12, going on 13 in Jan., and girls this age say that, but if you don't give them something, they get upset. It's a "girl" thing.
He is, of course, taking her literally.

So ... I can eat a 14" gingerbread man by myself. But I hate toe socks ...

InsaneCdn

So ... I can eat a 14" gingerbread man by myself. But I hate toe socks ...

Hang onto those toe socks... it won't be hard to find somebody to give them to.
One year, a "new" teacher (i.e. young) at the school saw one of the kids in toe socks, and let on that she loved them too...
She ended up with 10 pair of toe-socks for end-of-year gifts!
(and yes, she wore them to school the next year)

SRL

But difficult child insists that he is not going to give her anything if she doesn't want it.
I told him that she's only 12, going on 13 in Jan., and girls this age say that, but if you don't give them something, they get upset. It's a "girl" thing.
He is, of course, taking her literally.

:rofl: Aw well, think of what good company he's in with this mistake. Best he learn this lesson while he's still young.

TerryJ2

LOL!

Well, this a.m. he asked me what I had bought her for Christmas. I told him red and white toe socks, and a huge gingerbread cookie, as though we'd never had the conversation before.
"What are toe socks?"
LOL!
"Okay, I'll give her the gingerbread cookie." (Except she doesn't really like gingerbread ... but at least difficult child knows what it is.)

:bigsmile: