new book list

Lothlorien

Just read Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Still listening to the Outlander series. I'm currently listening to The Fiery Cross. Next is A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

I really liked Stardust so I'm going to read The Anansi Boys next and I'd like to get Neverwhere after that. Anyone read those? Stardust is a simple and quick read.

I also just got John's Story, today. It's the first book of The Jesus Chronicles by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins (the writers of the Left Behind Series)

I'm probably biting of more than I can chew, but since the weather is getting nice, I like to read outside while the kids are outside.

N

Nomad

Wow..
That is a lot of books.
I just read Happier Now and thought it was very good.
I also am enjoying Steering by Starlight by Martha Beck.
Has anyone read The Shack? A friend just gave that to me.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I finished Crazy......EVERYONE who has a child in the mental health system/age of being able to be prosecuted for his actions should read this. Awesome insight and fantastic research. Story about his son wasn't all there - but I got the idea of anonymity.

I have Southern Widow - slow going.

And I'm still working my way through - HOW to talk so your kids will listen and how to Listen so your kids will talk (Lovely friend got me that and the teen version) - since the kid isn't here I'm practicing on the dog and DF.

Anne Rice (favorite) Memnoch -

AND I'm working on my own book - about my life. Should be interesting...pft.....that's narcissistic. :devil2::laugh:

susiestar

Roll With It
I am currently reading Incubus Dreams by Laurell K Hamilton. Not sure what I will read after that one. It is an interesting series.

Star, we ALL would be interested if you wrote a book. I have been asking you to for 2 years now. Get to it, woman! If ever one of us has a gift for writing, it is YOU!

Star*

call 911........call 911
YES Susie - YES YES -

um Loth - isn't that shooting a little stellar? pft - get it ? Star Stellar?

(makes note to write that down)

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I am still trying to muttle through Eragon, I am not sure why I am so determined to read this trilogy?

I also want to read Pat Cunnigham Deveto's "The Summer we got saved" she's an awesome author, I read her other two books and loved them!

I would like to read the new Tim Lahaye series, too

I have too many books stacked up

Oh and I am also in the middle of

"You can't make me, but I can be persuaded", LOL, I'll let you know, but so far I am skeptical!!!

Marguerite

Here's one I bet you haven't read. I'm halfway through the second book of the pair, I've read them several times before and just wanted to touch base with it all again.

It's "I, Claudius" and its sequel, "Claudius the God" by British poet and writer Robert Graves. They were first published in 1934. I've also got his "The Greek Myths" (both volumes) which I'm using as research material.

"I, Claudius" was made into a TV mini-series (BBC TV) in the mid-70s, absolutely brilliant. We've got the DVDs as well. I found the detail in the history of Roman politics from Augustus through to Nero to be fascinating. The books come with a family tree at the back of each one. The first volume has the Caesars, the second volume the Herods (very complicated indeed, with uncles marrying nieces, divorcing, then other uncles marrying other nieces). There is a wonderful quote in the book about Herod the Great, who executed his favourite wife and two of their sons. later he executed another son (half-brother to the other two) and according to Robert Graves, Augustus referred to this by saying, "I would rather be Herod's pig than Herod's son." Apparently Herod the Great was a better Jew than a parent.

The books are written as the autobiography of Claudius, who was born into the Caesars (a murderous lot) as a weak, sickly child who had a number of lifelong disabilities which led people to believe for most of his life that he was "not the full quid" as we say in Australia. He had polio, walked with a limp, had bad tics, a stammer, aphasia at times, and at a time when the Body Beautiful was valued, was a thing of disgust to his family. And yet he outlived most of them because of his wits and nobody seeing him as a political rival, to become Emperor after the assassination of Caligula.

If you can find copies of them, I hope you will enjoy them. They can be dry reading at times because of the intense detail, but I am finding more with each reading.

If you can find the DVDs of the BBC mini-series you should enjoy that as well. There were some very good actors in it, some before they were well known. Patrick Stewart, for example, played Sejanus (a rather nasty piece of work, an ambitious soldier in the confidence of Tiberius); Caligula was terrifyingly played by John Hurt (he's the bloke who was the first victim in "Alien" who reprised the role in "Space Balls" in the cafeteria scene where he died saying, "Oh no, not again..."). Sian Phillips (Mrs Peter O'Toole at the time) was Livia, the Machiavellian murderous wife of Augustus. A very young John Rhys-Davies was Macro, another vicious bodyguard like Sejanus, only working for Caligula. And the main role of Claudius was played by Derek Jacobi, who you may not know, apart from a one episode role he played in "Frasier" as a snobbish Shakespearean actor (sending himself up well).

Derek Jacobi has also been in a series based on a medieval monk in Shrewsbury, a book series written by British author Ellis Peters about Brother Cadfael. They are medieval forensic murder mysteries. You would enjoy those as well, if you can get them - books as well as DVDs. They are a much easier read than "I, Claudius".

Ok, that's my review for the week.

Marg

Lothlorien

Marguerite, I have watched several of the I, Claudius episodes, but I can't seem to catch them all. I wish I had the CDs. I'll have to see if the library has them, but I have a feeling they won't. They don't seem to keep the older stuff around. I was looking for The Jury series and they don't have that either. Unfortunately, we don't get the BBC channel, other than the news channel. There has been some advertising for some good BBC series and I'm peeved that I don't get that channel. I'll have to be on the prowl to see if I can find the books of I, Claudius. I didn't know the series was based on books. I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat! I still want The Jury series though! I found it on Amazon, but it's $99.00 and I'm simply not going to spend the money on it.

klmno

Not to get too far Occupational Therapist (OT), but someone mentioned a book a few weeks ago that I thought my Mom might like to get for Mother's Day- Southern Comfort or something- does anyone remeber the exact title and author?

Thanks!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I just finished "Beautiful Boy" David Sheff... I know lots have read it on the P.E. forum. I found his writing a bit scary and too close to home for me, he is situated right were I lived with my Dad and lots of places are mentioned in his book that I have dealt with and been to. My Father and I were both using when we lived in Marin. My Father, Heroin and me lots of other things, much like Nic. I never got so bad with Meth, but close with other things, only dabbled in it a few times. I thought it was a good read though, I was touched by his honesty and what he has done in his life. For himself and Nic. How he found strength without losing his love...

I am starting "Kingdom Coming, The Rise of Christian Nationalism" Michelle Goldberg...
I don't think this book would be for every one... it talks a lot about corruption of Religious Liberalists... Separation of Church and State.

I may try to find a light read as well!!! LOL

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
My mother in law has on her book shelf
"Breath, Eyes, Memory" Edwidge Danticat
It is an Oprah Book Club pick.. it is from '94, looks kind of sad. But short and a possible great story. "A haunting life of a young Haitian girl"...
I will start it also...

susiestar

Roll With It
The Brother Cadfael series looks great. I love the forensic mysteries. Book AND DVD. We don't have cable out here, and don't have satellite either, so I will have to find them on ebay or somewhere.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Keep the books coming in. I've got a 4 page list of them. I always like going to the library with ideas. Just email me if you want to document.

Abbey

smallworld

Toto, I'm reading Beautiful Boy right now. It's beautifully written and heart-breaking. My 20-year-old nephew just had to take a leave from college because of drug addiction so it has touched us a bit too close to home as well.

I just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, a novel about a high school shooting (a la Columbine). It goes into great detail about the toll bullying can have on our children. Haunting.