New cigarette regulations

klmno

Yeah I know I should quit and these new regs might lead me to it. These cigs are made now to extinguish themselves relatively quickly, so every time I set one down for 30 secs it goes out. That leaves me having to smoke the things as fast as possible which is very annoying. And they accomplished this by making the paper differently. So if I try to re-light one that has gone out, it flames up in my face for a second and I'm not crazy about that either. :faint:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
While very annoying at times, this new feature has also proven handy and to save us some cash.

husband is prone to lite a cig and either hold it or leave it sit in the ashtray....while he might take 1-2 drags per cig before putting it out or it burns out. husband is a chain smoker, literally. Drives me nuts and makes me furious. This new feature to the smokes.......heheh, he has to relite that cig every time he just holds it or leaves it in the ashtray....stopping him from lighting a new one. He lites the old one saving us some money. lol

Plus if I lite one while doing homework and set it down in the ashtray and forget about it........it doesn't just burn up and get wasted. It goes out and I can lite it later and smoke it. :D

Now this lovely new feature is a total PITA when your driving down the highway at 75 mph and having to lite your cig every 3 mins cuz it keeps going out.:tongue:

As for quitting......I'm planning on saving up a portion of my refund checks from FASFA over the next quarters and stashing it away. Hopefully by the time I'm all done with school I'll have enough tucked away to afford the chantix long enough to have it work long term. Awesome medication. My problem is I never have the upfront money to refill the script......... And I hate it when ppl say Oh, you spend that much on cigs in a month, so should be no problem. 1. no I don't spend that much in cigs. I am now smoking cigars the size of cigs at 1.88 a pack...and believe me you don't smoke as many. and 2. I don't pay for my cigs all at once at the beginning of the month.....it's spread out over time with another pay period in there. sheesh!:ashamed:

donna723

I think the 'new' cigarettes are a royal pain in the butt! They're harder to get lit in the first place, and if you put them down for a minute they go out. And if you don't notice that they've gone out and take a big drag on them, it's just NASTY! Then when you re-light them, they flare up in your face! :ashamed:

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, I will say.........that these cigarette/cigars that husband and I smoke aren't as bad with it as the normal cigs are. Especially that flaring up in the face thing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Yep, I'm with the PITA thing. Unfortunately it's not slowing me down, either... Though if I have to drop it in the ash tray and run for something, it's nice to not have it burn down.

dreamer

i think my state started these last year? I hate it, I hold cigs more than smoke them and I refuse to relight...........but,i hear it is safer for fire safety reasons?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's supposed to be, but I doubt it. For instance if a hot ash/spark gets on the mattress it can smolter (sp) long hours after the cig has gone out and still cause a fire. Probably same with like a couch or so, too.

But I don't allow smoking in bedrooms. :)

klmno

I don't know- it might help prevent other things catching on fire but it could catch me on fire when I try to light the darn thing again. LOL! And yep, I have taken a draw from one that has gone out a couple of times and it does taste B.A.D. Dummy me didn't even learn about the law until I'd gone thru several packs thinking something was just wrong with that lot of cigs. LOL!

DammitJanet

Chiming in late here on this cause I just got back in town.

I also thought I was doing something wrong with smoking the cigs...lol. Thought I had forgotten how to smoke...lmao. Then Cory showed me the FSC on the packs. Ah ha moment.

Its ok by me.

Now...fast forward to a month or so ago. I have always smoked in bed. Never a problem. I have insomnia and it takes a ton of medications to put me to sleep. Well, one morning a month or so ago I woke up in bed with a cigarette stuck to my butt by a marshmallow! Now just think how bad that would have been if it wasnt for FSC?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I do not smoke in bed. It has been a fast and firm rule all my life. My dad was ill with congestive heart failure and had sleep apnea so badly that he used to fall asleep anywhere and everywhere.

We used to find cigarette burns on the mattress and furnishings in his bedroom all the time. Scared the heck out of us.

Lothlorien

mother in law smokes, but she'll light one up and take a drag, then walk away. Most of the cigarette burns down before she takes another drag. The new cigs go out and she relights them.

Why not make the cigarettes half the size? I don't know. I hate smoke. I'm not one to ask, but I can see why people would hate to waste one, being that they cost so much. I think it would be easier for people to quit if they sold "quitting cartons" where the size and the packs keep getting smaller.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Loth - I like the idea... But... I smoke 100's because they're longer, same amount of money. They actually DO last longer. So I don't know if the "quitting cartons" would work for me.

Maybe. But others - well, they just might!

DammitJanet

Ok...I will explain and its not some fantasy.

I have to eat something at night with my medications. I revolve through a variety things that I use for these snacks. At that particular time I was making cookies that called for some marshmallows so I had a couple of bags of them in the house. I love the mini marshmallows. So one night I was snacking on them while watching TV in bed after I had taken the night medications. I try to force myself to sit up in bed so I dont fall asleep but sometimes I just fall asleep sitting up. Evidently that night was one of them.

The next morning I woke up feeling something sticky on my butt. (I sleep naked most of the except for a shirt) I reached around and found a cigarette attached to my butt by a marshmallow.