New DSM Diagnosis and a question

rhiannon163

I haven't posted here in a very long time. My difficult child is now 9, I started posting here when he was maybe 4 or 5. He has come a very long way, and I have hope that he will turn out mostly normal. I'm very interested in hearing what others here think about the new diagnosis being proposed for DSM-V, called Temper Dysregulation Disorder (TDD). There's a link to an article over on the News board. I thought this board would get more responses.

My difficult child had a diagnosis initally of Mood Disorder not otherwise specified, mostly because the psychiatrist was afraid of the bipolar label. I honestly don't think he has bipolar, after doing much research. But something caught my attention in the new diagnosis, and it was this section...

C. Mood between temper outbursts:

1. Nearly every day, the mood between temper outbursts is persistently negative (irritable, angry, and/or sad).

That doesn't necessarily describe my son. He can be quite happy at times. He can be happy almost all day, with minor disturbances along the way. I'm pretty sure part of it is that he is growing out of this (I hope).

For those of you who have a difficult child like this (think The Explosive Child), what are his/her moods like between rages?

P.S. My signature is out-dated, for some reason it would not let me edit it. I turned the big 40 this year, I guess it's been that long. Wow.

smallworld

Welcome back Rhiannon,

I've been following discussion about TDD with interest both here and at CABF. I'm happy to exchange thoughts with you.

You can update your signature by going to the UserCP at the top left-hand corner of this page.