New Family Addition

M

ML

We have a new kitten, and we've named her "Nikita" or "La Femme Nikita" as husband has named her. We got her at the animal rescue and she's three months old. I wish I could attach a picture, she is beautiful. She is a "torbie" with shades of black, red/brown and white. She has a very social personality and lets manster hold her as much as he wants. We're already in love with her.

Interestingly she and the bird are getting along well. The bird is a bit aggressive, he walkis right up to her when she's on our lap and he's on one of our shoulders. But we don't take our eyes off of them. They are both fairly jealous of each other, both being babies and wanting lots of attention.

Just wanted to share.

TerryJ2

Awww, congratulations! She sounds adorable.
I would definitely keep my eye on the bird and cat together ...
Torties are so gorgeous.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Torbies and torties are not the same. I'm going to avoid the genetics lesson despite being a former breeder and all of that. Torties are solid color females (The only way a male can a tortie or torbie is for him to have an abnormal genetic makeup, usually XXY e.g. Kleinfelter's Syndromej. If a tortie has white, she is a calico.

Torbies are patched tabbies: they have the same sort of markings but instead of black patches they have brown/black tabby patches. Torbies don't get any special names if they have white markings: they are just "torbies with white".

In both cases the red patches may very well show tabby markings. It is genetically impossible for a red cat to not have tabby markings. So, if the red patches are of any size, you may very well see at least faint tabby markings on those spots as wel.

I have always found the torbie and tortie girls to be a bit free spiritied, sort of the "indigo children" of the cat world. No genetic reason for that I can see, but some of them can be a bit difficult child, though usually in a good way, LoL

M

ML

Thanks GN, you do know your stuff. Yes, Le Femme is a patched torbie with black, brown, reddish and white. Hey, can you PM me your email so I can send you a picture and tell me if she in fact is a Torbie as they said? She does seem free spirited but extremely social and loving at the same time. She's got the run of the place here in true Czarina style.