New Family Member........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Maggie has been missing Rowdy and Molly something fierce. I've waited and waited hoping it would improve.............

Only it hasn't improved, she's been so very lonely with no other dogs around. I thought having Nichole's beagle pup Baily come visit would help as they're great friends. Only when Baily leaves, it's worse than ever. When easy child rescued her 6 month old lab mix Ammo from the pound and they hit it off, I thought oh that would do the trick because so far she has seen and spent time with Ammo every day either playing in the yard or going on a walk together. Uh, no. That also seemed to make it much worse. It's like she's on cloud nine when they're here but when they leave she comes crashing down further than she was before.

Sooo I found myself with the opportunity to adopt a 6 wk old lab puppy. Something clicked inside me. (I dunno maybe it was the insanity button) Next thing I know this morning I'm bringing said puppy home. I'm not the only insane one, though, as Nichole adopted one from the litter too as Baily is having issues adjusting after the loss of Betsy as well. The previous owner told me that if for any reason.........whether I just decide in a few days that I temporarily lost my mind or if for some reason Maggie and the new baby didn't quite fit together to give her a call and she would be happy to take him back. That made me feel a little better.

Maggie, however, was thrilled to death the moment she laid eyes on him. Well, them as Nichole brought her pup inside too for the introduction prior to going out and getting puppy food. lol Immediately I noticed Maggie was mothering........and was much calmer. She was thrilled and excited, but not that wild out of my mind excited she's been doing since Molly and Rowdy passed away. She seems to have taken immediately to the pup I chose, although she likes them both, and dotes on him more. lol She kept bringing him all her favorite "baby" toys. Cracked me up.

So Rufus the lab has joined our family. Maggie is no longer alone except for an autistic bro and a boring Mom.

After coming home from getting puppy food..........easy child brought Ammo and the boys over too and everyone went into the yard. OMG There were toddlers and puppies everywhere. Maggie and Ammo went off to play bigger doggie games while stopping to play lil puppy games for a few mins here and there or to check on toddlers and get petted and told how good they were. Grandsons Brandon, Connor, and Oliver were surrounded by dogs and in heaven. Ammo and Maggie played until collapse. lol

Rufus is napping in Maggie's crate. (Nichole needs to bring me back the puppy size crate) and Maggie is sleeping next to it. I've nearly gotten Maggie weaned from the crate anyway except at night. Later there will be another play session with Ammo in the yard (to tire Maggie to the point where she won't drag me down the street) and then a 2 mile walk.

A problem has resurfaced with the warmer weather, however. Last year from the time I brought her home Maggie had issues with over heating........or I assume it's over heating as she will not only drink tons of water but will go bonkers trying to get wet. This starts with her at 60 degrees. If she runs/plays she can't get enough to drink and then starts digging frantically in her water dish trying to soak herself. She does have a longish coat but I wouldn't say it's that thick. Certainly no where near as thick or dense as Rowdy's coat was or even Betsy's and I never had a issue with either of them doing this or over heating. Rowdy would stick his head in the water dish to cool off on a hot day.......but trust me, it's not the same thing. Over the winter she was fine no matter how long she played. Just at 60 degrees (I've been watching the outside temp when it happens) the behavior shows up again. Today she was playing with a black lab......he didn't seem hot at all while she couldn't get away from the water dish for very long.

Anyone have experience with such a thing? She's got to go back for her ears again. And now I will take Rufus in to be checked and get his shots........so I will discuss it with the vet again.....last year he thought it might just be due to her being so little and the weather so hot. But obviously that is not the case. I was wondering if she could be having problems with body temp regulation??

Sooo, while I might have had a moment of insanity, I don't really think so. It feels "right" having Rufus here. I'll post pics when the girls upload them online so I can copy them to my computer. :)

Jody

Love it congratulations. Rufus couldn't have gotten a better doggie Mom. Enjoy him, can't wait for pictures.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Rufus is the one in the lower half of the photo:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/Lisaisqueen/Rufusandbro.jpg

Brandon and Rufus:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/Lisaisqueen/brandonandrufus.jpg

Maggie Ammo and Rufus:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/Lisaisqueen/maggieammoandrufus.jpg

Maggie 1 yr old:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/Lisaisqueen/Maggie1yr.jpg

Maggie and her new bestest bud Ammo the pound rescue pup:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/Lisaisqueen/maggieammoandbrandon.jpg

Nichole should have one of Rufus with a facial pose, so when she uploads that one I'll post it. :)

InsaneCdn

Woof! Arf!

(That's my two furbabies voicing their opinoin)

LAB, no less.
Like... the absolutely most adorable lovable furbabies ever. (ya, mine are part lab too...)
Be warned, though... unless they are sleeping, labs LOVE attention 24/7.
At least he's got Maggie!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
MWM I've had my avatar since the board moved to this forum..........I don't remember how to change it. lol

Today went well. Maggie is having to understand a teeny puppy doesn't play like an older puppy. But when she got a bit too rough Rufus let her know about it in no uncertain terms. lol I thought she might want to follow me outside every time he needed to potty but she doesn't seem interested, which is good as he's going to be needing to do that often.

Now I have to see how she does over night out of her crate. Should be ok as I've never had an issue during the day.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Too Funny, Janet.

I have NO clue where the name Rufus came from..........I saw him and it just popped into my head. He's such a little sweetie though. However it really points out just how unsocialized Maggie was when I brought her home.

witzend

Maggie looks tickled to bits! A six week old?!?!?! Are you nuts? LOL! ;)

Oscar was almost a Rufus, because Rufus is actually Latin for "Red Haired". But, I got nixed on that one, so "go Rufus!" And good for you and Maggie, Lisa. I remember how thrilled Mandy was to have Oscar, and they are best friends. I don't know what we'll do if Mandy goes first - as she probably will due to being 4 years older and 50 pounds larger. Oscar totally relies upon her being there and knows nothing else, but I doubt that he would tolerate sharing his world with a new puppy!

susiestar

Roll With It
How very cute. Great news and I am sure this will help Molly tons. It is astonishing how long a dog or cat can grieve.

I have no idea what the overheating means. Might ask the vet about a thyroid issue? I don't knwo if they are related, but my thyroid is not working even a tiny bit and I have the worst trouble when I get hot. Even just warm means I want to vomit, and I don't sweat normally. It can be hot as Hades and I will not get any real sweat at all. The docs are not sure why but some think it is related to my thyroid.

You do need to keep a doggie thermometer very handy and check her often when she is overheated. If it gets too high, some say 103, others 105, you must cool her off ASAP. The vets and vet hospitals here pour straight alcohol all over them from half gallon to gallon containers. Isopropyl alcohol is what tehy use and it works. we had a friend with a dog that kept overheating and they started ordering alcohol in gallon bottles because otherwise the dog can die or have brain damage. The alcohol never seemed to hurt, not from how the dog acted.

I hope they can figure out what is going on wtih her.

witzend

You do need to keep a doggie thermometer very handy and check her often when she is overheated. If it gets too high, some say 103, others 105, you must cool her off ASAP.

Normal doggy body temp for a dog is between 100 and 102.5. You might check with your vet to see what Molly's is when she is feeling well. Getting worried at 103 might be overdoing it.

Rubbing alcohol would be a good idea as an immediate treatment, I think, so long as you can keep it out of their eyes. They have used it on humans for years.