New here and desperate for help...

carolinablonde

Is it an option to transfer her to a facility with a child unit? Even if it means she's in one out of the area it would be much more appropriate. I can understand better why they keep trying to send her home if she's on an adult ward.

I can't believe Charlotte doesn't have any child psychiatric units.

Hope they're willing to take her again.

Patricia

I'm sorry. I wasn't very clear on that. :) The ER tries to send her home. She does end up getting transfered to hospitals with child units. So far she's been at one 2 hrs away, 1 hour away and 3 hours away. Right now, none of them that they have on their "list" to call have any beds, so she'll probably be in the ER all weekend while they're waiting for a bed to open up at one of the hospitals. Charlotte does have a hospital with a child psychiatric unit, but we haven't been lucky enough to get into that one.

DDD

I am not an expert in this area but I have been a CD member for way too many years and I have done State work with kids who were adopted or placed in foster adopt homes. I know for a fact that once you have well established that you have a severely damaged child the "system" is often not prepared to offer alternative placement. It is a financial decision on their part and does not fully address the danger to others in the home or the well being of siblings. Although it sounds unkind (believe me I am not that!) I firmly believe you have to save the family unit. Severe disorders are, in my humble opinion, like a lethal physical disease...it spreads thru the family unit and beyond and results in multiple generations of dysfunction. You apparently have done everything you could do to create a supportive loving family. It hasn't worked and it is not your fault. You probably need legal counsel to protect yourself and the others but I don't think you need to keep hoping for the best. Statistically the best does not work out for a full family unit when one member is so damaged and damaging. I am sorry you are faced with such heartbreaking circumstances. Hugs. DDD