New here. Hello!

katiedid

So, I signed up here on a whim because I was looking for info on Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and ODD and schizophrenia. I'm an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) and I have a couple of kids I work with who have these diagnoses, which is new to me. My background training is in all things language-related, AAC, articulatio, working with kids on the spectrum, and these kids with behaviors are perplexing. I thought I might learn from you all and be able to give input while I'm at it.

I have personal experience with depression, and my husband has ADD--so I battle that daily in my own life. My 2 kids seem to be developing typically so far.

InsaneCdn

Hello, and welcome.

You may find that you are in the minority here - we're mostly parents dealing with our own kids and trying to find answers.

But we sure don't mind if the people who work with "our" kids want to come on board, and ask questions and learn too.

Thanks for introducing yourself, and for creating a sig!

buddy

Hello to a fellow Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) (and I think I saw at least one other along with a few sp. ed. and teachers etc.) I have been an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) since dinosaurs roamed the earth but anyway, that is not my main role right now. So, fair warning....God has a sense of humor and after working in the field for so long with some of the toughest kids, I ended up with my one and only being pretty involved. (autism, acquired brain injury etc...see signature). I hope you find from this list the importance of really listening and not judging parents. I have worked with some teachers who will say things like "if the parents only...blah blah blah..." and I go crazy especially if they dont even have children of their own! You sound like you genuinely want to understand and help these kids and having kids of your own you get that you are the expert on your kids. Thanks for your caring. The part most schools dont see if the 24/7 hyper-vigilance (sp? I'm tired)...and stress families are under. Even if they give lip service to being understanding, there is no way they could ever understand.
Hope you find some ideas for working with our kiddos and doing so in a gentle loving way even when they are provoking the heck out of you. It is not easy for sure but they hate it even more than we do. Take care, buddy

InsaneCdn

If you're reading posts around here, you'll see lots of references to "the book" ... "The Explosive Child". This book has a twin - same author, same subject material, but written from a "school" perspective instead of "home" perspective. Its called "Lost in School". Might be worth looking into. (Our family got both - the "home" version to keep, and the "school" version to lend out!)

katiedid

If you're reading posts around here, you'll see lots of references to "the book" ... "The Explosive Child". This book has a twin - same author, same subject material, but written from a "school" perspective instead of "home" perspective. Its called "Lost in School". Might be worth looking into. (Our family got both - the "home" version to keep, and the "school" version to lend out!)

Good suggestion, I'm off to find them now. :)

L

Liahona

I'm impressed you are looking up the diagnosis your kids have. Way to go.