New Here - Outadablue

O

outadablue

Good morning to all. I stumbled upon this site and began reading. I decided to sign up to be able to respond, but more so to read other's advice. I have absolutely no idea what all of the acronyms represent, like difficult child, husband, easy child, ..., so before I get started maybe someone could send me a link to study all the codes, so I won't sound too inexperienced. I became so depressed and felt so hopeless tonight that I typed into my search bar this statement: "I have a 15 yo special needs son who refuses to go to school , mom is all alone and desperate. Need help." This forum was the first on the list. I like what I've read so far. I have lost all my friends because of my son, he commands almost all of my time. I feel like I'm on a sinking ship in the middle of the ocean, and I'm sending out a may day. My son is ODD, unipolar, ADHD, Asperger's, anxiety relating to any major or unforseen change, minor tourettes (tics and twitching), learning disabilities, emotional problems, and non-existent executive functioning skills. The list goes on, I'll save more for the next post. Hope some of you can show me the ropes. This may just turn out to be my saving grace. I haven't had adult company in over 2 years, and feel completely isolated. I really enjoyed reading many of your posts and I feel I am in the right place. Holla back anyone!!

LittleDudesMom

Good Morning and Welcome!

I found your first post here at the bottom of another thread and have moved it to it's own thread so folks can meet you!

Here is the link to our FAQ forum: http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/f7/

If you go to the top left of this page and click on "Forum" it will take you to a Forum list where you can navigate through the site. You will also want to go up to the top right of the page and go through "Settings" and "Profile". You can set some preferences for the site and also do a profile signature like you see at the bottom of our posts. It really helps us remember member to member.

Glad you have found your way here - there are many who have children that share in many of your son's diagnosis's - you will find much support and comfort here. And, we are always in the mood to talk!

Personal interest - I spent all my summers in Ocean City! We had a second home there and my mom and the four of us kids lived there in the summer with dad commuting from Difficult Child on the weekends! Fond memories........

Sharon

susiestar

Roll With It
Hi and Welcome!! I know how you feel, and most others here do also because we have been there done that. Not a joke - you found a great place where you won't be judged, will be believed, and can find LOTS of support and help!!!

To understand what the acronyms mean, put your cursor on the acronym and a brief explanation will show up. For starters, difficult child is Gift from God aka difficult child, meaning the child who brought you here. easy child is perfect child, or child who did NOT bring you here/have major problems.

One quick question - in your list of your son's problems you list unipolar but don't say if it is unipolar depression or mania. Can you clarify?

What kind of testing has your son had, and who did it? Who gave him all those diagnosis's? What kinds of professionals have you seen/are you currently seeing?

Lots of hugs, more will pop in soon!

Susie

crazymama30

Welcome. Your son sounds like quite a handful, and I am sorry that your friendships have suffered. As others have stated, we have been there done that too many times to count. One of the only reasons I can maintain friendships is through work and texting/instant messaging. It is nearly impossible for me to talk on the phone. Hugs. I am interested to see the answers to the questions that others have posted, and wonder if your son takes any medications and if they help at all.

B

Bunny

Good morning, and welcome! I found this site recently as well, and in the few weeks I have been here I have found an amazing amount of support and help. Take a deep breath. I know exactly how you feel. I have lost some friendships because of my difficult child, too. That is very hard because you need friends now more than ever. But you are not alone. There are many of us here who have felt exactly like you do now. We're here to help.

You son definately sounds like he's got alot going on. How did he get diagnosed with all of those problems? Does he take any medications for any of the problems that he has?

I hope that you find this site as helpful as I have.

Pam