DIC, I am sorry to hear about all your trouble. I am new here also and I have been coming here to see that I am not alone with my difficult child and some have many more problems than I do. It hurts to see our children make the wrong choices and ruin their lives when we saw so much potential in them. The things on the site that keep me going are the stories where difficult children have turned their lives around and are productive people again. You are in my prayers. Mikekc

Me- Retired Army, civil servant
wife- RN, married for 8 years
difficult child- 19 year old son, college drop out, DUI, ODD
3 other sons doing well

Hi, Mike.

Welcome.

Barbara

DiC

Met with therapist here at home. It is difficult to do intake and try to recap everything at first visit. She discussed detachment, told me not to speak to anyone in the family about difficult child, and just concentrate on taking care of me :nurse:.

Coookie

DiC,

Believe me I know how hard it is not to concentrate on our difficult children.. and what they are doing.. but we have to take care of ourselves. :smile: She gave you wise advice. :smile: For me detaching has been a process, with many backslides... :bag: but each time I got up and tried again. :smile: There are so many wonderful people here who will help you through it and understand when you slip. :frown:

If I had a penny for every second I spent worrying about my difficult child and what he might do, or did do, I would be a billionaire. :rofl:.. instead all I have are wrinkles.. :smile: :rofl:

Sending gentle hugs..