New Here

pookiepotpie

Hi
My name is Melissa and I am a stay at home mom (stay at home mom) with 2 girl's. Makenna is 4 1/2 and Morgan is 2.

I am on this board because I think my 4 1/2 year old daughter might have ODD (oppositional defiant disorder)? We are currently waiting on her pediatrician to get us into a child psychologist and trying to find a new counselor/therapist.

I don't like to 'self' diagnose my daughter, but she has all the symptoms of ODD. So, we will just start there and see what happens.

I am constantly frustrated on 'how' to deal with this disorder? So, that is why we need help and suggestions. Feel free to send me any suggestions, thoughts or concerns. I want to do what is best for my daughter and no matter what happens I want her to know we love her and are there for her.

Thank you for listening.

smallworld

Welcome! I'm glad you found us, but sorry you needed to.

In general, ODD is not a helpful diagnosis. It is typically a description of a set of behaviors that is fueled by an underlying disorder (for example, anxiety, depression, autistic spectrum disorder, bipolar disorder, etc). Once the underlying disorder is identified and treated, the oppositional behaviors generally subside.

So . . . I'm going to ask some questions in the hopes of pointing you in the right direction for help:

What kind of behaviors is your daughter displaying that concern you?
How does she do with same-age peers?
Did she have any developmental or speech delays?
Any sensory issues (for example, sensitivity to clothing tags, loud noises, food textures, etc)?
Any mental health or substance abuse issues in the family tree?

Until you get your daughter in for an evaluation, we recommend getting your hands on a copy of The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. It has helped many of us here parent our extra-challenging children.

Again, welcome.

busywend

Welcome to the site! Glad you found us. Early intervention will be helpful.

What have you tried so far that did not work? Have you read about 1,2,3 Magic?

pookiepotpie

My daughter is showing:
temper tantrums at the drop of a hat
Always has to argue with rules and pretty much everything
Deliberately bothering and upsetting my little one & myself
Spiteful Attitude

She does ok with same-age...she just started a NEW preschool, the other one was more of a daycare setting. This is an actual preschool. Monday, Wednesday and Friday 2 hours a day. At the other preschool/daycare she didn't have any friends, BUT her cousin was in the same class and I think she used him as a crutch. Now at her new school she has made a friend.

No developmental or speech delays.

No sensory issues

No mental health issues or substance abuse issues in the family tree.

Bascially she has all the 10 symptoms of ODD and behavior issues.

I do have a copy of the explosive child, purchased it yesterday.