JJJ

Tigger has been increasingly unstable for about two months now. His Depakote levels have been dropping. He has become moody and aggressive. And very, very sad. I was able to get an emergency appointment with the psychiatrist (thank goodness for cancellations). He upped the Depakote again and added Seroquel at 25mg. Tig took the Seroquel tonight. The psychiatrist said it would knock him out -- he stayed up and watched "Bedtime Stories" and then had a nice conversation with husband and I. So it didn't knock him out, but it made him pleasant and he said he felt "more normal". Could be a placebo effect this soon, but I'll take what I can get!

I'm hoping the medication changes really kick in by this weekend. I refuse to send him back to school until he is more stable. They are so horribly ill equipped to deal with an unstable child. We are on spring break until Monday.

smallworld

Seroquel is a funny medication -- some kids will be knocked out at 25 mg and others won't. If it doesn't do the trick in a few days, you may need to ask the psychiatrist for a higher dose.

Good luck with the medication changes.

crazymama30

Here's hoping the medication changes work. I don't so much mind medication increases but new medications make me leary. Hope all goes well.

At least you got a good night out of it so far.

DammitJanet

Hope this combo really helps. Like Smallworld said, seroquel is funny. For some it takes a high dose and for some it only takes a little bit. When they first gave me seroquel several years ago they started me out on 100 mgs and I slept for 3 days straight and woke up like a psychotic witch! I threw the rx in the trash and vowed to never touch the stuff again...lol. Well about 7 or 8 months ago things got a bit hairy for me and they wanted me to try it again so I tried half of a 25 mg pill and it worked great for me! Now I am up to 50 mgs at night and I love it. No side effects and it lets me sleep well along with ambien.

Hope it works well for your son.

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't know how seroquel works, but years ago when I was struggling with severe depression, I took risperdal PRN. It worked quickly.

I'm hoping to get difficult child on this medication. I have a feeling it will take a higher dose to help her sleep.

I hope the medication increase and the new medication help Tigger. Keep us posted.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Seroquel has knocked down the bulk of difficult child 2's manic symptoms. He was very sedated at the lower dosages. He's on a high dose now (total 1100mg/day) and does very well on it. He is tired in the morning, but he gets through the day pretty well now. I don't think we'll be doing any medication changes until after school ends. Took us so long to get to this relatively stable place and I don't want to rock the boat.

JJJ

He slept through the night! He fell asleep about 10pm and did wake up until after 7am. He said "Mom, I slept like a baby!" Hopefully this is the first step back to my happy boy!

lizzie09

lizzie
Just glad that Seroquel worked for him ..It was great for my son too and really has given me hope for the future . The sedative effect did not stop him once he was motivated by someone..the low dose he was on is probably why he had sleepiness.

In our situation this drug did not cause increased appetite nor weight gain
but this is different with every child..

I am so pleased for you to have some good development:D