New medications! Let the fun begin...lol

DammitJanet

My psychiatrist and I have decided to add some new medications to my already overloaded cocktail...so fun! I think my poor neurotransmitters are probably waving little white flags screaming "I surrender" by now.

Anyway, we are going to be adding Wellbutrin XL 100 mgs twice a day in the hopes that we can stop my smoking. Now we know that this could cause problems with activation of mania or even seizures since I had several of them while in the hospital. Oh joy!

Soooo....we have added Seroquel XR 150 mgs at bedtime in the hopes in covers me the 24 hours to keep me somewhat calm from the Wellbutrin!

Plus I have my regular Seroquel 100 at bedtime along with my ambien. I am out like a light at night now.

So far I am titrating up on the wellbutrin. I have only taken it one time a day for three days. I will start the twice a day in two more days.

Here is hoping!

Not to mention my other medications. Lamictal, topamax, neurontin, klonopin, lorcet, zanaflex.

Im telling you, I rattle after I take my medications.

crazymama30

What about Chantix? Or would that be worse than the wellbutrin? I know that husband's psychiatrist may put him on chantix to quit chewing, but is going to wait untill he is a little more stable.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet I'm going to level with you because you want this to be successful. Welbutrin did nothing to help me quit smoking. Nada. All it did was make me plan murders (literally), but that was a medication reaction and doesn't count. husband used it for 6 months. He did quit. But saying he was a bear would be an enormous understatement. I tried to be patient, I really did. I lasted that 6 months......I still don't know how. Then I went with him to the docs and said too bad the man either lites up again or there will be a divorce. Because as time went on he just got worse.

husband did have some side effects with the chantix. (although some I think were in his imagination because they didn't appear until he saw the tv ad listing side effects lol) Genuine ones he had were mild. And he stopped smoking and no bear. A little touchy, but no bear. I took it too with no side effects at all. Actually it made me sleep better than I'd been doing at the time. My thing was I couldn't quit at the week mark because my blood levels weren't high enough. (happens) But did it at about 2 1/2 wks instead and never thought much about it. I wasn't a bear either.

Is there a reason doctor doesn't want to try the chantix first? In some ways I'd think it would be better for you since you have a mood diagnosis.

But good luck either way. I take so many pills these days I take them by the handfuls. If I took them one at a time I'd float down river from all the water I'd need to swallow them. lol ;)

DammitJanet

I tried Chantix and got the most horrible headaches ever. Not quite migraine variety but close. It didnt go away either after I stopped. It took me about a month after stopping the Chantix before the headache left so I am leery about trying it again. I also didnt quite quit either. I got down to about half a pack a day which was quite an improvement but still.

I dont know if the wellbutrin is going to work. I hope so. I used wellbutrin in the past with topamax and didnt have any ill effects so here is hoping.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
In that case I'd say the headaches weren't worth it. I hope the welbutrin works for you. Will keep body parts crossed.:D

DammitJanet

Im kinda interested to see just how wellbutrin effects me to be honest...lol. Kind of an experiment! Will I feel pretty, will I feel blessed? LOL...what is that song? It may help along with the topamax to kick the weight loss into gear again. THAT would be a huge blessing.

I wonder just how much I can trigger myself before I tip? Anyone wanna place bets?

susiestar

Roll With It
It sounds like you have a pretty good plan. I hope that it works and you can quit smoking. I posted a thread about a new smoking vaccine that may be released in 2012. It may be another tool to help you win this battle once and for all.

I admire you for taking on this battle. :bravo::bravo:

LittleDudesMom

Janet, good luck! Here you go.......

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.