New Movies with Asperger's Themes

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by 1 Day At a Time, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Todays New York Times has an interesting article on three new movies about individuals with Asperger's Syndrome.

Here's a link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/04/health/04aspe.html?ref=health

You may need to paste the link in your browser if it doesn't work from my posting.

I'm wondering, has anyone seen Adam or Mary and Max?

Valerie

2. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

Great! Thank you. I can't wait to see all those movies.

I loved reading LOOK ME IN THE EYE. I highly recommend it.

3. Fran

Fran Former Site Owner

I look forward to seeing more positive or accurate portrayal's of our kids.

Having a movie about Temple will be exciting. She and more importantly her mother have been the blueprint of how to raise a unique child with dignity and functionality.

Thanks for the info. I sent it on to others who would be interested in learning more about the kids in our lives.

4. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

husband and I saw ADAM last night! It was great!
    We had to rent it. It never came out in our area. Where we live, they only show movies with-lots of violence and Big Name Stars Who Can't Act. :(

Anyway, I really liked the movie. It had some great scenes, and while it stereotyped a bit with-the total organization Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and aerospace/engineering/science/math ability, it was still great. I would defintely recommend it.
    I'm going to buy it when I get a chance.

by the way, I read an interesting review online, where the film was previewed in Boston to a high profile Asperger's group. They really liked it, and some felt the way I did, about the high-tech stereotyping.
    Although, I wouldn't mind it if my difficult child picked up a bit of that ... ;)
    And why couldn't my difficult child be a neatnik like Adam?

5. Terry,

I'm really excited that you two liked Adam... Looks like I'm going to have to track it down as well , as I never saw an ad for it here either...

I wish our difficult child would be a neatnik as well! Maybe someday?

Valerie