New PETA ad...

DazedandConfused

I cant watch that Sarah MacLachlin ad either. I just want to go adopt all the poor animals.

Dont be so hard on the Animal Cops shows. Those ACO's have hard jobs. I watch the shows once in a while so I know more of what Jamie really does because he wont tell me all the bad stuff. He only tells me some of the funny stories. Once in a blue moon he tells me of a really bad thing that happens. Not often though.

Being an ACO can be harder than being a cop. People do such awful stuff to animals and animals are so helpless. They cant tell you who did it to them. Its kind of like being a Special Victims cop.

Janet,

It wasn't my intent to be hard on the Animal Cops shows. I know they have quite a following and there are happy endings. It just breaks my heart to the point that I can't get the images out of my head and it adversely impacts my sleep. I know that job is extremely tough! I know that (unfortunately) it is necessary and thank goodness there are people like your son that can do it. I'm pretty dang tough, but I think I would end up having a nervous breakdown from the trauma.

DammitJanet

Thanks Dazed...after I wrote that it occurred to me you meant it exactly the way you just explained it.

Back to Micheal Vick. I dont know for sure whose bright idea it was to stick him back in the spotlight advocating for anti-dogfighting. Whoever it was, they are idiots.

Jamie knew about the bust before it went down. Vick wasnt just letting his buddies run the ring from his property or letting them board the dogs there. He knew all about it, he participated materially. He owned a majority of those dogs. He fought those dogs and he participated in the killing of those dogs. He will deny to his death that he fought those dogs for money.

So I maintain that if Micheal Vick fought his dogs without fighting them for money OR he stood around and just watched any dogs fight, then he is one very sick individual becuase that means he just enjoyed watching a blood sport. He enjoyed watching living creatures being killed. If that isnt sociopathic behavior I dont know what is. I think it would be far better to say he was betting money on it than to say he just enjoyed the bloodlust. Money I can understand....the lust for killing is just sick.

But like I said, he cant say he gambled. It is against the NFL league rules. But you can do illegal things and come back into the NFL. Many players have committed crimes. There are tons who have been caught breaking the leagues drug policies and waltz right back in. Dont even get me started on that one.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Another problem I have with PETA is that a lot of shallow, empty-headed publicity hungry 'celebrities' make a big show of supporting it without having a clue what's it's really all about! They just think that supporting an 'animal rights' organization will make them look good and will be positive publicity.

And anymore the HSUS is becoming almost a branch of PETA!

ABSOLUTELY and AMEN!

N

Nomad

I never "really" heard the details of the Vick case...just tidbits here and there. Donna..your analysis..MOST interesting!!!! I think the details are are almost too much to deal with. From what I read here on this thread...OMG! They are GRUESOME!. Seems it continues to be disturbing and perplexing. PETA sure does seem publicity hungry, cold hearted and controlling Someone said "fringe..." seems like this word might work! I hope that HSUS knows what they are doing...but this latest affiliation sure does seem questionable (to say the least!) Hope someone is watching out for the dear pets/animals.

DazedandConfused

Some of the things that were done to the dogs are absolutely sickening and an hallmark of sociopathy. Many were tortured to their deaths and I don't use the word torture lightly.

Honestly, why would any organization want ANYTHING to do with Vick is beyond me.

If he is to play football, then let him donate his salary. His "work" I can do without.

donna723

"Some of the things that were done to the dogs are absolutely sickening and an hallmark of sociopathy."

I don't know all the clinical definitions but I don't know if you'd even consider Michael Vick to be a real sociopath ... I think he's almost something worse.

The worst one we ever had at work was years ago and he still gives me the creeps. A pure sociopath if there ever was one! I was part of a disciplinary board that heard a case against an inmate who had strangled another inmate to death because he poured water on his TV and ruined it. This was a small baby-faced kid barely out of his teens. He was actually quite pleasant to talk to - you could almost like him if you didn't know what he was capable of. He freely described to us how he did it and why he did it and was completely emotionless, like how you'd describe swatting a fly. He said he told the other guy he'd kill him if he damaged his property again and he chose to do it anyway so it was really his decision ... why should he care! Completely open, completely neutral, unemotional and guiltless about it. To him, this guy chose to die, so why should he care! They always have a good explanation that makes perfect sense to them for why they did something. And if they explain to you why they did it, they're confident that you will see it like they did. He didn't enjoy doing it but he felt no guilt either - just like swatting a fly! It's like the little girl in the old movie, "The Bad Seed".

But, in this, I think Janet has nailed it! It's like 'blood sport' to these people, like the early Romans watching the gladiators killing each other! They really get off on the blood and the gore and the violence. They thoroughly enjoy it! And it wasn't enough for them just to watch the dogs tearing each other apart, they had to participate in the cruelty and the killing! To me, that's so much worse! The real sociopath would do what he did right in front of you because he sees nothing wrong with it and feels no guilt. He has nothing to hide, and really can't help it. It's just the way his brain was made. But what Michael Vick and his buddies did was done in secret, hidden away because they KNEW it was wrong and they KNEW what would happen if they were discovered. To me, that's so much worse. And it wasn't for the money ... the gambling was just a sideline. It was the killing and the torturing of the dogs that they enjoyed!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I was speaking with the gal here that is the director of the ASPCA and she said that the most horrible thing we are up against in our county now that the rules have changed about making dog fighting a felony is the fighters and promoters are allowing these killing machines to run FREE after they loose. Instead of them dying in the ring and finding the evidence or killing them and having a carcas - they take them, and drive them somewhere, dump them and let them fend for themselves. This puts Pits, Am Staffs, Rottweilers, that have been fought and are hurt, bloody and dangerous weapons out on the street where YOUR kids play.

Each day I look at the web site that collects animals and the amount of Pit bulls that are collected is staggering - in just one truck EACH DAY - the numbers have increased from maybe 1-2 a day to 12-15 A DAY. Irresponsible owners who don't vaccinate, collar and chip their dogs have to pay HEFTY fines to get their dogs out of jail and the people who do are few. The city has made it so that it's cheaper to go and get a NEW puppy.

There's no one out here looking out for the kids who would be riding a bike or playing in their yard if one of these injured dogs saw them running or squealing? - a child or most any adult or elderly person would be defenseless. I just am never surprised by the stupidity of criminals. :ashamed:

DazedandConfused

But, in this, I think Janet has nailed it! It's like 'blood sport' to these people, like the early Romans watching the gladiators killing each other! They really get off on the blood and the gore and the violence. They thoroughly enjoy it! And it wasn't enough for them just to watch the dogs tearing each other apart, they had to participate in the cruelty and the killing! To me, that's so much worse! The real sociopath would do what he did right in front of you because he sees nothing wrong with it and feels no guilt. He has nothing to hide, and really can't help it. It's just the way his brain was made. But what Michael Vick and his buddies did was done in secret, hidden away because they KNEW it was wrong and they KNEW what would happen if they were discovered. To me, that's so much worse. And it wasn't for the money ... the gambling was just a sideline. It was the killing and the torturing of the dogs that they enjoyed!

I think you make a good point, Donna.