New psychiatrist search

crazymama30

I met with one of the 2 options I have for psychiatrists in the area. There are more, but I have narrowed it down to these 2 per many opinions of those I value.

She was great. Answered my questions the right way, does regular bloodwork and ekgs of kiddos on stims and ap's. I asked her what she would do if she wanted to change or add a medication and I did not? She said she did not see herself as the end all chief of all chief's, and that I know my child best. She would ask me what I thought. She goes to the national conference for pediatric psychs everyother year to stay current.

Very open, and gave me 45 minutes of her time free.

The downsides? She only works during school hours (not a big deal to me), does not bill insurance--she gives me the paperwork and I bill them so I have to pay cash up front (but I just paid off easy child's braces, so I could just use my flex spending acct). She has no receptionist but that means that she calls you back herself.

The really amazing thing? Once you are a patient she gives you her cell phone and home phone! She said she feels that if she had a child on psychoactive medications she would want to be able to contact the doctor at anytime!

I have to pick up difficult child's records from psychiatrist's office tommorrow, and then make an appointment with the other guy. He is going to be really hard pressed to beat the first one.

I am waiting to see what the reaction will be when I tell them I want the records back, they do not get to keep them as I am not transferring care yet. I tried to get that across to the receptionist, but not sure if they really get it. They are the largest group of psychs in town and kinda have a big dog attitude.

crazymama30

Oh, and guess what??? She only changes ONE medication at a time!!! Woo Hoo. I am going to check out the other guy, I feel I need to check out all my options.

M

ML

I agree, this one will be hard to beat. Let us know how it goes with the big dogs.

Josie

She sounds like a good one! Just be aware that your insurance probably won't pay you back the entire fee. Almost all of the doctors I have liked the best don't take insurance. Honestly, I think it is because insurance doesn't pay them the amount they need for the time they take.

My daughter's psychiatrist charged $160 for a medication check appointment. The insurance said $130 was reasonable and reimbursed me 70% of that, since he was out of network. So they paid $91 and we paid the rest. He was worth it. When my daughter wasn't doing well, that he called me from his cell phone every day on his way home to see how she was.

But, if it will bother you to pay more than a copay for the visit, you should consider this.

crazymama30

I figured my insurance would reimburse little, if any. She is out of network, so I think I will have either a $500 or $1000 deductible. If she is the best option, then it will not bother me. I want what is best for difficult child, and am fortunate that I can even consider this.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I've found that communication and flexibility is key to a good psychiatrist. They need to listen well. They need to be willing to explain things clearly. They need to be available by phone or pager when you need them, they need to be flexible enough to squeeze you into their schedule during times of crisis.

Sounds like this first one you met would be a really good fit. But I also agree that comparing other options is important, too. Good luck!