New pup coming home on friday.

Jody

We have a new pup coming home on Friday. Black and tan cocker spaniel. Anyone have a cocker spaniel? She's 8 weeks old and sweet. Hope she stays that way. My Broady is a very sweet dog. I hope this goes well. We have been bringing home her scent on us and a blanket for weeks getting Broady used to her smell. We need name ideas!!! We like female girl names.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I wanna photo! :)

Well, don't be surprised if she piddles when she gets excited even once grown. Some do, most don't. And it's just a teeny bit, not a lot. Heck, get Maggie excited enough and she'll piddle a wee bit too. LOL

Oh! How exciting! Broady is young enough to really enjoy having her around. You might have more issues with him trying to play with her to death than anything. LOL

Would have to see her before even suggesting a name though. :)

witzend

I know that they shed, and they are diggers. Broady will probably be pleased as punch that you brought home the best toy EVER for her!

Jody

I dont know how to put a picture up. I haven't done it in so long. I'll work on it this afternoon.

DammitJanet

My girls are named after one of my favorite TV shows...NCIS. I have Abby and Ziva. Do you have a favorite TV show?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Congrats on your new bundle of fur. I LOVE their ears, and respect their BOUNDLESS energy. Get a good groomer.....and TIP well.

Jody

I was having a moment of omg, what have I got myself into last night, and she is not even home yet. I said all along I would never have another dog but a golden. I know there are many wonderful dogs out there, but I literally adore golden retrievrs and I cannot believe my friendship with my boy. I was so depressed at the time that we got Broady and he was just what I needed. Every morning it was like I was a little kid, on Christmas morning. I am not sure that I want to share my boy, and what if this pups a terror? I want my friendship with Broady to stay the same. I am without a lot of human contact, (my choice), but never feel alone ever when I am at home with Broady. I am going to try to be positive, maybe broady will really enjoy having another dog to play with. She is brown and black and oh so cute. I love the puppy breath smell.

Malika

I like suggesting names :)
Ellie
Dolly
Daisy
Molly
Sandie
Poppy
And if you don't like any of those... perhaps it will inspire you to think of one you do like!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jody

I did the same thing with Maggie about 2 days in from having her home. I thought What the heck? Why am I doing the puppy thing again, I'm insane. (of course having to go outside every 20 mins can do that to a person LOL )

Then when I realized her previous owner had done nothing to socialize the pups to humans..........I was like uh oh, what did I get myself into! But I allowed Molly to spank as necessary.........and at first that was a LOT.........although Molly would never ever hurt a puppy, she sure sounded mean. But it taught Maggie what she didn't get from her Mom.........and helped me teach her how to be with people. And I'll tell ya.......it was touch and go there for a bit because Maggie is smart as they come but it just wasn't clicking and I looked like I'd just left the battle field some days from her trying to play with me like I was mom dog and getting far too aggressive.

But it's been 6 wks and I wouldn't trade her for the world. I firmly believe she was truly meant to joint the family. Molly hasn't loved another dog this much since Rowdy. She got along with the others and loved them, but her bond with Maggie is special....extra close. I haven't seen Molly roll around on the floor and play since she and Rowdy played that way, my god that has been almost 10 yrs! And Maggie is brightening up Molly's last days, not to mention Rowdy's.

Ok, so the puppy accidents are getting a tad annoying. But they don't happen very often and usually it's my fault not hers. (I don't catch her signal or see her at the door) But she's already learned Sit to perfection, Leave It is doing super good (which helped with her manners a LOT), And she has a bunch of others she's working on.

But the noise level in the house is over the top at least 3 times a day. It's doggie playtime. :rofl: It might hurt my ears, but it's the best entertainment in the world! Hilarious! And it makes me grin because it's so nice to see Molly so darn happy.

I've known a few people who had cocker spaniels.........and I've gotten to know the dogs well. A well trained one can be as much joy as a golden. :) We had one that lived next door to us for a couple of years. His people used to toss his rubber ball up the stairs, a game meant to give him one heckova workout. It was so funny, but he loved it.

Jody

I am sure it will be okay. I love dogs, and after hearing your story, I look forward to seeing Broady and the pup playing together. My daughter has been visiting the puppy since she was born, and she seems to be very good natured. They sure are cute puppies. I am glad Molly is having some fun with Maggie!!!! I will have to try the ball up the steps things. lol. Broady loves to play catch too.

BusynMember

I have had two cockers and right now I have three cocker mixes. They are one of my favorite breeds, however my cockers have been high maintenane and when these babies climb the rainbow bridge, I am n Occupational Therapist (OT) getting any more cocker spaniels. They can have behavior issues and all mine do. Maybe it's the owner...lol. My 100% cocker spaniel has always been aggressive with strangers who come into the house or when he is in the car. I mean, I can take him for a walk and he's GREAT with people, even infants. But don't tread on his territory. He WILL nip or even bite (we usually put him in his crate when somebody comes over). Cockers can be biters, so socialize, socialize, socialize!

Also, our first cocker spaniel liked to "hunt." They ARE bird dogs. I would be careful about letting the pup out without a leash (our dog would sneak out anyway) and a fenced yard can be your friend. Many times Prince came home with a little gift, such as a rabbit!!!! Prince also nipped a little girl who wandered into our yard and was messing with him. I actually think it was the fault of the little girl and the mother who let her wander in our yard, but cockers can be tempermental. So I hope you have a sweet girl who loves everyone, and congrats on the new bundle of joy! Cockers are very cute and love their owners to pieces!

Jody

We got the dog last night. Oh boy. She is cute as can be, but I am afraid something is wrong with her. Maybe just because she is in a new environment. She yelps when we pick her up like she's hurting. Not everytime but quite a bit. I have checked over her body by giving it a massage and there is no swelling or specific spot of pain. She does cry a lot and is whining a lot. Did her business outside, yeah. She's eight weeks old, i just think she seems so little compared to Broady when I brought him home. She seems like such a baby. Oh my goodness what am I in for, lol, I think it's gonna be a busy weekend.

InsaneCdn

have you got all the puppy-soothers ready?
Like, an old wind up clock hidden in a blanket, and maybe a hot-water-bottle hidden in another?
Poor puppy. not used to being "alone".