New respite

Wiped Out

Staff member
for difficult child. The place we have been getting our respite through won't be working with us anymore after April. The main place is still working with us and I received a call from difficult child's cm that they found someone willing to take difficult child for respite.

I'm hoping he will like this place a bit more than the other place. This person has two children 12 and 15 along with a dog and two cats. Apparently she wasn't going to do respite anymore but when she heard husband and I were both teachers (she is a teacher too) she said yes!

I'm not sure when his first weekend will be but I am glad they found someone and she sounds very nice! I was worried they would have a ton of trouble finding someone because I know there is a long waiting list for people who need respite.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so glad they found someone willing to take him for respite! Teachers should have SOMEONE willing to cut them a break when they need it!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
:whew:

Sharon, I'm beyond relief (as you are too, I imagine) that another respite provider has been found. In my experience once you are on the list for respite you stay on the list - you don't drop to the bottom again.

And your difficult child is more than a handful ~ someone is finally beginning to recognize the need for this type of service for your family. difficult child has no vote or say; can't even whine about it. (At least, that's what I tell kt & now wm who is getting respite from group home.) Play by the rules you get to stay home ~ give me huge loads of carp & you're out the door to respite.

difficult child doesn't need to like the place (it helps) & I have a feeling that he's so used to beat up on (figuratively & otherwise) that he misses his "outlet".

Use this as much as possible. (Glad the teacher connection got you an in.)

Wiped Out

Staff member
TM-Thanks! You are right, we do need the break!

Susie-Thanks-it was nice to get a break due to being a teacher-I'll take whatever little connection I have to get respite!

Linda-Thanks-I am beyond relief. For now we will get respite one weekend a month-which is great! Unfortunately the service we have is only planned to go through December-I'm hoping they are able to extend it.