New school - same district (5th grade)

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
We decided to switch schools this year. We are in the same district but different school. We do not know anyone at this new school. When I enrolled difficult child I spoke with the school psychologist and she told me they would just do the same things the other school did as far as his IEP. They said we could request an IEP meeting if we wanted. It kind of seems like they should do that anyway since we are new to this school and they don't know us.

Do you think I should request a meeting or just wait and see how it goes? I don't want to come off all hyper about it. Lol. I also would like to write a letter to his new teacher and the new sped teacher just to give them an idea if what he needs help with, etc. but I am having a hard time getting started. Don't want to go overboard but at the same time I know how hard it can be once things have gotten out of control. I also know from experience that sometimes teachers don't even know which students have iep's right away.

Any advice for our situation? Tia!

T

TeDo

Usually, when you change schools, they work of the current IEP for the first 30 or so days then have a meeting to make any changes to fit the new school. In this case, since it's the same district, the entire file should be available to them and the resources "should" be the same as far as availability. I would maybe wait and see and get in touch with the new SpEd director after the 30 days are up OR sooner if you notice something not being followed.

As for the letter, I would hit the "high", most helpful things. MOST common issues and things that help the best. Keep it to a single page, maybe bullet format or chart format with "behavior" and "things that help" headings. Keep it simple and easy to remember.

Good luck!

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Usually, when you change schools, they work of the current IEP for the first 30 or so days then have a meeting to make any changes to fit the new school. In this case, since it's the same district, the entire file should be available to them and the resources "should" be the same as far as availability. I would maybe wait and see and get in touch with the new SpEd director after the 30 days are up OR sooner if you notice something not being followed.

As for the letter, I would hit the "high", most helpful things. MOST common issues and things that help the best. Keep it to a single page, maybe bullet format or chart format with "behavior" and "things that help" headings. Keep it simple and easy to remember.

Good luck!

Thanks TeDo! Awesome feedback as always! I appreciate it. We switched primarily because my youngest is starting Kindergarten and our school didn't offer all day K. I am excited but nervous at the same time (more so about difficult child). difficult child is hoping for a fresh start. I'm crossing my fingers! :)

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I gave the new school a copy of his IEP when we enrolled him. Should I also give the teacher a copy or just a high level bulleted overview?

T

TeDo

A full blown IEP can be overwhelming for a teacher at the beginning of the year. For now, do the bullet sheet and if issues come up down the road, address them then by showing him/her the full IEP. They have access to student IEP's and the SpEd coordinator should provide the teacher with it. You're just trying to draw his/her attention to the most important things he/she NEED to know.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Gotcha! Thanks and I agree. I don't want to overwhelm him! We had at BBQ at the school tonight and got to meet his teacher. So far so good. First male teacher he has ever had. My little bug is starting Kindergarten too! Good times!