New school tour went great! (After he refused to get out of the car)

TerryJ2

Somehow, we made it on time, and got a great tour. It was so nice and open and happy. The reception area in the main office is decorated with-a fishtank and fish motif, and it is so different than sitting in the hall at the old school, amidst dark Medieval paintings paintings and crucifixes.
The school counselor is bright and bubbly and told difficult child "We're here for you whenever you need us. Our doors are always open (in fact, the VPrincipal's door was open and he introduced himself) and we want to help you succeed."
When we got outside, difficult child said, "I wish XXXX had told me that ... 'We want you to succeed.' Only Miss May said that. Everyone else said, 'You'll do your homework or we'll kick you out.'"
Different attitude. I hope it works! Fingers crossed.
He starts tomorrow.
P.S. The lunchroom has real food and a lot of junk food. And a separate section for Mexican food, like the airport. I could see the wheels turning in difficult child's head ...

Last edited:
Terry,

My fingers are crossed for a fresh start. It always helped us to have one teacher that our difficult child could check in with , could you difficult child get that assistance as well? In difficult child's case it was a home teacher who worked with him when he was recovering after various surgeries. They developed a special bond (as much as difficult child can); and just knowing she was there at school seemed to reassure him.

Valerie

klmno

Great news!

Here, parents can put money into a lunch account and have the option of notifying cafeteria staff directly that the account money is to be used for lunch only, meaning no junk food- only the planned school lunch options may be purchased with account money. So difficult child could choose between the chef's salad or the chicken sandwich and milk, for example, but couldn't buy cookies. Now, if I sent him with cash as a reward for something, then he could use the cash and get an ice cream or soda or whatever. (This was in middle school, not elementary or high school.)

K

Kjs

Sounds like a very happy school! And having someone believe in you makes such a big difference. So happy for you.

susiestar

Roll With It
So glad that this went so well!! Having a teacher he can check in with, discuss problems with, etc... made a HUGE difference for Wiz. For most of jr high he ate lunch with my jr high english teacher. She had a group that ate in her room and talked, etc.... She often helped them understand the teacher's perspective, which helped. It was also a great help for Wiz because the noise in the cafeteria was incredibly loud. He doesn't function well with that, not at all. I have a feeling that your difficult child will find a teacher he can bond with, and that will help him a TON!

I hope that he is very successful there. A bright, open atmosphere that is welcoming can make a big difference for a student.

You may need to get a note from the doctor regarding difficult child's wheat problems. The doctor will need to specify that difficult child cannot have anything with gluten, or wheat, or whatever (usually gluten). Otherwise the cafeteria will be required to give him the bun with the sandwich, the cake or cookie that is part of the meal, etc... Given the problems it causes for your difficult child, and the junk food available, this letter (may be written on a prescription form - some docs do it that way) will be important. The school may have a form the doctor needs to sign.

When we need a form from the doctor I usually write out what it needs to say. It saves the doctor time thinking about what to write and keeps things from slipping through the cracks.

This may be exactly what your difficult child needs.

TerryJ2

He liked it! He talked up a storm in the car, about Spanish class. He's never done that b4. He always tells me to shut up when I ask him how his day went.
He says this school is more organized and easier to figure out in regard to the schedule, etc. He got his planner today, and liked the idea that the entire school yr calendar is printed on the back of it. (Sheesh, I could have done that with-the old school, but never thought it was important to him.)

He also confessed that he didn't really need 1/2 day to avoid a meltdown. "Mom, any kid would have taken a half day if they'd been given the choice. What would you do?"

"I wanted to transition you slowly because you keep saying you have issues with-anxiety. I didn't want you to go ballistic."

"I wouldn't go ballistic. I'd be able to handle it. Yeah, I've got a little bit of anxiety, but I can handle it. I just wanted to go for a half day."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhh!

I have to admit, it's kind of funny. Brat.
:meh:

klmno

Better this than going a whole day and at the 6th hour of the first day something coincidentally happen that ruins it for him!! Be happy and hope it lasts!!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Well now it is like he is out there in the "real" world! Sounds like they will try to help him. Maybe he will develop the tools he needs to mature and grow into an independent young man!
I am so happy for you and him. Let's hope it lasts.

TerryJ2

Thank you.
I got a note from his psychiatrist yesterday outlining difficult child's treatment and stating that he needs an IEP. I got one from the therapist, too. Fingers crossed for the mtng Monday!

klmno

That's good, Terry! Although the sd will do their own evaluation, those notes should "encourage" them to proceed with one instead of remaining firm that the 504 will suffice.